What's new
What's new

Emco V10-P

DaveCanada

Plastic
Hallo fellas,
I just picked up a Emcov10-p machine for $1500 CAD, it came with a ton of tools, several chucks, bunch of bar stock. Long story short, it was a good deal.
Im a totally new in the world of turning metal in to something useful (or just for the hell of it). I'm a plumber by trade and and a hobby motorcycle customizer. So the need for a big machine is not a real thing a bench lathe should do the job.
Anyway, I did noticed a couple things on my unit that I just would like to understand better.
One thing its it seams that the machine has a hard time to run in the higher speed in some gear positions when its to cold. I thought the oil could be to heavy for it, so i was wondering if my thoughts are tight?
Also is there anybody out here who's got a manual PDF file for this machine? It seams its not that easy to get one.
I thing the machine got a bit of abuse by the previous owner, one of the gears in the gearbox has some ware on it, probably by changing the from lower to higher gears when it was still running, even when it says in three languages not to do that... I will replace all the fibre gears as soon I can.
The machine came with a quick tool change post and several knives, like I mentioned I'm new to this world, and it seams like some of the knives are to "big" for this machine. They fit perfect in the tool post but the tip of the cutting tool dose not end up whit the centre of the tail stock and sits a bit higher.
Is there a specific tool size I should go with?
Thx for know, I will play around more with it to day and see how much more questions I will have after today.

I have seen Emco Maximats in use in industry, not just home shops. They were mostly very well made machines. A local stainless steel mill used one to make tensile test specimens in their laboratory in the 1960's. I bought one surplus from a major local electronic company about 35 years ago. I soon found that, in my garage in the winter, the motor did not have enough power to start the spindle because of the cold oil. I also found that a plastic tumbler gear was very easy to break. Back then, replacement gears were available, but probably not now. I quickly found a new owner for it without ever actually making anything on it.

Larry

The "oil" issue is common, and is exacerbated by a marginal torque (and impossible to find replacement ) 2 speed motor. It's already low viscosity oil (if i recall correctly, SAE10), so don't go reduce it further. In my cold shop I just had a simple 60w silicone pad heater on the headstock. Before that, ran it at the low speed setting for 10 minutes each morning.

Back