What's new
What's new

Employees are burning me out

I am going to turn the cards on to myself and talk about my faults and failures.

I may be the worst possible employee but for the weirdest reasons. I am a highly career/goal driven individual. It doesn’t help that I have Asperger’s but I don’t like using that as an excuse. If I don’t see things going my way and going in the direction that I want my career and my life to go I get really really aggravated.

My issues are I need to work for someone to earn a living, I do not have the financial means what so ever to go out on my own.

But I also don’t want anyone else in control of my life, my career, or any direction my life is to go.

I have always been very open about my goals.

I will be the best employee I can possibly be if you help me get to where I want to be.

If you can’t or won’t help me. Then get out of my way.

But I also don’t want anyone else in control of my life, my career, or any direction my life is to go.
Control is an illusion.

Even if you're in business for yourself, you're at the collective mercy of your customers, suppliers, and employees.

If I don’t see things going my way and going in the direction that I want my career and my life to go I get really really aggravated.
Adaptability is a key aspect of successful individuals. You don't make it to the top by having things your way every single time. You get there by picking your battles, wisely.

Control is an illusion.

Even if you're in business for yourself, you're at the collective mercy of your customers, suppliers, and employees.

Adaptability is a key aspect of successful individuals. You don't make it to the top by having things your way every single time. You get there by picking your battles, wisely.

I guess the better description would be being in control of my own life on my term. I don't want someone else in control of what I can and can't do, what opportunities I do or don't get, or what avenues I decide to explore. I want to steer my own boat.

Yep. You didn't like my comment in the other thread and won't like this one either. If you're mild aspie, find a job where you can make your own peace and your boss shields you from the outside BS. When you start dealing with all the garbage of being self-employed you have to become a diplomat. The urge to choke stupid people will overwhelm you. You have to work with people who think that since they're paying you, they are better than you and get to dictate how you do things. You have to deal with government organizations that have no clue about what it takes to run something and they aren't willing to work with you.

Just a typical example: a guy bought a Haas GR510 gantry router for making stone countertops in a California beach town. He'd bring in a Faro arm setup and hyper-scan all your walls and the cabinets. He'd take the scan data back to his shop where he'd design all your counters and cutouts in his CAD program. Then he'd do his cutter paths and send it to the Haas to make perfect-fit slabs every time.

The city told him no (after buying the equipment). They freaked out that he had tap water coming off his machine and washing into a floor drain. Literally out of the city water pipe, sprayed at the diamond cutter and then down the drain. The only thing he added to the water is literally diamond particles and freaking sand from cutting the granite or quartz!

Nope, city wanted him to capture all the water and reclaim the "industrial waste" (sand) he was producing. Couldn't put it in the trash. Had to pay to have it hauled somewhere else. He was in the middle of permit and business license hell when I met him. I'd like to know what ever came from that. Super nice dude. He sat next to me in the Haas training class in 2004.

Councils dont like fine sediment going into the drainage........I knew a crowd would build up a foot of mud in a rented shed sawing up sandstone ......they moved around ,until the council pinged them for blocking the drains ,they theyd move on again......I had a regular job moving their big saws .

Councils dont like fine sediment going into the drainage........I knew a crowd would build up a foot of mud in a rented shed sawing up sandstone ......they moved around ,until the council pinged them for blocking the drains ,they theyd move on again......I had a regular job moving their big saws .

The local council has flow meters on some of the drains for the big industry players where I live. There are huge issues of illegal drainage. They know who has dumped what, how much, and where from.

Every time it rains, the hillsides around him flow with mud. Not far from him an entire neighborhood was lost maybe ten years back when the whole mountain slumped and buried the place. This guy was only flowing the muddy water into the drain (storm drains, not the sewer). His actual sand wouldn't flow to the drains in the first place. He was sweeping and shoveling that small amount to the dumpster. Every time it rains, the hillsides wash many hundreds of times as much water and muddy clay through the same storm water drains. It was a case of the city not understanding or caring. I figured the diamond debris coming from the cutters should be increasing the value of the land.

Anything I say about this is jaded. I have worked in the trade and for my employer for 12 years and had an injury last year and spent a year as best I can recovery. Now after all those years I am treated as absolutely useless with no value. All because I can't stand at a machine anymore.

So as far as I am concerned the entire industry can crash and burn and be shipped off to China. I couldn't care less anymore.

All those years only to be kicked to the gutter absolutely broke and useless at 35 years old with nowhere else to go.
With that attitude it's not surprising you are having problems.

I was a soldier, change of government and politics meant it wasn't a viable proposition anymore. Did I blame anyone, no I retrained as a tool, jig and diemaker. Set up a business refurbishing dot matrix print heads, seen one of those lately. Went back to tool making. Lost my homeland because of stupid racist policies set up by my forefathers. Found another homeland. Ended up in Australia. Tool makings all gone to China, set myself up designing and making my own products. Went to China on a business trip for a client, got a virus and almost died. Never quite got back to my old self
Client dumped me, blame client or China for my bad luck definitely not. None of this was easy, but then no one said life was easy. Here's the easy part, get up dust yourself off and keep on trucking. Or as my Aussie friends like to say "toughen up buttercup"

With that attitude it's not surprising you are having problems.

I was a soldier, change of government and politics meant it wasn't a viable proposition anymore. Did I blame anyone, no I retrained as a tool, jig and diemaker. Set up a business refurbishing dot matrix print heads, seen one of those lately. Went back to tool making. Lost my homeland because of stupid racist policies set up by my forefathers. Found another homeland. Ended up in Australia. Tool makings all gone to China, set myself up designing and making my own products. Went to China on a business trip for a client, got a virus and almost died. Never quite got back to my old self
Client dumped me, blame client or China for my bad luck definitely not. None of this was easy, but then no one said life was easy. Here's the easy part, get up dust yourself off and keep on trucking. Or as my Aussie friends like to say "toughen up buttercup"

Yeah my post sounds bad. There is a lot more to it. It goes beyond the work actually. There is big time skeletons in the closet between my direct boss (who is the owner) and I. It goes really deep and really personal.

I was taking everything in stride until he went personal once he did that all gloves were off.

Yeah my post sounds bad. There is a lot more to it. It goes beyond the work actually. There is big time skeletons in the closet between my direct boss (who is the owner) and I. It goes really deep and really personal.

I was taking everything in stride until he went personal once he did that all gloves were off.
Look on the bright side. The AB's won against Ireland and you've got a new government. Not sure if the last ones good or bad. Everything you have learnt in your 12 years has some value in another field. There is a huge skills shortage around the world. I know NZ is not immune from this. Cheer up and get out there and start looking for something. And good luck.

If you want actual burning out,the sandblasters put on a guy with a Masters in something or other as a laborer......he was a wrong un as the poms say .....he would use psychology to wind up some of the dumber ones ,and was very dismissive about all of his workmates ............he set fire to some rubber lined ducting ,causing a loss of $50,000,and I caught him setting a fire in the paint shed ..........he was also stealing stuff ,and had a crafty plan to incriminate me..........anyhoo,the partners wouldnt fire him ,cause he had a university degree (some kind of magic ............when I quit ,the new manager was planning to make him "Safety Officer" ......what a joke .

regardless of whether you get financially compensated for it.
That's the whole point of working, to be financially compensated, I have more skills, I'll want more pay, it's a simple transaction.
When I first came to Australia I was working as a toolmaker and for some strange reason the cnc operators were paid about $3/hr more than a toolmaker. One of the cnc mill operators went off sick for about 6 weeks and the boss came down and said he'd looked at my CV and saw that I could program and operate cnc machines including heidenhain controls, I answered in the affirmative and he told me I was going to be operating the mill until the operator was back from his sick leave.
I said oh good, a pay rise, he said no I would be staying on my current toolmakers rate, I said ok, I'll be staying in my current toolmakers job then.
It went back and forth until I asked him if a customer came to him and wanted a modification to a tool that was more complicated than the tool he had originally ordered would he charge the customer extra... I got my extra $3/hr.
As an employee I learned that I have to treat myself as a business, just like the business's I worked for, and just like said business's, don't give away anything for free.

That's the whole point of working, to be financially compensated, I have more skills, I'll want more pay, it's a simple transaction.
When I first came to Australia I was working as a toolmaker and for some strange reason the cnc operators were paid about $3/hr more than a toolmaker. One of the cnc mill operators went off sick for about 6 weeks and the boss came down and said he'd looked at my CV and saw that I could program and operate cnc machines including heidenhain controls, I answered in the affirmative and he told me I was going to be operating the mill until the operator was back from his sick leave.
I said oh good, a pay rise, he said no I would be staying on my current toolmakers rate, I said ok, I'll be staying in my current toolmakers job then.
It went back and forth until I asked him if a customer came to him and wanted a modification to a tool that was more complicated than the tool he had originally ordered would he charge the customer extra... I got my extra $3/hr.
As an employee I learned that I have to treat myself as a business, just like the business's I worked for, and just like said business's, don't give away anything for free.

I like your style right there. Show me the money.

Because this mindset of doing the absolute bare minimum hurts the employee much more than it hurts the employer. Why would you want to waste 40+ hours every week of your life by just existing at work, waiting for the moment you get to go home for a few hours until you can do the same thing over again the next day?

Once you set a habit of challenging yourself, seeking difficult assignments, and learning new skills, your time at work becomes much more fulfilling. Also you will notice that work becomes less of a burden, thus giving you more energy at home.
This sounds like a propaganda statement from 1950's USSR.
How does doing your job to the best of you ability but to the maximum of what you are paid for hurt you more than your employer?

Show me the money.
I worked for a prototype company and things were quite so I retrofitted a lathe with a Linux based CNC contoller that I built all the electronics for. The boss came to me and said I could build them a 5 axis router. My response was I'll do it for $150k and you pay for the materials seeing as you hired me as a toolmaker/CNC programmer/machinist/designer not as a machine tool builder. Obviously I never got the $150k and obviously he never got the 5-axis router.

I saw a job listing recently. Above the pay rate they were offering all these perks like insurance and membership benefits to things and vouchers.

My thoughts went straight to, stuff all that stuff. Take whatever that is costing you and give me more money. I already have the best insurance I can buy so give me more money.

More money is just more tax ..........I was able to take free diesel from the refinery ,just one drum a week was the equivalent of $300 tax free .........one week I took 12 drums ,but that was to stock up for when I quit.

More money is just more tax ..........I was able to take free diesel from the refinery ,just one drum a week was the equivalent of $300 tax free .........one week I took 12 drums ,but that was to stock up for when I quit.

I have done the math. No pay rise will ever send me backwards. No matter how much more I pay in tax I will always have more in my pocket.

Back