What's new
What's new

End mill chipping

Ok, so that's a live-tool lathe, not a mill-turn. That type of live-tool system is rather short-lived, and requires relatively frequent rebuilding (as compared to a mill spindle), replacing gears and bearings as needed. How long ago was that live-tool unit last rebuilt? Has it been crashed or abused? How sloppy is it?

The machine is only 7 months old and hasnt had any major crashes so far. Maybe a bit abused.
Maybe put a dowel pin in that holder, put a test indicator on it, and see if it moves any when you push on it by hand. But I'm a mill guy, maybe folks with more experience with these live-tool setups can give better advice.

Also, what brand and specific cutter are you using?

The stickout is only 20mm. Now its doing an up-cut. Could that be an issue?
What's an upcut :LOL:

Usually the phrase upcut refers to the spiral on the end mill flutes, upcut(standard), down cut(revers spiral), and straight.

Are you referring to doing a conventional cut instead of a climb cut?

remedial, I know but, wanna make sure we are on the same page.

Ok, the machine is new, assume it hasn't been in a large car crash with the live tool(?) (haha probably has, it's a machine shop)
10mm, 20mm hang out, 4 flute,
coolant? hi pressure, low pressure, high volume...?

1600ripums sounded slow to me, not at the shop this week, so, and I don't know these piece of shit live tooling capabilities, they always seemed pretty limited to me.

So if you have bumped the live tool, how does it sound?
throw a piece of carbide, end mill, drill in backwards, whatever precision pin in the collet and check runout.
try increasing rpms up to 2200-2500, climb cut

from the horses mouth.

edit: also, you may want to check the axial alignment of the tool/live tooling, if it has been bumper it could be angled, this could cause some chip'n.

1714742432589.png

Last edited:
What's an upcut :LOL:

Usually the phrase upcut refers to the spiral on the end mill flutes, upcut(standard), down cut(revers spiral), and straight.

Are you referring to doing a conventional cut instead of a climb cut?

remedial, I know but, wanna make sure we are on the same page.

Ok, the machine is new, assume it hasn't been in a large car crash with the live tool(?) (haha probably has, it's a machine shop)
10mm, 20mm hang out, 4 flute,
coolant? hi pressure, low pressure, high volume...?

1600ripums sounded slow to me, not at the shop this week, so, and I don't know these piece of shit live tooling capabilities, they always seemed pretty limited to me.

So if you have bumped the live tool, how does it sound?
throw a piece of carbide, end mill, drill in backwards, whatever precision pin in the collet and check runout.
try increasing rpms up to 2200-2500, climb cut

from the horses mouth.

edit: also, you may want to check the axial alignment of the tool/live tooling, if it has been bumper it could be angled, this could cause some chip'n.

View attachment 438378
thanks mate✌️✌️✌️, Hope this will work

Here's a thought. The rigidity issue may be in the part, not the machine or cutter. Is this feature on a long, skinny part that might be flexing or vibrating under the load of the cut?

Back