What's new
What's new

End Of An Era in American Manufacturing---The last 747

Hahaha - Yes, at the concept stage, the 380 was to have a jacuzzi option etc. Some of the ideas were pure sales BS.
One of the concepts was for the China market - standing only. And with a slight stretched azz, they were talking of 900 people per load....
Some of the planes are kitted with "luxurious bars" though.
But nothing beats Tex....
You have too good a sense of humor there Barbter. What can I say I prefer American made things and besides Boeing is very good as are many other American companies. Saying that I love things European also. Indicators and machinist measuring devices are some of the ver best and I like Japanese and even some Chinese also. I know little about what Russia would offer. I do not harbor any dislike of anyone besides American. I just prefer American. It has cost me a lot doing that as in the cars I have bought over the years.

Ohhhh trust me. I used to say "if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"
Because I never liked all the scarebus issues - there were too many that came down - i remember 1x specifically where the crash boxes were removed and swapped out....:rolleyes:
But then came the Max.....HubbaHubba....
I am glad I do not have to fly for a while. Really the Airbus I flew in twice in the last month one was rattling and noisy and the other one was much better. I noticed I could not hear the flight attendants super fast instructions. (Younger generation often speaks way too fast really. It is quite annoying to a senior citizen even one as nice as me. :DOf course my hearing is less than, listening to machines removing metal for decades. Nature of the trade I had to hear my machine to optimize it. Hearing protection was extremely spotty. I did buy my own on many occasions.

Oh stick it. Pan Am is the one who should get credit (or blame, actually the 747 was never as profitable as they hoped and is much more useful as a freighter - the Air China -7's were actually 1/3 freighters, one time a fellow pass asked me "want to see something ?" -- in the rear of the plane were 9 horses he was bringing to bei jing 😁), the FACT is that the risk pushed Boeing to the breaking point, they never would have done it on their own, the "existing designs" were for military use which is a whole different ballgame and no, "everybody" was NOT "building widebodies at the time."

That's ignorant crap. PanAm and Boeing took a huge risk pioneering the idea. Good for both of them, but I hate seeing PanAm get the short end of the credit. It was their vision.
Ok I follow your thought process. Boeing is great - Amen. Lol. You are a annoying person especially when you manage to make good points. Some things you mention miss that mark yet overall I really do appreciate your input.

Wait who started with the cute little slurs?
And who used the Mustang comparison?
Mustang released 1964
Vehicle design cycle circa 1964: 3 years
Camaro released 1967
Those jets were in final design before the first 747 ever flew.
Not after it was a success
747 , first, best, biggest, but not only

You'd love the Tupolev then. Quietest metal airplane I've been in, and way comfier than either boingboing or harebus.

Too bad about the accidents 😋
"Too bad about the accidents" Yeah even if it would have been a great aircraft then the quality of flight crews would have into play......

You'd love the Tupolev then. Quietest metal airplane I've been in, and way comfier than either boingboing or harebus.

Too bad about the accidents 😋
Why are you flying on a Russian plane anyway? :eek:
you sometimes are really something - a Russian plane after all how many Americans fly in that? I have to scratch my head and wonder EG. At any rate it is cool you flew in it. :)

Listening to some good classic stuff. It is relaxing this classic stuff. EG will like it too.

The best plane I've flown in is an A380, upper deck at the back. Lots of leg room, and smooth.

Worst? Cessna 172 flying back from Las Vegas dodging thunderstorms.

Why are you flying on a Russian plane anyway? :eek:

China had a bunch of them in the 90's. China Eastern used to serve duck tongue for snacks 😋 The planes were really comfy but no one wanted to fly them after one fell out of the sky. After the second one did that China gave them all back or something. Still remember the accomodations tho, very comfy. As the owl would say, "Fly Tupolev, the oooonly way to die !"

"Deadly Decade: The 1990s Accidents That Prompted Chinese Carriers To Retire The Tupolev Tu-154"​

Keep in mind that there was a time when if you were a capitalist country your airline fleet needed to meet regs to provide service into the U.S. and other countries. If you were aligned within the Soviet sphere of influence then the countries would often receive incentives from Russia primarily which supported their aircraft industry. The U.S. and it's aviation industry has always been a bit predatory but some of the foreign carriers had such dismal safety records the FAA simply banned them from ops into the U.S.

That's my thought too....the A380 was so smooth and quiet - I was lower deck and forward of wing. Same position as 747 which was noisy, and bloody cold - BA giving out blankets to keep legs and feet warm :rolleyes5:
Worst flight but most fun....Cesna 28b caravan on a Vegas to Grand Canyon tour with Maverick Airlines :D. Pilot was a card..."strap in ladies and gents and enjoy the ride, not that you can do a damn thing about it" chuckle
We then went on a roller coaster ride....

My late wife and her parents did the flight from Vegas to the Grand Canyon as well. Said it was the bumpiest ride she'd ever been on. Likely had the same PSA from the pilot.

I've done the helicopter rides from Grand Canyon village over and into the Canyon, that's an experience in of itself. Espicially when you from 100' over the ground, to 2000' in a millisecond

China had a bunch of them in the 90's. China Eastern used to serve duck tongue for snacks 😋 The planes were really comfy but no one wanted to fly them after one fell out of the sky. After the second one did that China gave them all back or something. Still remember the accomodations tho, very comfy. As the owl would say, "Fly Tupolev, the oooonly way to die !"
Duck Tongue? I guess it is good being Chinese food. I like the fact you say no one really wanted to fly in them because they tended to fall out of the sky. You are hard core EG.

yeah, when the facts are staring you in the face and they say you're full of shit, go for the cute little slurs. You're both adorable.
I don't have any opinion on the aircraft, I don't have enough education or experience in the field to have one. You have plenty of interesting and informed things to say on the matter. My comments are entirely for about your interpersonal skills, or lack thereof

Last edited:
My comments are entirely for about your interpersonal skills, or lack thereof

Interpersonal skills have nothing to do with facts. It's easy to find out when thd planes first appeared. The 747 was a full 18 months ahead of the DC 10. 747 was in service flying people around before the DC 10 even got out of the hangar. To keep insisting that "everybody was making widebodies" is like saying "everyone was making controls" in 1952. It's flatout wrong.

PanAm pushed Boeing to make something completely different and Pratt & Whitney to make engines that didn't exist. Boeing did a bangup job, the 747 is a tank, but credit should go where it's due. It wasn't their brainstorm that they peddled to the world. It was PanAm's brainstorm that they got Boeing to build. And NO, it didn't exist before PanAm got a bug up their ass and made it happen.

Interpersonal skills have nothing to do with facts. It's easy to find out when thd planes first appeared. The 747 was a full 18 months ahead of the DC 10. 747 was in service flying people around before the DC 10 even got out of the hangar. To keep insisting that "everybody was making widebodies" is like saying "everyone was making controls" in 1952. It's flatout wrong.

PanAm pushed Boeing to make something completely different and Pratt & Whitney to make engines that didn't exist. Boeing did a bangup job, the 747 is a tank, but credit should go where it's due. It wasn't their brainstorm that they peddled to the world. It was PanAm's brainstorm that they got Boeing to build. And NO, it didn't exist before PanAm got a bug up their ass and made it happen.
You misunderstand. I'm not arguing with you about the planes, I don't know anything about them. I'm saying you seem to be incapable of disagreeing with anyone on here civilly, across every thread I've seen you on. I think I'm finished with this conversation, I shouldn't have expected you to understand.

I'm saying you seem to be incapable of disagreeing with anyone on here civilly, across every thread I've seen you on.

More horsepoop. I've had lots of intelligent discussions with intelligent people. But when someone INSISTS on something thats not true when presented with names, dates and numbers, then phooey on them.

I think I'm finished with this conversation, I shouldn't have expected you to understand.

You were the one who felt compelled to jump in with a snotty remark. Pot - kettle ?

There is only one thing I do not like about flying and that is me arms get so very tired. 🚀🛬

Back