What's new
What's new

Endmill Pulling out, and lots of heat - Live Tool Lathe

While I was digging through my photobucket account, I grabbed this while I was there as well:

ER25ToShellMill1.jpg

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That's a curious beast. Is the thread for a mating threaded (M/F) nut that simultaneously engages the adapter and the toolholder taper?

Yeah.

You saw this pic eh?

DSCN1654_zpstevt9pil.jpg

Those have this type nut:

75bb1c_6b60190a6930451eb3b2d086aecfa8fd~mv2_d_1200_1800_s_2.webp

I imagine that you prolly have some stubby CAT holders for your mill that use internal nuts like this?

Anyhow - yeah, I just spin the adaptor in to the head unit and when it seats, it seats.
No bother tightening it as the RH cut will only make it tighter.
And loosening hasn't ever been an issue either.
The torque on a VDI30 isn't likely going to set any landmarks.

I just made it up in one chucking so that everything is concentric, and life is good!
It didn't take too long.
Just need to look up the taper of an ER collet and run from there....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My gear-train is disconnected from the motor at that time on both machines that I am able to doo this way.
That may be a legitimate concern in some cases?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A) When I posted that - I incorrectly ass_u_med that he OP was end-milling. For his app, a LH would help, but may need to put a stop block up in his live holder so that it doesn't push up into his collet too far.

B) B/C a left hand helix mill typically still has a right hand cut. Thus it is pushing the chips down - which is the whole point, and that means that if you are end-milling, that you are pushing your chip down into your material (like a SP PT tap) creating calamity.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

B) B/C a left hand helix mill typically still has a right hand cut. Thus it is pushing the chips down - which is the whole point, and that means that if you are end-milling, that you are pushing your chip down into your material (like a SP PT tap) creating calamity.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah, it wouldn't go well using a LH/RHC endmilling steels. With thin Al sheet it can work for end cutting to stop the sheet from vibrating, but that's about it without very specific circumstances.

If you want, private message or email me, I'll pass on my email, and you can send the pics to me for posting.

And given the size of the work, I take back my guess that it's a Haas lathe you're working on. A pic of the machine would be nice too.

I am on a Haas Machine actually. Its a brand new ST35-LY. Gearbox, high pressure pump, 6000RPM live tools, all the stuffs.

The long contact surface causes the strong pull-out force. My suggestions:

• Use a large shell mill instead of small endmill, if possible
  • Change to miller axis square to the lathe spindle axis
  • Start with square stock, clamp accordingly
  • Install a grinding wheel instead, if possible
  • Grind square surfaces separately, if possible
  • Change part design, if helpful
Where you can use a collet holder you can use a shell mill holder. Don’t know whether you have any.

Endmills are overrated. The practical machinist always starts with the biggest reasonable tool, then adjusts size downwardly. Been waiting a long time to find an opportunity to write that.

The problem with this on a live tool lathe is that it lacks the horsepower to run such a large tool. I would suggest that he go to a smaller tool and less aggressive cuts. The tool is pulling out because the spindle is being slowed down in the cut.

Hi all, I'm posting this pic for nickoalous09 of his lathe. It's the only image I got, if there's something else that needs to be seen please say so and maybe he'll send additional shots.

Lathe and Live Tool.jpg

I presume that's a drill for a separate operation, not the endmill in question...

[Curiously, even though the original image came to me as a jpg attachment, Paint didn't want to open it and the forum software didn't recognize it. I had to "snip" and save from the screen to a new jpg, and that worked. WTH?]

5-6 Flute Endmills are notorious for pulling out of ER32 collets, especialy with aggressive parameters, assuming its a 5+ flute endmill? Id either lower speeds or lower speeds and switch to a 4 flute.
They make er 32 shrink fit collets haimer
Don

Back