What's new
What's new

Engine Block boring on a vmc?

"a group of guys that race small outboards."

I'd say give it a go.
Smaller cylinder(s) so should be no big deal on boring. As for the honing part there hones that use stones so why not give it a try. May even seek out a local automotive machine shop and discuss the honing end of things.
Unless these are mega-buck racing programs what's the worse that can happen---If the group of guys are willing to give it a try why not go for it?

Nope Bob, never said I knew it all......but you have to admit the chances of the op producing an acceptable finish
not using machines for the job is darn sketchy.......you look at it and with your back round it's easy.
We are assuming the OP has Zero experience with this , reason for asking the question in the first place.

It makes no diff to me what he does, but he might as well know it ain't all roses up front.
If the OP is a real business and this is to make real money then , he knows right now he is at a big dis-advantage already
It's going to take him longer, and with what results?
He's way ahead using the VMC for what it was designed for ....unless this is play time???
Op has not answered that question yet.

Last edited:
Measuring is the biggest problem.
It is a long hole. Kiss your .0001 dial bore gauges goodbye or as a best guess and measure ten times over three days.
Off your VMC hopefully it is a cylinder.
But.. good enough for the use?
The dingleballs just normally shine surface finish.
Stone hones will make bellmouths if stroke not right.
In production work they will fix that last one or ten microns for you.
Have built the rough and finish heads and the holders for the stones.

Aftermarket or fix-up is just different to me .
I thought it was normal to rough, semi, and finish 18,000 cylinder holes in a day. I like those guys, they buy a lot of tooling.
Bob

Since the Op is talking small 2-stroke motors and not big block V8s, and perhaps enough quantities to make it worthwhile, then I don't see an issue. Can you hone with the machine's coolant? If so and you do it on the machine then making a custom coolant system that runs all of it that comes out of the machine through a $10 1 micron bag filter before going into the large coolant tank isn't hard or expensive, I've done it a few times. I think it is worth it if you're not grinding, it really improves the quality of your coolant.

If you do it then you may wish to replace your way cover wipers and keep an eye on them.

Since the Op is talking small 2-stroke motors and not big block V8s, and perhaps enough quantities to make it worthwhile, then I don't see an issue. Can you hone with the machine's coolant? If so and you do it on the machine then making a custom coolant system that runs all of it that comes out of the machine through a $10 1 micron bag filter before going into the large coolant tank isn't hard or expensive, I've done it a few times. I think it is worth it if you're not grinding, it really improves the quality of your coolant.

If you do it then you may wish to replace your way cover wipers and keep an eye on them.

No. You need honing fluid to hone.

Back