What's new
What's new

Engraving help.

The theory was, the undercutting mill would not endure as much stress on the overall tool at that depth. Issue was that the tool was gummed up when the actual part varied in thickness

This makes zero sense to me. The cutting load is determined by the tip radius, flute geometry, and cutting depth. A lollipop (undercutting endmill) will endure much more stress and deflection, because it has a long, skinny, weak shaft between the cutting tip and the shank. That's why it's breaking. If you want a rounded profile, use a runner cutter; it will be the strongest tool profile you can get.

And if it's gumming up, you're using the wrong flute geometry or providing insufficient lubrication.

This makes zero sense to me. The cutting load is determined by the tip radius, flute geometry, and cutting depth. A lollipop (undercutting endmill) will endure much more stress and deflection, because it has a long, skinny, weak shaft between the cutting tip and the shank. That's why it's breaking. If you want a rounded profile, use a runner cutter; it will be the strongest tool profile you can get.

And if it's gumming up, you're using the wrong flute geometry or providing insufficient lubrication.

We are using a 1/4" to 1/8" tapered ball mill now with 3 flutes that seem to be working..

Can you show me an example of a runner cutter? As far as the lubrication goes, I think we are using a 10:1 mix of water to coolant is what was recommended. Coolant is being shot through 5 nozzles at the same time on the bit.. I did turn down the spindle speed. That seemed to help as well.

Was running 15000rpm at 55ipm. Now running at 14000rpm at about the same feed.

We are using a 1/4" to 1/8" tapered ball mill now with 3 flutes that seem to be working..

Can you show me an example of a runner cutter? As far as the lubrication goes, I think we are using a 10:1 mix of water to coolant is what was recommended. Coolant is being shot through 5 nozzles at the same time on the bit.. I did turn down the spindle speed. That seemed to help as well.

Was running 15000rpm at 55ipm. Now running at 14000rpm at about the same feed.

Runner cutters: Runner Cutters

Back