What's new
What's new

ER40 Collet chuck & block ??

animal12

Stainless
So I'm getting closer to making a ER40 collet chuck for my 9A & I would also like to have a set of ER40 collet blocks . I plan to make a one piece chuck that threads directly on to the spindle . So whats to stop me from making a combo collet chuck/block ? I dont see a problem with a square chuck or a hex chuck .
Am I missing something thinking on trying this ?
thanks
animal

I have a project to convert a 5C spin index to use ER40 collets.
See this guys making of hex and square 5C collet blocks;
He had some issues that he worked out in later videos.

I made a hex ER25 collet chuck for my previous smaller lathe, worked really well and I used it on the mill probably more than I used it on the lathe. I sold that lathe to a friend a while back (he's sold it on after upgrading) so I bought a hex and square ER32 collet block and I'll be making an ER32 collet chuck for my lathe soon.

If you have a big enough piece of square or hex stock I'd say go for it, you'll find it really useful.

Yep , I'm on the hunt for some hex stock for this project . Fortunatly there was a member here that sold me a old headstock with spindle for a very fair price . Now I have a test thread for testing my threading so I don't have to dis-mount the project chuck from the machine to test my threading .
animal;

Thanks , I've tried watching that guys tubes , but their awful dark is parts . And why is it that everyone on youtube these days has to get paid for their videos . If you want to get paid to be on things get a job for PBS or move to Hollywood .
animal

For that price, its not worth making it yourself.
There are some reviews of these (unknown China vendors) of hex and square blocks, on Amazon where concentricity was a complaint. But cheap ER collet sets off eBay or Amazon have concentricity issues. They may advertise .005mm (2 tenths) runouts, but they are more like .05mm (2 hundredths) runouts, from my experience with an ER50 set I purchased a few years ago.
For making hex or square flats that may not be an issue. My use was on a lathe, where I purchased an ER50 chuck from a vendor on eBay that advertised very low runout, only to find it was 6x greater. After three tries of sending me replacements, they gave up.

I built something similar a few years ago. It mounts to a wedge style tool post. I started with a cheap boring bar holder from Shars:

AMWts8CD2YshBJNUM7d0C9tWXx3nRXwcJrCubymFlnVx5SFDXpUvh_PiYkAgDIpAX5mXdoeb3YDtQYS2c4D5qvKD0oq5w4pb6-6D9oXzv1HWsnjuQoaRspem2jQMg_zFB8HqJp3J_yTxjZCxaXgUIUI3wIT2DA=w1070-h791-no

Here is the finished product:

AMWts8AB_PbCzIt4ihBuatkGlZqaHKWji_ckFjkrvei6vQRndqDippeDtwLwEKGz3DpYG_WI-k_XztruUOyAyRRFwU0qM1cWIo274z4uFE-llXp2Q6SqZZfdbUTqriTzsJUmi5-HPlfEGRxixtGiYxiLMiq4WA=w1070-h791-no

Here's a google photos album of the whole process:

Not shown, but also added an alignment pin and made and hardened/tempered an O-1 tool steel rod for the draw screw. After watching the "Inheritance Machining" video above, I should have just done flats.

Last edited:
I built something similar a few years ago. It mounts to a wedge style tool post. I started with a cheap boring bar holder from Shars:

Here is the finished product:

Here's a google photos album of the whole process:

Not shown, but also added an alignment pin and made and hardened/tempered an O-1 tool steel rod for the draw screw. After watching the "Inheritance Machining" video above, I should have just done flats.
That looks like a handy mod to a QCTP boring bar holder. I can see doing that as well.

Thanks for that Genepoole , that tlooks like a project after my chuck/collet blocks . I've looked at those collet blocks on the big A but reading the reviews on a lot of them I think I can make atleast equal or better tolerance . I think the secret is to make sure you buy the nut from someone that will stand behind their product .
animal

Back