What's new
What's new

Ev batteries and lithium supply

Everything is a problem in the long run. Hydrogen is filthy unless you have near-to-free electricity. I just saw something about burying copper coils in the road so you could charge your batteries as you drive. They have no clue.

MethHeads will be ripping them up the night after they get installed.....:D

Looks like they need to work on the charging cables:

38 out of 40 cables stolen from charging stations......

Thieves Steal Copper From Electric Charger Stations – NBC Los Angeles

Need to re-write a few line of code.
1. Cables are energized at all times when unplugged, and plug is parked in chargers socket.
2. When customer swiped credit card to start a charge, cables are de-energized to allow
plugging in, then charging begins, when plug is in.
3. after charging, cables de-energize for removal, customer hangs plug back up to charger.
4. Cables are energized again with plug plugged into storage socket.

energizing the lines doesn't seem to be much of a deterent.

Never underestimate the persistence of a tweaker. I had a guy show up here, shaking like a puppy shitting a peach pit, wanting me to donate my carbide to his Native American troubled boys home because they smelt it into belt buckles for arts and crafts. I ran him off. Showed up again a week later because he forgot where all he tried to hit.

It's not just lithium but those batteries need tons of nickel. I think that Russia is the #3 supplier of that material too which makes building more electric cars to reduce dependence on Putin for energy kind of counterproductive.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

We got plenty of lithium ,plenty of nickle......but for all the crazy environmental rules ,none of it can be processed here into usable product............worst part is there is now more millenials and Zs than sane people,so this green garbage is going to be accelerated as these morons take over .

We got plenty of lithium ,plenty of nickle......but for all the crazy environmental rules ,none of it can be processed here into usable product............worst part is there is now more millenials and Zs than sane people,so this green garbage is going to be accelerated as these morons take over .

The U.S. is pretty much the same. Want fast changeover to EVs with NIMBY attitude in regards to acquiring and processing materials required for production. China will be more than happy to supply product.

Also got worlds largest deposit of titanium just 40 miles from here,mined since the 1940s ......the abos have closed it down ,with continued political chicanery from the greens......by the way,you cant call them abos any more,they got some fantasy title bestowed by millenials.

I'm actually interested in wtf we are gonna do with all these batteries when they are spent. Thats a lot of hazardous waste, unless someone comes up with a regen system.

Especially given the scarcity of new Lithium I expect recycling of batteries to recover it will be a major factor.

Right now our local recycling center has a bin for Lithium batteries and devices containing them.

Everything is a problem in the long run. Hydrogen is filthy unless you have near-to-free electricity. I just saw something about burying copper coils in the road so you could charge your batteries as you drive. They have no clue.

And that is part of the problem. In this religious-like fervor to rush to "zero carbon" some are proposing massively expensive and impractical schemes to turn everyone into EV drivers. At the current state of the art an EV works fine as a commuter vehicle for someone who owns their own home and can install a charger there. For an apartment dweller who has to park in a lot behind their building charging can be a time consuming PITA.

More and more automakers getting into the EV market.
Orders and demand surpasses production capacity by far.
The limit is not factory capacity or chip shortages. It is batteries.
Bob

Well the Gov't has been pushing the EV thing since right after the auto industry bankruptcies 10 years ago. If the manufacturers and the gov't expect to see EVs coming off the assembly lines by the millions then hopefully they have a plan for components.

Maybe check with China--by all accounts they have it covered.

The pic shows Biden in his prime 10 years ago.....

Obama-backed electric car battery company files for bankruptcy protection

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...y-protection/2012/01/26/gIQAA5T3TQ_story.html

Well the Gov't has been pushing the EV thing since right after the auto industry bankruptcies 10 years ago. If the manufacturers and the gov't expect to see EVs coming off the assembly lines by the millions then hopefully they have a plan for components.

Maybe check with China--by all accounts they have it covered.

The pic shows Biden in his prime 10 years ago.....

Obama-backed electric car battery company files for bankruptcy protection

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...y-protection/2012/01/26/gIQAA5T3TQ_story.html

It's looking more and more like you have a bad case of BDS. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV but it's getting pretty clear.

It's looking more and more like you have a bad case of BDS. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV but it's getting pretty clear.

Of course your not a doctor as well as not being a machinist, but you do attempt to play one on Practical Machinist.

My experience in the auto world is that the makers of cars do not give a poop what the government is pushing or who is the president here.
One CEO told me "Many presidents and lawmakers have come and gone and we are still here".
They respond to buyers and their check books.
Unseen I believe was the large acceptance and demand for EVs. Big ships are very slow to turn.

A123 was in too early. So a good idea but bad timing and hence go broke.
Note that almost all early into the personal computer market went belly up yet it became a huge market later.
Bob

Back