What's new
What's new

Experiment in home shop motor balancing

Ah, I see. A micro ribbed belt. Have to see if I can find pulleys and belts that will fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know about US but around here multirib belt pulleys are absurdly expensive. Especially so for the size used in automobiles (PK belt). Industry uses PJ and PL sizes but less PK size.

Stretchy multirib belt would be interesting to experiment if it absorbs vibrations better than normal multirib. (E like elastic in belt designation, ie PJExxxxxxxx belt)

Don't know about US but around here multirib belt pulleys are absurdly expensive. Especially so for the size used in automobiles (PK belt). Industry uses PJ and PL sizes but less PK size.

Stretchy multirib belt would be interesting to experiment if it absorbs vibrations better than normal multirib. (E like elastic in belt designation, ie PJExxxxxxxx belt)

I doubt an elastic belt would be a good fit to a grinder. Liable to oscillate worse?

Pulley grooves are shallow, so they are waaay easier to fab than deep Vee. Tubing can be used on a hub - much as many of those in automotive use are fabbed.

One of the popular rib spacings even matches one of the standard PIPE thread pitches.

One PM poster - SB forum IIRC?_- used a pipe die jaw as a lathe form tool to turn his pulleys!

Even so - as JST reminds us - for the low HP loading usually involved? Most adapters who utilize them just run them on flat-belt pulleys, as I do for the surfacing feed PTO on a 10EE.

Issue here is that the OP HAS deep-Vee but neither of flat or Poly-V / Micro-V to start with.

I'd try for an "A" section that could be fitted and just live with it.

Too many OTHER limitations in his grinder to go overboard as to "improving" it by enough to pay-back even a fraction of the effort.

Yah don't really HAVE to try to teach a pig how to whistle, BTW. They have a fair approximation of it in their natural repertoire.

But at the end of the day? A pig is still a pig, does whatever pigs take a notion to do. A super-attractive Victoria's Secret "Angel" they were never.

Unless, mayhap you choose to channel Kermit the Frog?

No accounting for the taste of frogs in their blanket sharers.
Within the borders of France or elsewhere.

:D

Is this the Delta grinder with the spindle mounted on a round pedestal? Make sure you keep it straight. I once let one get crooked and ground up against a shoulder, knocked a chunk out of the wheel. McMaster Carr and others will make up any length flat belt you want, so why is all this nonsense about running microgroove belts inside out?

I used to balance gyro rotors. We hung them on very soft springs and put sensors on both ends. On anything with much length, you need to balance each end. Setting it on its bearings or knife edges is a start, but that can wind up with a static balance but a bad dynamic one. To do it right you need to balance one end, then the other, then rebalance them again because they interact. I balance my surface grinder wheels on knife edges because they are narrow compared to their diameter, almost simple disks.

You will hear that small grinder wheels do not need to be balanced. All that means is that the person is not doing very good work because I can see a very definite difference after balancing.

Bill

Has the white metal die cast zinc or aluminum pulley, shown on the shaft of the motor, had the 'V' been trued? My experience with even the best of them is that they are not true, neither balanced or have a true running groove.

Tom

Back