What's new
What's new

EZ Trak Spindle Start problem

williamsbrown

Plastic
I have an EZTRAK mill 2 HP model circa 2000 that I recently installed in my garage. Everything works except when pushing the spindle on buttton I get nothing.:nutter:
Have bumped the spindle by pushing on the relay in the control panel but am unable to turn on by normal means.
I installed a static phase converter and wonder is there is something else that must be done such as moving wires around on the transformer?
Thanks everyone!

Thanks, I did some investigation of the bijurr oiler and found that I have 120 on two legs as is proper and white on the terminal marked N (presumably for neutral)

The motor inside got warm like I would expect but I do not no where to check for the interlock bijurr #1.jpg

I've also discovered that by actuating either of the switches in the panel the other picture I've attached that I can get the motor running either F or R depending on which way the switch is set near the spindle. So that is good news regaring wiring etc.
Still not sure why the spindle start switch won't actuate the same way?

Is that a Midwest Industries retrofit? We had regular issues with Prototrak mill spindle switches dying at inopportune times. Made in Germany doesn't mean perfect sometimes.

No, it is a southwest Industries out of Las Angeles. Usually quite reliable, the Hardinge models from the early 2000's were pretty awful, they were EZ Vision controls.

Yes, E-stop does work and I can engage the spindle forward or reverse using the switch to select up front and the magnetic switches from inside the main cabinet, pictured above.

The Prototrak that we have will have the same issue once in a while as well but, we have the 2011 model SMX control. There is relay on the "Spindle Control PCB" in the breakout box that sometimes will not latch. You would have to physically flex the box/PCB until you hear that "click" a relay makes so the spindle will enable. I'm not sure if SWI has separate relays for Jog and Run Program function but going back and forth between the functions can cause the issue of the spindle not turning on.

The way oiler I believe is a just a 3 prong male connector that powers the pump, it should only turn on when the spindle is on by latching a relay on the PCB. I don't think it would lock out the spindle if it's low on oil, it should sound an alarm though.

Hey, it sounds like the EZ Trak I'm working on has a very similar problem as this
Using the switches at the front of the machine don't work to turn on the spindle, but the spindle does spin by pressing in the MF/MR Auxiliary contact blocks (I am trying to learn how contact blocks work with the given wiring....)

Could someone help me find where to press on to fix the problem?
I'm having trouble knowing what the switches look like in the electrical case, and it was a manual mill convert to a CNC machine (technically) so the inside has some extra gadgets in it

Back