What's new
What's new

F/S Index ER-42 Camless Screw Machine (Attn B&S guys!) Toledo, Ohio

Ox

Diamond
F/S Index ER-42 Camless Screw Machine (Attn B&S guys!) Toledo, Ohio HURRY!

Index ER-42
Single spindle screw machine
Similar to a B&S #2, only heavier, and with fancy toys!

4 speed spindle.
42MM bar capacity (1-5/8")

4 slides:
2 are plunge only - form and cut-off basically
1 is a "Longitudinal" slide that can plunge a single point tool in X, peel to Z, and then retract.
It may be able to doo a slight profile if you made a special master blade for it to follow. ???
The fourth slide has SINGLE POINT THREADING! 4-64 TPI
I shit you not - I watched one of his other machines doo this nearly 20 yrs ago and it has stuck with me like yesterday!

These slides are hydraulic actuated, you set a flow control, and the timing is set by little dogs.
He tells me that it is rigid as they come, and that you can take a 1" wide form tool in SS and not chatter.

The turret is 8 hole, same basic design as a Brownie. Has live tool drive mechanism in the turret. No live tools included, but it is just a bevel gear drive, so you could easily make your own for High Speed Drilling if you had an app for it.

The turret is "programmed" via a pegboard set-up. Like moving Light Bright pegs, or maybe playing Battleship.

This is made in Germany and from what I have seen, I would guess it to be twice the machine that a similar Brownie would be. Once you understand how to run it - set-up is s'posed to be real quick and simple, but the guy that has it had two long term jobs on it over the last 25 yrs, so he really doesn't know how long it actually takes to set it up. But no cams (other than for the SP threading attachment) so no real "tooling" costs for each job or cams to change for each job. I am not sure - but I doubt that there are any "feed" gears either as the cross slides are hydro actuated.

He thinks the spindle speeds are 60-3200 off the cuff. Could verify ....

Spare parts have not been an issue (in the odd chance that they are needed) through Index's office near Indianapolis, Indiana.

Comes with single tube "Index" barfeeder with electric push. Also whatever tooling ....
Still in line, but I think the 3ph power may be off to the building at this time. ???

Man has retired and is moving out of state.
He has got to be out of the building by the end of the month (Tuesday).
Scrappers are clearing him out for two days already. If it's not gone when they finish with the other stuff, this one will hafta go!

I guessed the machine at _ at least 5500#, and he thinks it is over 6000.
Neighbor can load for $50 or so.

I have a cpl pics off my flip phone. No clue what kind of quality they will be, and I have no idea how to get them off the phone. I will have someone help me tomorrow.

His name is Jim Wolfe at four one nine, two nine oh, seven eight nine oh

I am trying to save this fine piece of machinery from the scrap!

I found this video of it's bigger brother.
Everything appears to be the same. You can see better than the pics that I took I am sure.
The machine in the video doesn't appear much, if any bigger.

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
The first machine shop I worked at, must have been about '75 or so had a row of Index screw machines, Those things would really spit out the parts. They were making threaded inserts with a rough knurl on the outside. It was a blur it was moving so fast, a few seconds each as I remember.

FWIW - He has what appears to be a nice Lake Erie boat as well. (It was dark)
Twin screw gas.
Recent updates in the cabin.

He is pressed to move that soon as well. Not as pressed as the iron inside, but he is motivated to move it.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks for the post. I hope someone saves it. I'd love to have it but I would need to find someone who could pick it up and also get it on a truck (LTL).

So what other goodies are going to scrap?

This one has just been pulled from the line and is outside.

There is a similar one - apparently nicer, but the single point threading is not complete on it.
He has much of the attachment in the cabinet (I saw it), but never had it mounted, and thinks that there are some pieces missing for it.

This other machine was believed to have been sold, but the guy backed out and got something else in the mean time and did not tell him 'till now.

Likely only have a matter of a hours on this one yet...

Ben - nothing else of real use anymore. There was some really big Burgmasters there, but I am sure the scrappers were working on the biggest yesterday at least. Those would not be anything of real use in a modern manufacturing facility anymore. The single spindle screw machines could be.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

There is still an Index "C-29" (?) still available.
This is a 29mm cam machine
4speed
4slide

"Excellent condition"

This machine was s'posed to have been sold 3 months ago, but just found out (now that they can get to it) that he bought something else, so this is available. Was not dumped yet as of a cpl hours ago.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox,

After you called and straightened me out I called Jim back and spoke for the C29. Semi will pick it up next week. The extra cams made it to the dumpster sadly but otherwise is still complete.

Thanks for the help,

Benjamin

Well - like I told you - I didn't really look at that machine at all, but he says it's in "excellent" condition.

Really sucks that the cams are gone.
I wonder if Detterbeck makes those?
Maybe you roll your own?
(I guess I don't even know what kind of cams it takes...)

When I said "hurry" I meant it!

Hopefully it will be a good purchase for you.

We will be expecting a "New Iron" thread soon.

EDIT:

I dumped some private messages.
Try aggin...

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well - the C29 looks and sounds like a 4 slided 2G to me.
WTF.gif

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back