What's new
What's new

Face groove tool for large diameter

M Code

Aluminum
I am doing a face groove on VTB where the large dia. is 40.5" and 0.5" wide, 0.3 depth.

Is there any suitable tool (square shank) allows me to do that face groove? largest tool i found allow me to do until 39" big dia.

Thinbit was suggested to me recently for another grooving app, have you tried them?

I don't see how a tool could ever have an upper diameter limit? As radius increases your path straightens out so to speak and provides more relief. Shit, with a groove that wide I'd be tempted to use a basic 3mm parting tool.

Thinbit was suggested to me recently for another grooving app, have you tried them?

I don't see how a tool could ever have an upper diameter limit? As radius increases your path straightens out so to speak and provides more relief. Shit, with a groove that wide I'd be tempted to use a basic 3mm parting tool.

if the groove wide is bigger that's will be fine I will I start plunge within limits then will increase until final dia. but as I understand face groove tools have limits (upper dia. lower dia.) and this needs to be considered

Arno in Germany has tools that will work for this. Check out their NC-System line of grooving tools. I have been using their smaller tools for years.

I am doing a face groove on VTB where the large dia. is 40.5" and 0.5" wide, 0.3 depth.

Is there any suitable tool (square shank) allows me to do that face groove? largest tool i found allow me to do until 39" big dia.
I'd think the 39" tool would work, either by starting at the small dia and working to the large dia or by relieving the inner side of the tool slightly. What brand is that tool - can you post a link?

Reactions: Ox
I would use something like a Kennemetal top notch. A NGD-4189R(L)K will go .375 deep and at 39" diameter radial clearance wont be an issue.

I'll bet it will go larger than 999mm as is, they might be out of digits for that column of data. If not, a little dressing of the tool holder will make it work. It's worth calling Kennametal for their opinion. BTDT on smaller jobs.

I would use something like a Kennemetal top notch. A NGD-4189R(L)K will go .375 deep and at 39" diameter radial clearance wont be an issue.

This is exactly what tool I was going to recommend, but I am not 100% sure if they did actually make it or not.
But if he says it too, then I'd guess that they doo.

The "189" could be a wildcard, but the rest of it is what matters.

Worst case is that it slightly rubs on the major diameter, but a quick trip to the green wheel will solve any issues there.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last time I did something like this a standard grooving tool worked. Just needed some clearance ground in by hand so it didn't rub. Model it in CAD and you'll know how much you need to grind off.

Back