What's new
What's new

Face Mill Adapter for ER-40 Live Toolholder

Sam L

Cast Iron
I have been looking for a face mill adapter for an ER-40 Live tool.
Couldnt find one that didnt cause an insane amount of chatter.

I just made a couple of these to try out.
Just have to make some drive keys tomorrow and will give it a go.Live 1.jpg

Good luck on that. Looks like you got a pretty short solution. One thing I wonder though is what the cutting angles are on that milling cutter. Almost looks as though it's negative rake radial and not a lot of rake axial. Your chatter may have more to do with high cutting force a tool like that would generate than your mounting solution... upon further observation.. I was able to just make out the part number on that tool and looked it up. I'm seeing +11 degrees axial rake and -9 to -11 radial rake. If the new solution doesn't fix it then I would suggest a different style cutter with positive cutting angles.

Although it’s not the most free cutting geometry it does have positive axial rake which is most important. The slight negative radial rake is to kick the chips away from the cutter. I’m not fond of the long cutting edge at the bottom of the insert. Most likely causing the noise you’re hearing. Edge prep on the insert can have a huge effect. That style has a good size hone at the cutting edge which can cause terrible chatter if you’re DOC doesn’t exceed the width of the hone. If the DOC is too small the material will pile up on the edge and not form correctly.

Last edited:
Here is one that I made for ours.
Has internal threads for the nut, so made it easier.

ER25ToShellMill1.jpg

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back