What's new
What's new

Fadal 2016L coming: Any warnings/advise appreciated!

TheOldCar

Stainless
I appreciate all of the answers to my questions in the Haas thread that I started.
Right as I began the ordering process for a TM-1P, I flip-flopped and bought a used Fadal.

I realize it isn’t a box-way Fadal, and the table is only 20” of travel. Looks to be their dinky VMC.

But I like that it has more total weight, more torque and more HP than the TM-1P I almost bought. I understand the risk of buying without inspecting…and did it anyway. Also, I am quite freaked out because I’m having it shipped.

I have always picked up my machines except for just one, and it was not shipped LTL; it stayed on the same truck the entire trip.

This Fadal will be shipped LTL.

Yes, I still have ZERO experience with a CNC. But it’s finally time to have one in my arsenal.

Any wisdom, scolding or warnings welcome!

They're easy. Parts are cheap, manuals and tech support are free. I have a good post for F360 and the 88hs that I'm more than happy to share with you.

Being a linear machine, even if the guides are trashed you just bolt new ones in place.

They're sensitive to incoming voltage, use the onboard transformer to get the machine voltage as close to desired as possible (I assume 230v). When it arrives I'd, one by one, pull and reseat all of the cards and harnesses. These connections are known to cause weird issues. I'd also change the backup battery, after I snapped some pics of the parameters.

Do a search in here for 'Bobw', he's the local Fadal guru.

Consider finding a drawbar tester and checking the belleville washers for tension. Make sure the spindle chiller works and the fluid is topped.

...about all I can think of for now.

At this point it’s better it’s linear because if it was box way machine by now it would be a worn out piece if shit
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 1992 VMC40 that's had its issues, but all-in-all it's been great. I had to have the spindle drive replaced, but it wasn't too bad.
The drive screws can get pretty worn where they're used the most (the middle) and it can become impossible to set the backlash right. They're pricey to buy, but incredibly easy to replace.
I second the "look for bobw" posts. He's a great resource on here for Fadal.

Best of luck!
M

Good machines. They have their quirks, but if you got a decently nice machine for a fair price, I don't think you'll regret it. It's a great way to get your feet wet. I definitely agree with getting a CalMotion USB Int setup. This will allow you to drip feed basically unlimited programs and not have to worry about the internal memory.

I had my Fadal 3016 for 3 years and it just bought me a new Speedio. They are good machines for what they are.

Other than overhead lifting as the online manuals state, can this 2016L be lifted with a forklift? I thought I saw tine pockets in another picture of a similar Fadal.

And if so, I imagine a pallet jack would work to scoot it around as it is one of the smaller VMCs?

If it’s anything like my VMC 15XT the fork pocket tubes are 53” long. Too long to lift with a standard pallet jack.

In any case it’s about 1.100” height to the inside of the tube due to the levelling bosses.

If it’s anything like my VMC 15XT the fork pocket tubes are 53” long. Too long to lift with a standard pallet jack.

In any case it’s about 1.100” height to the inside of the tube due to the levelling bosses.

Thanks man!
We have 48” long tines on the forklifts, and I can add extensions but they will widen the tines.
48” ought to be long enough, surely?

48” long forks are totally fine. Just tilt back enough to get them nice and seated. I just moved my Fadal with 4 ft forks on a old (but nice) Hyster 6k electric. No problem, and no need to pick from the rear.

On this 2016L, lifting with forklift tines ended up being quite risky. If it helps anyone in the future: Lift it the way the manual says to, with a lifting bar up top.

Last edited:

Back