What's new
What's new

Fadal FIXTURE SETTING CYCLE Confusion With Z Offset

goldenfab

Cast Iron
Using the FIXTURE SETTING CYCLE (UT, Option 2) I have no issue jogging to X and Y locations and storing the location for a the corresponding fixture offset. However I'm not understanding how to use the utility to jog and store the Z location. My problem is when I enter the FIXTURE SETTING CYCLE utility my tool height correction gets canceled thus when I jog to the Z location of my fixture I'm in machine coordinate mode without a tool height correction. If I enter say G0H1Z10.0 to apply the current tool length offset and then jog down to my fixture I can then write down the Z location and then manually input that value in my fixture offset table. My question is how can one jog and store the location like I can with X and Y?

More info on my workflow:
1. 3D taster as T1, 4" tool setter on the table, desired fixture offset on corner of vice jaw that's about 4" off the table
2. Run TOOL SETTING CYCLE for all tools using 4.0" length offset (4" tool setter on table) which means Z is 0 with the tools touching the table
3. MDI -> G0H1Z10.0 -> Cycle Start, then manually jog down to tool setter to verify I touch off at tool setter when Z is 4.0000"
4. FIXTURE SETTING CYCLE -> jog to vice corner and store X and Y location
5. Per above when I jog the Z down to the vice corner (its about 4" off the table) my Z values are around -17.xxxx, If I store this value my fixture value is way off
6. If I enter G0H1Z10.0 to apply tool length correction and then jog down to my vice I can record this value (Z around 4") and manually enter in my fixture table but if I enter
the FIXTURE SETTING CYCLE it cancels the tool length offset and my Z value is in the -17.xxxx range and not 4.xxxx where it should be.
7. Side note if in MDI mode I enter a tool offset like H1 and nothing else and Cycle Start the Z axis plunges, I trashed a brand new Haimer figuring that out! :angry:

Machine is a '94 model 4020 with 28"Z, 88HS upgraded with a -5 card.

I had a near disaster some years back. Haven't used it since.

Looking it up recently in the manual, it appears you type in code, offset number, a few commas to displace the axis ID's for X and Y, and the offset of E2 etc from E1. Tool offsets set at E1.

I HAVE NOT TRIED IT ...

Fingers crossed for you.

I never made it work, and use a bodge of a workaround.

I set all tools to the table.

I then probe to my fixture height, say 3.142".

I then MASS MODIFY tools 1-22 an increment of 3.142". Now all the tools in the changer are adjusted to reflect the fixture Z offset and T22 shows the total shift from the original zero. (That is handy for swapping in new tools.)

If running multiple fixtures, set the tools to the tallest one and use -Z offsets to accommodate the others.

It's crude, but it works and is really easy to implement.

Good timing. I just got myself a 4” tool setter and Haimer, to try and improve my setup time/accuracy and work flow on the Fadal.

I like that T22 idea for the offset being recorded.

The only reason I was looking at workpiece offsets, is I have this fantasy of setting up multiple fixtures, and a near full tool carousel, to run a couple dozen each of a family of parts.

I managed to get a few blanks thru stage 3, of 6, in the 2+ weeks I had on my last trip. I'm pretty sure I'd have accomplished even less if I'd screwed around with fixture offsets...

But at some point ...

Monty Python ... something ... 'NEXT TIME !!! ... maybe'.

The only reason I was looking at workpiece offsets, is I have this fantasy of setting up multiple fixtures, and a near full tool carousel, to run a couple dozen each of a family of parts.

I managed to get a few blanks thru stage 3, of 6, in the 2+ weeks I had on my last trip. I'm pretty sure I'd have accomplished even less if I'd screwed around with fixture offsets...

But at some point ...

Monty Python ... something ... 'NEXT TIME !!! ... maybe'.
I typically just use a single work offset and do all the fixture and part layout in my cam software using a non moving portion of the vise or fixture to work off of.

That’s one nice thing with camworks it’s pretty good for “assembly” machining

Back