What's new
What's new

Fadals for sale (Northern California)

Freds

Cast Iron
We are a scientific instrument manufacturer located in Northern California (approx. 20mi. North of San Francisco) just off highway 101 with easy access for transport/rigging. We machine mostly aluminum (6061,2024,Mic-6) with occasional parts fabricated from brass or stainless. In recent years, we have found it necessary to invest in newer, faster machining centers (Brothers) to help maintain a competitive advantage. The end result is that several of our Fadals are now surplus to our operations.

We are offering four Fadals; two immediately and two to be available in next two-three months. All our machines have rigid tapping, 10K spindles, carousel tool changer, set of service/operation manuals. These machines were operated 5 days a week/8 hrs a day. Always warmed up with 15-20 min warmup program (1000 rpm increments to 10K/ full travel in X,Y, and Z). Complete specs are available via phone or email at the contacts listed below.

The two machines available immediately are:

Fadal 3016 w/Mistaway mist collector installed. Serial # 9610456. Year - 1996. In 2017 the X motor and X axis resolver were replaced and a new drawbar piston installed. Asking $12,500.00.

Fadal 3016 w/Mistaway mist collector installed. Serial #032001052435. Year - 2001. In 2017 replaced spindle motor encoder. 2018 - complete PM service. Asking $15,000.00.

Two that will be available in near future:

Fadal 3016. Serial #9809802. Year - 1998. In 2016 replaced spindle motor fan. In 2017 replaced Y axis amplifier. Asking $11,000.00.

Fadal 4020HT (high torque model). Includes complete TR65 4/5 axis attachment mounted to table. Serial #012006129410. Year 2007. In 2017 replaced B axis scale. Front coolant discharge with chip conveyor. Asking $27,500.00.

(The latter two machines may be available in near term given recent installation of another new Brother w/5th axis - please contact us for latest info).

Few other notes about these machines:

These machines were not abused….most look very clean from outside. Paint is gone from inside bottoms/some from side walls. They have been serviced by CMS/Complete Machine Solutions (Eya and crew for those familiar) for their entire lifetime. All are currently under power and can be demonstrated. We can also provide photos and some video for interested parties. The Mistaway mist collectors have been installed in last two-three years.

For the most up to date info, please contact Don or Chris in production shop at 415-883-0128 or via email at [email protected] or [email protected] respectively. Inspections, rigging, transport and the like are responsibility of buyer. We can provide info on reputable local riggers/transport if desired.

Presumeably the 4020HT has extended Z for the TR65?

Indeed, I believe it does; but will make sure on Monday and post back. Thanks for mentioning it.

Fred

EDIT: Ya know, that is just the kind of question that would keep me up all night tonight and tomorrow night...and at my age, I need the rest :) So dropped by the shop; there are two important amendments to the earlier description: 1)yes it does have the extended column, and 2) the tool changer is not a carousel, its a 24 tool side-mount tool changer. Will amend my initial post to reflect same if possible. Thanks again for spotting the initial omission.

Fred

Last edited:
Not my intention to drip feed this info, but finally had chance to take some pics and add some details:

IMG_1217.jpg
IMG_1216.jpg

These are pics of the newer Fadal that is available now. Note it has chiller. Also, the MistAway has automatic shutoff so it only runs when coolant is flowing and for couple of minutes after coolant stops.

Will post pics of the older Fadal in next post. Thanks.

Fred

Here are the pics of the older Fadal (Serial#9610456):

IMG_1218.jpgIMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpgIMG_1221.jpg

As in previous post, machine has chiller and automatic shutoff for MistAway.

Fred

Here are a few more pics of the newer 3016 (2001) Fadal. Not quite as clean as it might be inside, but is still making parts. Thanks.

IMG_1215.jpgIMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1223.jpgIMG_1224.jpg

Fred

Just to update the situation:

The 2001 Fadal with serial# ending in 2435 has been sold.

Now that we have our new Brother w/ 4/5axis attachment running satisfactorily, the 4020HT and 1998 3016 (serial# ending 9802) are available for sale. As soon as we clean out some chips will be posting photos of these two units; hopefully by end of this week or Monday at latest.

Thanks to all who have stopped by.

Fred

Here are pics of the 4020HT:

IMG_1243.jpgIMG_1244.jpgIMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1246.jpgIMG_1247.jpg

Machine has a partial enclosure on top - home made aluminum angle and sheet metal - to make the smog hog mist collector more effective. Any questions, please refer to the initial post for contact info. Have been asked if the prices in original post are firm; our response is 'we can be reasonable, so...let's talk' :)

Thanks for looking.

Fred

Thanks Fred. I'm the one that picked up that 2001. I wish I could fit that 4020. Chris has been super helpful and the machines are extremely clean. If anyone is interested, check them out.

kaxlx,

Thanks for the your remarks, greatly appreciated. We built a very successful business on the backs of Fadals over some 30 years. Hope this machine provides you the opportunity to do the same. All the best.

Fred

As I mentioned in an earlier post, apologies for 'drip feeding' info on the Fadals. I'm supervisor of the R&D shop, but have little knowledge of the features of the main shop equipment. Current situation is: 2001 machine is sold; 4020HT has inquiries/offers that are being considered in order received. That leaves the 1996 and 1998 machines, which have provided some surprises:

Fadal 3016 1996 Ser#9610456: Spindle is 15K HT / 5C indexer interface / M Function card / and the real shock :eek: On Time = 13878hrs. and Run Time = 5503hrs.

Fadal 3016 1998 Ser#9809802 Spindle is HT / Front Mount Disk Drive / On Time = 25859hrs. and Run Time = 8753hrs.

I will provide pics of the 1998 machine in next post. Thanks.

Fred

Here are pics of the 1998 Fadal 3016:

IMG_1253.jpgIMG_1254.jpgIMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpgIMG_1257.jpg

Only allowed 5 pics per post...additional pic in following post.

Fred

Wanted to bump this thread and provide additional info. The 2001 3016 has left, but the other three machines are still available. The two issues that we confront with most inquiries are 1)the risk of buying a used machine, and 2) cost of transport.

Given the risk involved we decided to bring in our Fadal service tech (who is excellent) and have the three remaining machines surveyed. All machines had ball bar test, indicator tests, visual and audible evaluations. We will make the written results available to interested parties. All three machines are considered to be in working order, subject to the following:

The 4020 is in excellent condition, all measurable parameters within new spec. For example, PUSH/PULL on the X and Y axis registered less than 0.0001. Ballbar measurements in few tenths.

The 1998 3016 is in very good condition. Once again, all specs at or near new.

The 1996 3016 is in good condition with the exception of 1)needs new battery on main board - voltage is low right now so it forgets parameters on turnoff. Also, there is belt noise. We will have these problems repaired shortly - no change in asking price.

Transportation costs: In California we can recommend rigger/transport that are reputable and cost effective. For sales outside the state, we can get quotes for loading at our location and recommend LTL transportation outfits for moving to new location. Just want to emphasize that we are willing to negotiate price because of significant moving costs involved.

Corny as it sounds, these machines served us well and we want to find them good homes. Puppy.jpg

Thanks.
Fred

Fred, I can't emphasize enough how easy you guys have been to work with. Chris has been awesome and I can't wait to get the machine here. I don't think anyone looking for a used machine in this price range is going to find anything better. I wish I had room to give them all homes. People seem to buy machines all the time from dealers with no record or interaction about previous owners or information. If you are in the market for a machine like these, it should be an easy decision...

44884837264_d8e7741510_z.jpg

kazlx,

Sent you a PM regarding some of my remarks from previous post. Indeed, we look forward to hearing from you when machine is installed and parts are being made. Best.

Fred

Just a quick update re: the 1996 3015 Fadal her.#9610456 w/15K spindle, etc.:

Earlier post about results of the machine survey mentioned 1)bad battery soldered to board, and 2) Z axis noise. The battery has been replaced and no longer see memory error message on CRT. The spindle noise(s) turned out to involve belts and ball screw bearings; the bearings have been replaced, the belts have been replaced and the motor mounts were replaced - nice and quiet now. Will have updated survey available soon.

Thanks for looking.

Fred

We have just sold the 4020 w/ 5axis and the 1996 3016 w/ 15K spindle.

The 1998 3016 is still available. And all the earlier info posted about this machine and contact info is still valid. However, I am going to cease updating this thread and start a new one, as we have decided to sell one additional machine - a 1995 4020HT with relatively low on/run hours. We are going to have this latter machine surveyed and any obvious repairs made some time next week. I'll start the new thread after the holiday listing what info is available for the 4020 and re-listing info for the 3016. Will then update the new thread as more data becomes available.

Lastly, we will be offering a Fadal VH-65 4th axis with tailstock. Currently it is configured with a tombstone - but reconfigured to a trunnion style, it could be used on the 4020 (which has standard height column) since this machine has 4th axis prewire. Would only require additional investment in driver card.

Thanks again to everyone who has visited here and made inquiries.

Fred

Back