What's new
What's new

Fagor DRO questions

Froneck

Titanium
I purchased a Fagor newer model NV-20 from HGR. I know it's a pig in a poke but I got it cheap and the unit looks new. I know it's not the latest model but it is fairly new. Looking at the unit it looks like it just came out of the box. It's Perfect with no indication it was ever mounted or used!
I can't get Y axis to operate, dark screen, nothing lit in Y axis. X works fine. Online manual tells how to set parameters to turn axis off, I can turn X off and back on again. However when I enter the access code Y axis LEDs Number 8 lights with every push of the 6 digit code. I then have 6 number 8s on the Y axis screen. Talked to Fagor rep. He said what I was doing is correct but after doing what ever modifications to X parameters Y should come up with all 0s when I push the Y axis button but it don't.
Being the unit looks new I feel there is something not making connection so I opened the box.
Anyone familiar with digital circuitry here that can offer some advise. I think I see the problem but not sure.
I have fixed older DROs that didn't have micro processors. Quite a few shift registers, 8 led to binary converter and led drivers. But micro processors are well past my level.

I guess there are no electronics guys here. I'm going to move the cap to where I think it should be. Y does not work now so I can't screw it up any more than it is!

I understand but photo of what? The PC board? Basicly there are 3 boards, one is the power supply, another is the main board with the LEDs and all the needed circuitry. The third is the input switches X, Y, numbers 0 thru 9, Enter and other input commands a total of 20. It's the membrane type switch with 7 pin output. Board is very thin, can't be be than 1/16" thick except for the membrane push buttons. Not removable it seem to be glued in between two pieces of plastic that are little more that 1/32" thick each.
I did remove the capacitor I thought was in the wrong place and soldered it where I thought it might go, didn't change anything BUT X axis would stop working after about 5 minutes so I had nothing displayed. I removed the capacitor from where I installed it and all works as it did prior me doing anything. Simply X axis works Y axis is off no digits lit, section is totally dark. Only time any digits in Y axis are lit is when I enter the access code 060496 the Y displays 888888. I was told that's correct.
I guess I should explain why I changed what I think is a capacitor. The power supply board has the typical components that are easily identifiable as capacitors, resistors, diodes and so on. On the main board I see nothing that is a normal component. The is quite a few small black device that looks to be tinned on each end, they vary is size but none are larger that 1/8" long and 1/16" thick, I assume they are resistors because next to them is a number printed on the board that begins with an R. Every device that looks the same is numbered on the board beginning with an R. Another device is tan plastic about 1/8" wide 1/4" long and 1/8' thick, out of the ends of the 1/4" length is a thin metal strip than drops to the bottom of the plastic then back along the bottom for about 1/32". Quite a few of them and a few smaller ones. Next to each one is a number beginning with a C. The board conductor matches the size of the item and has solder attaching it to the board similar to the way the R marked items are. There are a few placed than are numbered with a C, board is soldered but no item. Especially at each corner where a screw is used to attach the board. The screw location has conductor printed and a place to attach the C numbered item but none exists probably because the screw enters a brass nut molded in plastic. I'm assuming the Tan items are Capacitors!
Near the location of the connector for the push button ribbon cable is a Tan item that the board is not made to accept as with all the other tan items. It is attached to one of the ends of the black R items (Resistor?) but just barely. No "C" number is near the item! The other side is not soldered to anything. About 1/4" away there is a C number and the appropriate printed circuitry to mount the tan item and has solder covering the conductor. I assumed the tan item was intended to be connected there and some how got moved as it was being wave soldered. I also assumed that if no Cap was intended to be placed there yet putting one there would do nothing because it wasn't used on this board. What ever it did caused the X axis to stop working after a short time but would again work when system was turned off then back on using the power switch. But after a short time X axis would go dark again. Removing the Cap. returned the operation to the same as it was before I did anything.
I will make a photo of the board and the location the tan item was and where I moved it to. Later removing it completely.

I mean, the cap that you think is in the wrong place would be a good start.

A lot of what you've given is information that is very machine specific, and useless to anyone without either service manuals or experience in that specific equipment.

When in doubt, more pictures, more paragraphs.

On the main board I see nothing that is a normal component. The is quite a few small black device that looks to be tinned on each end, they vary is size but none are larger that 1/8" long and 1/16" thick, I assume they are resistors because next to them is a number printed on the board that begins with an R. Every device that looks the same is numbered on the board beginning with an R. Another device is tan plastic about 1/8" wide 1/4" long and 1/8' thick, out of the ends of the 1/4" length is a thin metal strip than drops to the bottom of the plastic then back along the bottom for about 1/32". Quite a few of them and a few smaller ones. Next to each one is a number beginning with a C. The board conductor matches the size of the item and has solder attaching it to the board similar to the way the R marked items are. There are a few placed than are numbered with a C, board is soldered but no item. Especially at each corner where a screw is used to attach the board. The screw location has conductor printed and a place to attach the C numbered item but none exists probably because the screw enters a brass nut molded in plastic. I'm assuming the Tan items are Capacitors!

Why are these not pictures?

[
Why are these not pictures?[/QUOTE]

Because The item was at my shop and I was home at the time. Made photos today.
First photo is at the location where Cap was attached but only one side. I soldered cap to the location marked C43 one side was attached to the left side of the solder joint just above what I assume is R81. With the cap connected to the C43 location the X axis worked for 5 minutes then when blank as I mentioned. Removal of the cap. the X axis is now working as it was before I removed the Cap. and moved it to C43. The next photo is at the corner of the board where screws attach it to the housing there is no cap in C5 location and it's the same on all 4 corners of the board.

CIMG2068.jpgCIMG2070.jpg

I looked on the net and Fagor had a site with a 34 (If my memory is correct) country code. Not wanting to talk to someone that doesn't understand English well I found a Distributor ED Collins in OHIO (I think) Everyone was very nice and I eventually was given an extension that suggested I call Fagor. When I mentioned the out of country number I had, he said no they have a location in Chicago and gave me the number. Again I was directed to someone that should be able to help. He acted as he didn't want to be bothered and suggested I check the internet for the owners manual. I replied I did that but as most manuals they are not very clear as to what to do. I did explain I experimented by pushing buttons. I did explain I could access Para 04 and turn X axis off then with a blank screen return to Para 04 and restore X axis by pushing X axis after entering 060496 when Code E in X axix was displayed. He the said if I push Y axis all zeros should appear as they did in X and if not Y is not working and NO repairs are available. I also explained I have a quite older model that has given me excellent service for about 20 years, is still working great but the X axis 1/1000" digit is not lighting well and hard to tell if it's a 5 or 6, 8 also but it's easier to determine. He said no repair for it either!
I thanked him for the help, decided to open the unit and look inside, maybe there was a loose connection! What I did see was what I assumed to be a capacitor in the wrong location as I mentioned in earlier text.
As I mentioned the unit is in like new condition. Looks very much as it was never used. It's possible it was bad in the box and a replacement was sent.

Back