What's new
What's new

Fanuc 0-M CNC mill startup error

Benedikt Paul

Plastic
Hi all,

I have recently taken over the cnc milling in the company I work at and have found a problem whenever I turn on the mill.
The first time I turn it on 50% of the time it displays an error for a serial connection not ready and alarms for all axies (414, 424, 434) as well as an alarm sound. This is almost always fixed by turning it off and then on again, it has been getting more often though. When you manage to turn it on and not display these errors it runs without any problems for the rest of the day.
The mill I am having this problem with is a Yang Eagle 1000 with the Fanuc 0-M controls.
The drives for the axis and spindle usually don't desplay any errors when this happens but occasionally the z axis displays error 30 (again fixed by turning off and on again?)
My main problem is that it doesn't happen all the time and only happens at most twice per day which makes it very hard to find the error but is enough to get quite concerning.

I am hoping one of you might have an idea where the problem could come from and how to fix it.

Regards Benedikt

What is the alarm # for the serial connection not ready error that you mentioned?

What is the drive part # that gets the #30 alarm?

Hi,
I believe the alarm code for the serial not ready is 409 but I am not 100% sure because the light was glaring right on that number in the picture I took I will verify that asap. The drive part number should be A06B-6082-H211#H512 or EA9413086 not sure witch one of these you need.

Hi,
While attempting to start the cnc to check for that error code I now get the alarm sound on the startup screen and don#t even get to the alarm messages or any other screen anymore. The drives all signal ready without error messages though so I am now compleately lost as what to do unfortunately.

Usually, the alarm on the drive is more important than the alarms at the control. That alarm # 30 you mentioned has the following description. "An excessively large current is detected at the input of the 3-phase main circuit of the PSM."

But now you have no drive alarms and the screen shows what? Completely blank?

I would start by checking incoming three-phase power to make sure it's in specification.

How old is the machine? I use a 97 haas lathe that had all kinds of errors just on start up. The rest of the day after restarting the thing 3 or 4 times it would run fine. Finally one day it wouldn't start up. Just showed glowing fuzz on the screen. The problem ended up being a failing and then a completely failed power supply that powered the main computer. Might be worth checking.
Dan.

Hi, thanks for the tips on checking the power supply, unfortunately we have to run the mill off a generator, as 3 phase power is not available at our workshop, but the power has so far always been very stable and reliable, but i will check that again. Where did you find the description of that error message? I had no luck finding a manual so far.
The screen boots up to its startup page, showing:

0473 - 02
Servo : 9046 - 09
PMC : A1 -
Copyright Fanuc 1988-1998

NOT READY

and then just sounds the alarm until you turn it off again, giving you no other options at all.
I am not sure about the exact age of the machine but the copyright gives an indication of the period it was build in.

Hi, thanks for the tips on checking the power supply, unfortunately we have to run the mill off a generator, as 3 phase power is not available at our workshop, but the power has so far always been very stable and reliable, but i will check that again. Where did you find the description of that error message? I had no luck finding a manual so far.
The screen boots up to its startup page, showing:

0473 - 02
Servo : 9046 - 09
PMC : A1 -
Copyright Fanuc 1988-1998

NOT READY

and then just sounds the alarm until you turn it off again, giving you no other options at all.
I am not sure about the exact age of the machine but the copyright gives an indication of the period it was build in.

I found the error description here:

A06B-6082-H211#H512 Spindle Amp Module SPMC-11 by FANUC | Buy or Repair | Tri Star CNC Services GE Fanuc Parts and Repair

I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas on what your problem could be. It sounds like the control is stuck on the boot page. Are you able to change the display at all to the position screen or the program screen? The Not Ready at the bottom indicates that the machine is, obviously, in a not ready state, possibly caused by an E-stop condition. But if that was your only problem, I think you could get past the boot page. It's hard to diagnose this from a distance, especially with the other alarms you indicated. Maybe Vancbiker can jump in here? He'd be the guy to talk to. Otherwise, can you call Fanuc or a repair house that deals with Fanuc? Here in the U.S., we can get free phone support from either.

Hi, thank you for the link!

I have tried a good few thing to get to any other screen, but have had no luck at all. I checked all the E-stops to be clear and working properly as well as checking the incoming main power to be in spec. The not ready on that screen never disappeared, it just swiched to the normal operating screens once ready before. The nearest Fanuc repair house is 3h away so it would be quite costly to get them to have a look at it in person and they couldn't help much on the phone as it is a fairly old machine. But since that seems like the only option at this point we will probably have to get them to come out and look at it in person...

Thank you for your help so far :)

One of my 0m machines (1 out of 5) here will stay on the boot screen with e-stop on, and will stay that way until it is released.

The rest will finish booting to the cnc screens even with e-stop pushed in.

I do not think that helps you, it is probably not the e-stop. But can't be ruled out beyond what you've checked.

I just thought I'd chime in with that.

Back