What's new
What's new

Fanuc 15M Mori MV VMC Setting random tool changer?

Machinery_E

Titanium
Trying to figure out the settings for a random tool changer on a Mori Seiki MV65 with a Fanuc 15M.

There is a screen for assigning the tools to the magazine pockets, but I don't under stand it.

There are two inputs on the screen-magazine pocket number, and tool number. For example, if you input 1 in MG (Magazine) and 1 in TL (Tool) its not accepted, it says "error setting". However, a higher 4 digit number for TL is accepted, for example 1000, 5000, 9000, etc.

How are you supposed to set it up? What tool numbers do you use in the program? Thanks for any help!

This is based on my Haas experience. I don't mess with it. The control knows which tool is in which pot, so just call up the tool number you want.

The only time I have to mess with it is when I signify a large tool. It will zero out the 2 adjacent pots so no other tool gets placed there. When I'm done with that job I have to replace the tool numbers that were zeroed out.

You also cannot duplicate tool numbers. That is probably why you don't get an alarm with the higher numbers.

Those are your PC parameters.
Does this machine have documentation?
The Tool number should be "0001" for T1 etc and the pocket numbers usually don't change.

Check your Mori operator's manual

Trying to figure out the settings for a random tool changer on a Mori Seiki MV65 with a Fanuc 15M.

There is a screen for assigning the tools to the magazine pockets, but I don't under stand it.

There are two inputs on the screen-magazine pocket number, and tool number. For example, if you input 1 in MG (Magazine) and 1 in TL (Tool) its not accepted, it says "error setting". However, a higher 4 digit number for TL is accepted, for example 1000, 5000, 9000, etc.

How are you supposed to set it up? What tool numbers do you use in the program? Thanks for any help!

if the Mori was used with big tools it will be setup for 4 digit tool numbers. I had a Mori setup that way and the tool numbers were 5001, 5002, 5003, etc for small tools. I don't recall the number for big tools. It just takes a parameter change to switch it to the standard 2 digit small tool system.

Iirc the Mori tool screen is on the PMC side. The screen shows the data for tool numbers in pots and tool in spindle. You have to set it correctly or it will put the control in an alarm state.

The 9000 tool numbers were used by Mori to designate large tools. That’s how they set up the magazine logic in the ladder so that it would not place tools adjacent to a large tool.

Does this machine have documentation?
The Tool number should be "0001" for T1 etc and the pocket numbers usually don't change.

Limited documentation, nothing that I can find that explains the tool screen.

This is a new to me, used machine, I'm trying to setup. No tools came with the machine. There are programs in the machine, and they all use tool numbers that align with the pocket numbers on the machine. Ie. no higher than T30. Also, the tool screen has no tool/pocket numbers higher than 30.

So how does the tool screen operation relate to setting up tools? Do you look at the existing numbers, and place the tool in that pocket? For example, if the tool screen says T1 is in pocket 16, you place it in pocket 16? Is there anyway restrict a tool to a pocket all the time? Ie. keep T1 in pocket 1 all the time? What about when you have pockets that are empty, do you just put a zero for the tool for empty magazine pockets?

Limited documentation, nothing that I can find that explains the tool screen.

This is a new to me, used machine, I'm trying to setup. No tools came with the machine. There are programs in the machine, and they all use tool numbers that align with the pocket numbers on the machine. Ie. no higher than T30. Also, the tool screen has no tool/pocket numbers higher than 30.

So how does the tool screen operation relate to setting up tools? Do you look at the existing numbers, and place the tool in that pocket? For example, if the tool screen says T1 is in pocket 16, you place it in pocket 16? Is there anyway restrict a tool to a pocket all the time? Ie. keep T1 in pocket 1 all the time? What about when you have pockets that are empty, do you just put a zero for the tool for empty magazine pockets?

Like most every other machine you load the tools through the spindle. You could load them into the magazine I guess, but that would seem a little dangerous if you didn't immediately put it in the spindle and touch it off.

If you wipe the tool memory clean all you have to do is put the tool numbers 0-30 in the magazine and spindle in any order you want. It does not matter. If you already had tools in the machine then you would enter the data to accurately represent what tool was in what pot.

Also, realize there is a tool zero. You have 31 tools, not 30.

I think you’re worrying too much about pockets. The control keeps track of all that.
Like Garwood mentioned, tool are normally loaded thru the spindle so who cares what pocket it goes in.

Yes you can put the tool back in the same pocket it came out of. Just tag it as a large tool. You should be able to turn a 4 minute cycle time into 6 doing it like this.

If tool 1 is already assigned to another pocket, you will get an error message. In that case, check the tool table to see if there is another "tool 1" in a different pocket. If so, easiest fix is to MDI tool 1 into the spindle and manually swap it out with your new tool 1.
2nd way is to reassign the pocket with the old tool 1 to another (unused) tool number.

Back