What's new
What's new

Fanuc 18-M memory

BT Fabrication

Hot Rolled
E1797EC0-E5A0-4BFB-B906-43B102F5F3BF.jpgSo i have a new to me cnc mill Fanuc 18M powered control, as for memory sizes, what am I limited to for options on memory size, currently I believe I have only 64KB and what is the better way to not have to drip feed the controller through the rs232 port.
Is a data server an option? or just a memory upgrade from Memex?
what is the cnmc card slot for in the controller in the cabinet? I believe it is a 16B unit with the one ID of A16B-3200-0210 and A16B-1212-09 and
A16B-2202-0721

Thanks.

Milling man

Aluminum
View attachment 348787So i have a new to me cnc mill Fanuc 18M powered control, as for memory sizes, what am I limited to for options on memory size, currently I believe I have only 64KB and what is the better way to not have to drip feed the controller through the rs232 port.
Is a data server an option? or just a memory upgrade from Memex?
what is the cnmc card slot for in the controller in the cabinet? I believe it is a 16B unit with the one ID of A16B-3200-0210 and A16B-1212-09 and
A16B-2202-0721

Thanks.

A date server is a great option if your CNC supports it. But it will cost much more than just increasing the memory. What is the size of your programs?

memoryman

Aluminum
It is a memory module located on the MAIN board; if removed, ALL volatile memory (parameters, programs, offsets) WILL BE LOST. Make sure that you have an updated backup before doing this.

Billy_C

Aluminum
This is timely tread. We just picked up an 2008 HMC with a pretty basic 18i-MB. What a crippling control system for a 2008 machine. It's like 120Kb of program memory. It's actually measured in meters of tape on the original 2008 spec sheet. What a load of hot garbage! We are looking into a data server add on now but Fanuc should really be ashamed of themselves.

Regarding alternatives to spoon feeding it over RS232, a CF card of up to 64MB works on ours for running programs. The problem with that is we have multiple programs over 100MB that we want to be able to keep on the controller for different ops and jobs. It's also a problem leaving the card dingle dangling 4 inches out of the controller waiting for someone to bash into it.

dandrummerman21

Stainless
This is timely tread. We just picked up an 2008 HMC with a pretty basic 18i-MB. What a crippling control system for a 2008 machine. It's like 120Kb of program memory. It's actually measured in meters of tape on the original 2008 spec sheet. What a load of hot garbage! We are looking into a data server add on now but Fanuc should really be ashamed of themselves.

Regarding alternatives to spoon feeding it over RS232, a CF card of up to 64MB works on ours for running programs. The problem with that is we have multiple programs over 100MB that we want to be able to keep on the controller for different ops and jobs. It's also a problem leaving the card dingle dangling 4 inches out of the controller waiting for someone to bash into it.

You should be able to use a much larger card than 64mb afaik.

I don't have a 18imb but I do have a couple 16imb controls and have 1gb cards that work with them.

Unless the 18i (which is a lesser control than the 16i) has different hardware or somehow limits how much memory it can access via card?

memoryman

Aluminum
All Fanuc controls (except maybe newer 30i series) are limited to 2MB of program memory; the i-series can use a pcmcia memory card for external storage and execution, with limitation. The maximum size of that card is Fanuc software limited.

Billy_C

Aluminum
Not sure what's going on with the 64MB limit I'm running into. I have a pile of random CF cards on my desk that I've tried everything ranging from 2MB to 1GB. It seems like the 64MB one is largest the machine will take but it could be next sizes up are just junk and I got unlucky. It's not a great long term solution anyways but will get us by while waiting on the data server install.

Contributing to the OP, the 1GB data server for the 18i is running us about $5000 including the labor to install.

I can't wait to fire up our recently acquired Siemens controlled machine. I have a feeling that will be much more our speed.

BT Fabrication

Hot Rolled
Not sure what's going on with the 64MB limit I'm running into. I have a pile of random CF cards on my desk that I've tried everything ranging from 2MB to 1GB. It seems like the 64MB one is largest the machine will take but it could be next sizes up are just junk and I got unlucky. It's not a great long term solution anyways but will get us by while waiting on the data server install.

Contributing to the OP, the 1GB data server for the 18i is running us about $5000 including the labor to install.

I can't wait to fire up our recently acquired Siemens controlled machine. I have a feeling that will be much more our speed.
I would guess it is in your parameter settings that isn't allowing you to have any larger files. there is a bit that needs to be changed from a 0 to a 1 to allow it to use the larger memory.