What's new
What's new

Fanuc 18i-TB program from memory card

cnczack

Aluminum
We have come to the conclusion that the rs232 port is bad for this machine. We purchased a PCMCIA card and a 128mb compact flash to run programs from until we fix the issue.

The card is already in FAT format. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong trying to pull a program in. So this is what I do…

Channel 4
Edit
Oprt
Read
Exec

99 memory card error

If I try shutting the machine off. Holding in the right two soft keys. I go down to format card but it just says “formatting card”. It never finishes. I let it run for an hour without completing. I ordered a 32mb card as well which won’t be in until Tuesday. Is this the correct process for trying to pull in programs? I tried this on 3 other 18 controllers to format the card but none worked. Any suggestions?

sinha

Stainless
Try this ...
EDIT mode on MOP
PROG key on MDI
Next menu soft key >
CARD soft key

Does it show the directory of the card?

gregormarwick

Diamond
I used the card on my 18i-TB for years before I connected it to ethernet.

I never got the card to work with the channel/read process.

You need to load from the card directory as Sinha describes above.

EnginCycles

Aluminum
My Fanuc control will only run 64 and under from a certain brand no matter what type of formatting is done. Also it can on occasion corrupt a card and deem it useless. They are very sensitive.

Vancbiker

Diamond
IME, one can always use SRAM based PCMCIA cards with 100% reliability. There actually is a Fanuc spec for flash cards that requires use of a certain series of Intel Flash memory chips. Unless one uses that specific type, compatibility is not certain.

gregormarwick

Diamond
I have Sandisk 128mb compact flash cards with a pcmcia adapter (generic and Fanuc adapters).

They work in the 18i-TB and the Oi-TC/D that I have, I don't think there is any hardware compatibility issue.

However, as I noted above, I could not get it to work by setting the channel and reading the programs in on the 18i-TB. It will happily run a subprogram from the card using M98, but will not read a program directly.

Loading a program from the card, at least on my 18i-TB, requires (AFAICT) loading by reading the file from the card directory*. Same with ethernet, it will not load a program with the READ softkey regardless of how the channel is set, and you have to read the file from the ETHERNET > EMBED > HOST directory screen.

I haven't had the need to try M98 over ethernet yet.

Of course it's possible that I was doing something wrong when I was trying to get this to work, but I don't think so.

* Edit mode, PROG > DIR > press the right softkey until you see CARD and press it > F SET # > O SET # > EXEC. Stupid long winded, but the only way I could ever get it to work.

cnczack

Aluminum
I have Sandisk 128mb compact flash cards with a pcmcia adapter (generic and Fanuc adapters).

They work in the 18i-TB and the Oi-TC/D that I have, I don't think there is any hardware compatibility issue.

However, as I noted above, I could not get it to work by setting the channel and reading the programs in on the 18i-TB. It will happily run a subprogram from the card using M98, but will not read a program directly.

Loading a program from the card, at least on my 18i-TB, requires (AFAICT) loading by reading the file from the card directory*. Same with ethernet, it will not load a program with the READ softkey regardless of how the channel is set, and you have to read the file from the ETHERNET > EMBED > HOST directory screen.

I haven't had the need to try M98 over ethernet yet.

Of course it's possible that I was doing something wrong when I was trying to get this to work, but I don't think so.

* Edit mode, PROG > DIR > press the right softkey until you see CARD and press it > F SET # > O SET # > EXEC. Stupid long winded, but the only way I could ever get it to work.

This worked!! i appreciate it so much!