What's new
What's new

Fanuc 18T Metric to Inch

bob

Titanium
How do I make this show inches rather than metric on startup? Change parameter or?
Bob

Attachments

• fanuc1.jpg
    fanuc1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,315
Have a look at the page that shows when you press the "Settings" button.
I think you can toggle it in there. It will start with EIA - ISO etc, Metric / Inch is under that,

Regards Phil.

The settings button usually doubles as the offset button.

Try homing the machine, then going into MDI.

Type G20; then press cycle-start, and see if it switches to Inch inputs/display then.

Thanks Phil, only problem is control has no "settings" button.
Bob
Hello Bob,
Is it the case that you are running Imperial Unit programs (successfully) and when the power is cycled to the control, it reverts to Metric Mode when the control restarts?

Regards,

Bill

I have never run an inch program but would like to!
Bob
Hello Bob,
Its good practice to include either G20(Inch), or G21(Metric) in a safety block at the start of all programs. Although conversion of offsets from metric to inch (and visa versa) is dependent on parameter setting, having the correct Unit Mode for a given program via the first line safety block will circumvent a monumental crash if a Metric Program is fed to a control that is in Inch Mode (Z-50.0 in a metric program will equate to Z-50.0 inches if executed with the control set to G20 (Imperial Units).

The control can be changed from one Unit Mode to the other by doing as Jashley73 suggests and executing the appropriate G code (G20 - G21) via MDI, or by including the correct G code in the first Block of the program. G20 - G21 are Modal within the program and will also persist as a default when the power to the control is cycled.

Regards,

Bill

As Jashley eluded to, there's a 'settings' page. You may have to press your Offsets button a couple of times to get there. After you've pressed it a couple of times you should see a page containing the setting (either 1 or 0) for inch/metric. It works on our 18i and 21i controllers. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for or not and I've never fooled with it myself to see the results.

We have a very old (1984) Fanuc 3T that you have to press a key that says "Param" to get to it.

Back