What's new
What's new

Fanuc 31iB turning center cutter comp

EKrol

Aluminum
Hello Everyone,

Maybe a dumb question but i never used the function on Fanuc controls.
I'm working with a Doosan smx millturn machine. But this question is also for our other milling capable turning centers.
If we milling a hole on the side or front of a part sometimes due tool wear we want to change the diameter in the machine after a few parts.
Normally we changed it in the cam software but sometimes we change the nc programs in the machine to fine tune the program.
if you repost the program with the new mill diameter everything you changed is gone. Normally we only post the steps with the changed diameter and past them in the nc code. This is getting annoying sometimes. How do i activate milling diameter offset in a turning center?

Thank you,
EKrol

Hello Everyone,

I'm working with a Doosan smx millturn machine. But this question is also for our other milling capable turning centers.
If we milling a hole on the side or front of a part sometimes due tool wear we want to change the diameter in the machine after a few parts.
Normally we changed it in the cam software but sometimes we change the nc programs in the machine to fine tune the program.
if you repost the program with the new mill diameter everything you changed is gone. Normally we only post the steps with the changed diameter and past them in the nc code. This is getting annoying sometimes. How do i activate milling diameter offset in a turning center?

Thank you,
EKrol
What CAM software are you using?

You should have the option under your cut parameters to set your compensation type to "Wear" , this should post a G41/G42 that allows you to use diameter offsets at the machine

Just add G41 on the first lateral move and then cancel with G40 on the last lateral move. Use the R Offset register for your cutter radius comp.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,
EKrol
Here's the basic Fanuc TNR functions explained. You are free to download/save/print as I wrote it when I worked at Doosan.
HOWEVER - on the MX/SMX machines there's a little more involved with the upper path. If you would like the training manuals I used when I taught the classes there, PM me and I'll send a link to DropBox as it's too large to send here. VERY handy to have!

Attachments

• TNR for lathe.pdf
    166 KB · Views: 8
What CAM software are you using?

You should have the option under your cut parameters to set your compensation type to "Wear" , this should post a G41/G42 that allows you to use diameter offsets at the machine
EZ cam. I do have a checkbox with cutter comp but that function is not fully developed in my postprocessor. Normally we do the editing of the postprocessor our self. But first i have to figure out how the compensation works.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,
EKrol
g41, g42, then use your tool offsets radius/diameter column to adjust for cutter size. g40 to cancel
Should be an option in whatever CAM software you are using to turn on cutter comp.

Works the same for mills or lathes. working plane will effect it g17,g18,g19

reprogramming for variable tool sizes is a terrible idea... sounds like a great way to cause a crash, while wasting a bunch of time too.

Back