What's new
What's new

Fanuc 3m Tool changer programs/subprograms

Bill, I am about to go and try the programs you last suggested.
Do you think we could carefully look up the programs running homanfabs tool changes if he is willing? Would it be worth trying programs from a 10 control to a 3 control?
Homanfab I have 4 kiwa manuals for my mill but they are not very informative. Bill may have a better say in whether or not your manuals will help.

Since homanfab's machine uses G30 there is a high likelihood yours will too. Most builders try to keep similar operational behaviors between models.

The CNC has output signals that can be read by the PMC to determine if the axis is at the G28 or G30 position. Every PMC ladder program for tool changers I've seen checks one or the other of those signals to determine if it is safe to begin a toolchange. This behavior is determined by the machine builder, not Fanuc.

Bill, you asked for the sequence of a normal tool change. It sends the head home( at this point the atc light comes on and it does). The spindle orients. Then the carousel moves to the right engaging the tool. The spindle unclamps. The carousel moves down. The carousel rotates to another tool. The carousel then moves back up putting the new tool in the spindle. The tool is clamped. Then the carousel moves left to its resting position.

Bill I tried your 2 program examples and all it did was send the head home orient the spindle then I heard it fire one of the solenoids instantly on then off with no tool changer movement.
Vancbiker I tried a G30 in place of the G28, the head went up but the ATC light did not come on. With the G28 it does. That ATC light has to be on to do anything with a tool change.

Is the ATC light activated by a limit switch? If so, the G30 position may not be set properly. Is this a machine that you used to have running or is it new to you?

What value in in parameter 1037?

From what I can tell from the diagrams I have the pneumatic solenoids are controlled directly from their connections going into the motherboard. If this is true wouldn't that mean I would need a control chip reprogrammed on the board?
Vanc I think the Atc light is lit directly from the motherboard also. Parameter 1037 in my control is a 0.

Yes the ATC light has to be on. I had a problem where Light would come on but then would stop. The circuit breaker that powered the tool changer encoder had tripped. Was located on the right side of the control cabinet about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom.

The atc light comes on and stays on when the head is sent home with G91 G28 Z0. I did use the G28 command when I used to do tool changes. I know the tool number is registering in the control because under diagnostic number 20 its displaying the binary tool numbers. There is one manual function on the control panel that will let the carousel rotate. Its a separate fuction from the rest of the tool changer functions.

Bill I tried your 2 program examples and all it did was send the head home orient the spindle then I heard it fire one of the solenoids instantly on then off with no tool changer movement.
Vancbiker I tried a G30 in place of the G28, the head went up but the ATC light did not come on. With the G28 it does. That ATC light has to be on to do anything with a tool change.

Hello Dan,
When you say that the Head went up when executing G30, do you mean that it went to the Z axis Reference Return Position.

The way you have described the sequence of the Tool Changer, I suspect that the Z Reference Return Position would be correct for executing a tool change. You can confirm that the Z axis is at the correct height for a trouble free tool change by the following procedure.

1. Place a Tool Holder in the Carousal Tool Holder that is in the Ready position for a Tool Change.

2. Using a Height Gauge or whatever device you have on hand to be able to measure from the machine table to an easily reached horizontal surface of the Tool Holder (bottom face, or bottom surface of the Tool Change Flange of the Tool Holder).

3. Using the same Tool Holder, but now held in the Spindle of the machine (assuming you can insert a tool holder into the Spindle by Manual means), take the same measurement from the machine table to the same horizontal surface used in the measurement described in point 2 above. The difference between these two measurement should be Zero, or very close to Zero.

At this point, I would be doing as Kevin suggest in quite a few Posts earlier and that is to manually actuate the Solenoid Valves associated with the Tool Change to ensure that there is no mechanical hangup that's inhibiting the tool change. With no tool in the Tool Changer, or the Spindle, the Z axis at Reference Return and the Spindle orientated with M19, with the operating sequence of your Tool Changer, there should be no possibility of harming the machine (check first that the Spindle Nose is at the correct height as detailed above).

At each step, there should be a proximity switch to provide confirmation to the control that that part of the tool change sequence has been completed. For example, when the solenoid valve for Tool Changer, or Tool Changer Arm to move towards the Spindle, there should be a proximity switch to confirm that the Tool Changer has moved in and therefore, gripping the Tool that would be in the Spindle. In many cases, there will be a LED on the switch to confirm that its being made. If that is not the case, you will have to find the Input Bit in the Diagnostic Parameters; these will be in the "X" registry.

When carrying out the test of operation of the solenoid valves and the movement they control, ensure that the corresponding proximity switch is in the correct state before and after the operation. For example, the prox switch to confirm that the Carousal, or Carousal Arm is in the IN position when sent towards the Spindle, should be Off when the Carousal or Carousal Arm is at Home and On when it the Spindle Tool Grip position. There may also be a second proximity switch associated with the Carousal Tool Grip Home and Spindle position to confirm that the Carousal is at Home when it should be at Home.

Regards,

Bill

I had a chance to check a few things. Bill I checked the carousel/tool alignment by sending the head home then unbolting the left to right cylinder from the tool changer assembly. I manually moved the assembly over and the alignment looked correct. After that with no air in the system I was able to check the left and right and up and down signals on the diagnostic screen by moving each cylinder through its stroke. The control recognized each movement at its endpoint. I also checked the rotation of the carousel on the diagnostic screen and the tool in and out of the spindle. They are all registering on the diagnostic screen. As for whether or not the left and right solenoid is stuck I still need to figure out.

Back