What's new
What's new

Fanuc 3T model F send program to and from laptop HELP

spurst

Aluminum
I have a Mori Seiki SL2 with Fanuc 3T F finally got a cable to commucate but when i try to send a program out it says OUT i send but nothing ever loads on laptop, A when i try to send from laptop to lathe
it says LSK forever never gets the program no alarms till you kill the DNC on laptop. I hope its just settings in my DNC hand shack on, 7 data bits 2 stop, even polrity,4800 bauds I dont have a clue how to set the CR, LF,Translation mode for LF ? DNC controll program start?, Control program end ?, The manual is for cassette or punch tape no instructions in it for PC prob. didnt know what a PC was back then. 3t controller is odd does any body know the settings

Dan from Oakland

Titanium
Are your parameters in the lathe set to 4800, even , 7 and 2? Both the computer and control need to have the same settings. What are your steps at the control when you set it up to receive? What error messages are you getting on the machine?

spurst

Aluminum
I have in the controller set to 4800 baud i dont know the parmeters for the others steps to receive put in edit and both FAPT and IO in NC mode press the program button after i send from pc i press the input buttom and the controller says LSK and to send out the control to pc i put it in NC NC then, program button, then put a program thats in memory or -9999 and press the cursur down and is says out but nothing ever get loaded on pc when i turn off DNC then i get error 86 never before it will just either say LSK or OUT forever

angelw

Diamond
I have in the controller set to 4800 baud i dont know the parmeters for the others steps to receive put in edit and both FAPT and IO in NC mode press the program button after i send from pc i press the input buttom and the controller says LSK and to send out the control to pc i put it in NC NC then, program button, then put a program thats in memory or -9999 and press the cursur down and is says out but nothing ever get loaded on pc when i turn off DNC then i get error 86 never before it will just either say LSK or OUT forever

Are you saying that you get the p/s86 error when you reset the PC after you attempt to transfer a program? If so, I suspect that the cable being used has the wrong pin out. Following is the correct cable configuration when using Software Handshaking (Xon/Xoff)

Machine Side ---------------------------------------- PC Side
DB25 Male Connector ----------------------- DB9 Female Connector

1 Shield Trace --------------------------------------- Not Connected
2 ---------------------------------------------------------------- 2
3 ---------------------------------------------------------------- 3

| Bridged

|
8 All Bridged
|

7 ---------------------------------------------------------------- 5

You will only be able to set Baud Rate and Stop Bits at the Control. Set both sets of parameters as shown below,then it won't matter what I/O device is set on the setting page

1. Set parameters 5 and 14 to: 1xxxx0x1. The bits marked "x" are used for other purposes; accordingly, don't change.

2. Set parameters 0068 and 0069 to 4800 (as a starting point)

On the SETTING page, set: Punch Code = ISO, I/O device = 0

In the PC Software, set the RS232 protocol as follows:
Handshake Method: Xon/Xoff (Software Handshake)
Data Bits: 7
Stop Bits: 2
Parity: Even
Baud Rate to match that set at the Control (4800 as a starting point)

To send to the PC:
1. Get the PC Software ready to receive.

2. Select EDIT Mode at the Control.

3. Press Prgm Button to display Program Page.

4. Key in O_ _ _ _, where "_ _ _ _" is an existing program number in memory.

5. Press the Output Button.

Regards,

Bill

spurst

Aluminum
I have not messed with the parameters on the machine at all but i do know how to change them, how do you make it show x or 0 or does it matter now mine says for no. 0005=00000011 and 14=00000000 i tried your pin out on the cable it would not see each other change to this pin out

25 pin 9 pin
2---------------2
3---------------3
5---------------7
7---------------5
6&8-------------4
this is the only pin out i could get to work at all i even called fanuc support they gave a pin out close to yours and I was looking at the controller and he checked the settings but it did not work the above pinout i got of here and at least they see each other but wont ever send nothing. Thanks you I will change back to yours and change the perameters and i will let you know. the only thing im not sure of is the X in the perameter do i just key in a x

Vancbiker

Diamond
.......the only thing im not sure of is the X in the perameter do i just key in a x

An x in a parameter setting just means the bit is not significant to your issue so don't mess with it (leave it unchanged).

Does your laptop have a native RS232 port or are you using a USB to RS232 converter? If converter, what brand? What comms software are you using? Is the port setting in your software correct in that it matches the port ID on the laptop (COM1, COM2 etc)?

It does not cost extra here to post complete information which helps others help you.

spurst

Aluminum
An x in a parameter setting just means the bit is not significant to your issue so don't mess with it (leave it unchanged).

Does your laptop have a native RS232 port or are you using a USB to RS232 converter? If converter, what brand? What comms software are you using? Is the port setting in your software correct in that it matches the port ID on the laptop (COM1, COM2 etc)?

It does not cost extra here to post complete information which helps others help you.

The computer has both rs232 9 pin and usb port the converter is a sabren came with the rs232 cable but I use the rs232 port. port 1 or 2 with the converter and port 5 with rs232 I dont use the converter I tried I just use the 9 pin straight into the computer my computer recognizes which port is plugged in.

spurst

Aluminum
also my coms software I tried DNC4u and NCnet7.0 and also
when I push the PARAM key it shows
No.0.0000(settings)
TVON=0
ISO=1
INCH=1
I/O=0
SEQ=0

AND PAR 5 OOOOOO01
14 00000000
0068 4800
0069 O

Vancbiker

Diamond
The computer has both rs232 9 pin and usb port the converter is a sabren came with the rs232 cable but I use the rs232 port. port 1 or 2 with the converter and port 5 with rs232 I dont use the converter I tried I just use the 9 pin straight into the computer my computer recognizes which port is plugged in.

That seems odd. I would expect a native RS232 serial port to be com1 or com2 and a USB to RS232 converter to use com5 or other.

When you tried DNC4U, did you use their comms setup wizard. That has helped others at least get started with their setup.

spurst

Aluminum
That seems odd. I would expect a native RS232 serial port to be com1 or com2 and a USB to RS232 converter to use com5 or other.

When you tried DNC4U, did you use their comms setup wizard. That has helped others at least get started with their setup.

I told you wrong rs232 is com 1 I try but it gets to step 4 I think and say waiting on cnc in the wizard and my cnc goes to alarm 086

spurst

Aluminum
I change my chord to your drawing, changed the para. to what you posted and I am back to getting P/S ALARM86 as soon as I press the start or input button to send from cnc to pc I don't have a button that says output there is a input button If I try to send one from the PC it says (waiting on XON from cnc to start transfer) on the DNC4U and the cnc goes into alarm 086 and in my com setting I xon xoff turn on

atex57

Hot Rolled
set up just as you show and i get a 086 alarm

086 means you have no good connection. I am running DNC4U to my 3T through a switch box to access a couple different machines and have a breakout box to redirect the signals. The 3T requires a different cable configuration than most Fanuc controls. I can check on it for you if you like.

Ed.

spurst

Aluminum
086 means you have no good connection. I am running DNC4U to my 3T through a switch box to access a couple different machines and have a breakout box to redirect the signals. The 3T requires a different cable configuration than most Fanuc controls. I can check on it for you if you like.

Ed.

thank you please

angelw

Diamond

Ed.

It can be caused by a poor connection, but specifically is means that Data Terminal Ready signal has turned off, the cause of which is defective I/O Power Supply or Cable not connected or a defective P.C.B.

With regards to the Cable Configuration for a FS3 Control being different to most other Fanuc Controls, that has not been my experience and would be rather illogical for Fanuc to depart from what is considered normal RS232 cable configuration just for that control, notwithstanding that RS232 standards are rather loose.

25 pin 9 pin
2---------------2
3---------------3
5---------------7
7---------------5
6&8-------------4

TVON=0
ISO=1
INCH=1
I/O=0
SEQ=0

AND PAR 5 OOOOOO01
14 00000000
0068 4800
0069 O

The above parameters 0005 and 0068 should work, as I/O Device is set to "0", with the following PC Software settings:

Data Bits = 7
Stop Bits = 2
Parity = Even
Baud Rate = 4800

The cable configuration is neither your arse, nor your elbow and is a half baked Hardware Handshake cable and would have at best, through dumb luck, worked in one direction only.

The 6&8 bridge at the Control end, connected to pin 4 at the PC, is the typical workaround when you have an I/O power supply issue at the Control. Pin 4 at the PC is the Control's pin 20 counter part. Normally with a Software Handshake cable configuration, you have a bridge between pins 6-8 and 20 at the Control end, with pins 6 and 8 being asserted by pin 20. Check the voltage between pin 20 and 7(signal ground), or pin 20 and pin 1(protective ground); it should be circa 13vdc, or at least above 5vdc. In the case where the voltage between pin 20 and 1 or 7 is less that 5vdc, the workaround is to connect pins 6 and 8 at the Control to pin 4 at the PC.

I change my chord to your drawing, changed the para. to what you posted and I am back to getting P/S ALARM86 as soon as I press the start or input button to send from cnc to pc I don't have a button that says output there is a input button If I try to send one from the PC it says (waiting on XON from cnc to start transfer) on the DNC4U and the cnc goes into alarm 086 and in my com setting I xon xoff turn on

The fact that you're getting the p/s086 alarm immediately, with a cable configured with pins 6,8 and 20 bridged, points to an I/O power supply issue; check the voltage on pin 20 at the Control end as described above. On any Fanuc Control, you can test the occurrence of the p/s086 alarm simply by disconnecting the cable from the Control and attempting a Send or Receive; the p/s086 alarm will be raised immediately.

There are normally two PC Software options when sending a program to the Control:

1. Have the Control made ready first, then initiate the Send from the PC immediately.
2. Have the PC made ready to send and wait for the Control to initiate the Send.

To achieve the above, the PC Software must have some means of selecting which method to use. The following picture shows the Pull Down of my home grown Editor/Comms Software, where either method can be selected. If "Wait for Machine" is selected, the Software will wait forever, whilst the Software is running, for the Control to initiate the Send.

Send_Config2.JPG

With regards your PC Software displaying (waiting on XON from cnc to start transfer), I suspect that the Software is set to wait for the Control to initiate the Send. It does this by sending an Xon character (DC1 - ASCII 17) to the PC. If your PC is set to wait for the Control to initiate the Send, but the Control is made ready to send first, followed by having the PC Software send the program, the Xon signal from the Control will have been sent before the PC Software is made ready and therefore, the PC Software will have missed the Xon and remain waiting for the Xon that will never come.

Regards,

Bill

spurst

Aluminum
It can be caused by a poor connection, but specifically is means that Data Terminal Ready signal has turned off, the cause of which is defective I/O Power Supply or Cable not connected or a defective P.C.B.

With regards to the Cable Configuration for a FS3 Control being different to most other Fanuc Controls, that has not been my experience and would be rather illogical for Fanuc to depart from what is considered normal RS232 cable configuration just for that control, notwithstanding that RS232 standards are rather loose.

The above parameters 0005 and 0068 should work, as I/O Device is set to "0", with the following PC Software settings:

Data Bits = 7
Stop Bits = 2
Parity = Even
Baud Rate = 4800

The cable configuration is neither your arse, nor your elbow and is a half baked Hardware Handshake cable and would have at best, through dumb luck, worked in one direction only.

The 6&8 bridge at the Control end, connected to pin 4 at the PC, is the typical workaround when you have an I/O power supply issue at the Control. Pin 4 at the PC is the Control's pin 20 counter part. Normally with a Software Handshake cable configuration, you have a bridge between pins 6-8 and 20 at the Control end, with pins 6 and 8 being asserted by pin 20. Check the voltage between pin 20 and 7(signal ground), or pin 20 and pin 1(protective ground); it should be circa 13vdc, or at least above 5vdc. In the case where the voltage between pin 20 and 1 or 7 is less that 5vdc, the workaround is to connect pins 6 and 8 at the Control to pin 4 at the PC.

The fact that you're getting the p/s086 alarm immediately, with a cable configured with pins 6,8 and 20 bridged, points to an I/O power supply issue; check the voltage on pin 20 at the Control end as described above. On any Fanuc Control, you can test the occurrence of the p/s086 alarm simply by disconnecting the cable from the Control and attempting a Send or Receive; the p/s086 alarm will be raised immediately.

There are normally two PC Software options when sending a program to the Control:

1. Have the Control made ready first, then initiate the Send from the PC immediately.
2. Have the PC made ready to send and wait for the Control to initiate the Send.

To achieve the above, the PC Software must have some means of selecting which method to use. The following picture shows the Pull Down of my home grown Editor/Comms Software, where either method can be selected. If "Wait for Machine" is selected, the Software will wait forever, whilst the Software is running, for the Control to initiate the Send.

View attachment 343727

With regards your PC Software displaying (waiting on XON from cnc to start transfer), I suspect that the Software is set to wait for the Control to initiate the Send. It does this by sending an Xon character (DC1 - ASCII 17) to the PC. If your PC is set to wait for the Control to initiate the Send, but the Control is made ready to send first, followed by having the PC Software send the program, the Xon signal from the Control will have been sent before the PC Software is made ready and therefore, the PC Software will have missed the Xon and remain waiting for the Xon that will never come.

Regards,

Bill

Are you sayaing I need to change the ISO to 0

angelw

Diamond
Are you sayaing I need to change the ISO to 0
No. I'm saying that parameters 5 and 68 are set correctly and will apply, because the I/O Device is set to "0". Had it been set to "1", parameters 14 and 69 would apply, which are not set correctly. Hence my reason for stating in an earlier Post, that by setting parameters 5/14 and 68/69 the same, you would not have to worry about setting the I/O device to any specific value, as whatever it was set to would have one or the other set of parameters apply.

spurst

Aluminum
Thank you all so much for your help. I have one more question to set up the cnc controll (Fanuc 3T F ) not the paremeters or the set up I think I have all that right from all your help. The controller on the screen, what I do to receive a from PC to CNC is put both FAPT and IO in NC mode, then I press the progam button, then I press shift P input and all the programs in the merory comes up on the screen,then I press shift O input then the # of the program I am try to load. then I send it from the PC and press input ,save, ect i tried them all this is were i am lost and the same on sending it to the PC from the cnc. Not as Intrested in going from CNC to PC as from PC to CNC.