What's new
What's new

fanuc A0-1 Still not cutting right

tlmkr38

Aluminum
This machine has been a learning experience for sure. I do have it somewhat running and it will cut but it's not cutting nearly as fast as it should. If I go by the technology data for what i'm cutting it breaks the wire everytime. For like 1/2 high speed steel I can cut at about 0.07 per minute. On time 6 off time 25-30 volts 25 (if I go higher it breaks the wire)feed 7 and the resistivity is set at 5.0. Now on that. guys around her run Mitsubishi and say you want that number as low as possible, however when mine was real low that number was flashing on the EDM data and as it got closer to 5.0 it stopped flashing.

My water pressure is running between 3-6 top and bottom can't get it up to 10. That being said, I have clean water, new filters, new flushing cups. Now the guides are worn out I know and I have new ones coming. Also we don't have resin but it is coming also. Water is clear though. Also today it was cutting good but slow and then in the middle of the part it just basically stopped. It was go back and forth on the readout and forward real slow. I turned flushing up, down same with voltage and off and all along with turning the feed rate down and it didn't help. I'm at a loss for what to look for next. Once the new guides and resin get here and install them I'm going to try it all again, if that doesn't help I'm lost.

Any Ideas are appreciated. Sorry I know this is long but I was trying to describe all I could /SIZE]

nlancaster

Aluminum
Not having resin is probably your problem. The resin doesn't visually clean the water, it alters the resistance of the water to make the burn more stable. Right now without resin your water resistance is, relatively speaking, very low. When our resin tank goes out on our sodick wire edm we start to get breakage issues. Get a working resin tank and that will probably solve your issue with the broken wire. It will probably increase your speed but flushing pressure being low will still cause you to slow down some.

tlmkr38

Aluminum
I can Monday when I get back to work. I actually have something to cut then and will take some pictures when I get it going.

tlmkr38

Aluminum
I can push the pressure up to about 6 on the scale but it seemed like when I turned it down the volt meter wouldn't flutter as much, I may try bumping the tension up more also before starting the cut and see if that helps and will let me push more pressure

tlmkr38

Aluminum
ok so here is what it is doing. When cutting straight on a 1/2 piece of hhs it will run with the numbers in the pictures. Not great but at least it is steady. I then went to my section which was .625 thick. Where it was cutting straight it was fine. It broke the wire in a radius ( .5 inch radius) Once I got it rethreaded it went in and started fluttering again and down to like .025 IPM cut and the volt gauge was back and forth. If there link to the video works you can see it. Here are the pictures of the power settings and all when it was cutting straight.

Just talked to someone who runs a Mit at another shop and he said the diamond guides being worn bad might possibly cause it also as it could be shorting with both axis moving

Shared album - Jeff oliver - Google PhotosIMG_20220411_075027045.jpg

wdevine

Aluminum
Well, first thing, I don't think the resin is the issue, as your resistivity would be off the charts if so.

I've never seen a guide worn out enough that the wire could dance around in there and cut that badly, but I guess that could add up. You should be able to crank that flushing up to like 8 or 9. Maybe the high flushing is moving the wire around in the guide? Again, never seen one that bad but it is a possibility.

tlmkr38

Aluminum
I've thought about the flushing moving the wire around also and in the book with this machine and on the EDM settings the one for water can only be set to 3. I was wondering that if by running up around 5-6 on the gauge that it was making wire wobble. Thing with that is once I raise the tension then it starts breaking.

As for the guides I was thinking more of maybe they were worn so bad that it might be making metal to metal contact or something and shorting. I'm just guessing as I am all new to all of this. But if it was that it would seem to me that if would mess up cutting straight as well as radiuses...

As for resistivity, As I read the manual It is supposed to read close to what is programed in the E pack settings? for example the book says to set it at 5 for roughing. When we first started cutting the actual number that was beside that 5 was like 2.3 or so and flashed. Once it got up around 4.7 or so it stopped. I assume that it's supposed to be close to the 5 or whatever is set as the guys who run Mits say it is supposed to be as low as possible on them.

Got a tension meter the other day and am going to check all of that as well when I get time. Got new guides and resin coming as I know it needs them, The people we got it from said the guides were worn and since it sat here like 2 yrs before we run it and several years over there that they didn't use it.