What's new
What's new

Fanuc Flash-RAM expansion.

jCandlish

Titanium
Why isn't this a sticky?

In my case this is Fanuc-20 specific.

The normal thing. I want to be able to run off or call programs from the CF-Flash card slot.

So I stuck my smallest CF card (8MB) in a PCMCIA adapter and gave that a try. No dice. Card not recognized.

Then I gave a real 4MB Flash-RAM PCMCIA card a go. It formatted.

So then I go to set I/O channel = 4. Parameter out of range.

It seems like my Fanuc 20 has only channels 0,1,2 available???

So I know Milacron has this same control on his Makino. Hey Don, can you call programs from the expansion card on that thing? If so, how?

Thanks

metaltech

Hot Rolled
As you've discovered, a CF card in an adapter is not necessarily the same as a real PCMCIA memory card. On some Fanucs, the CF will indeed work, and this is most of them. But, for a few (sorry I don't know specifics), they have to have a genuine PCMCIA memory card.

jCandlish

Titanium
As you've discovered, a CF card in an adapter is not necessarily the same as a real PCMCIA memory card. On some Fanucs, the CF will indeed work, and this is most of them. But, for a few (sorry I don't know specifics), they have to have a genuine PCMCIA memory card.

It sure seems like the Flash-RAM is only for backup/restore or system functions. I went through my stack of manuals (again) last night and running from MEMORY mode is only possible from the very small system memory or peripherals attached over one of the 3 available rs-232 serial channels.

I guess that you need an i control to be able to use CF-Cards and also to set channel=4 ???

So, anybody here know KFLOPPY protocol? I'm not adverse to coding up a HandyFile emulator at all.

hachu

Aluminum
hello
running a fanuc 18-i control on a kia 950
had the same problem
got the adapter and a 4 gig card
no soap
looked at what the rest of machines were using
try a 2 gig card
non of that ultra or fast stuff
just a plain jane old n outa date 2 gig card
got 1 off ebay for like 10 bucks
I will look at my card tomorrow and tell you what it is
works great
have a good day

metaltech

Hot Rolled
It sure seems like the Flash-RAM is only for backup/restore or system functions. .

Where is the slot to mount the card?

I don't think it is strictly the i series that can do what you want, but the 20 wasn't designed to be a higher-end unit, so somewhat limited compared to other Fanuc models.

Your memory capacity is upgradable, if it's not at the max of the control's capacity now.

jCandlish

Titanium
Where is the slot to mount the card?

In the CPU unit ... the slot above the RSW1 switch hiding behind the packaging tape holding the battery in place. :ack2:

IMG_20130824_173258.jpg

I don't think it is strictly the i series that can do what you want, but the 20 wasn't designed to be a higher-end unit, so somewhat limited compared to other Fanuc models.

That could be. It seems the only expansion I/O is through the Serial interface on my unit though. Just as a question, do all i units have channel 4 for the S-ROM expansion slot???

Your memory capacity is upgradable, if it's not at the max of the control's capacity now.

I believe the memory is already maxed out with the 32K option.

So my thinking now is to write a Macro-B program loader that pulls 'chunks' of code over the reader/punch interface.

Can a Macro-B program load and register another Macro-B program over the I/O channel and then execute it? How?

hachu

Aluminum
hello
whoops my bad
I was in the front of the control
if you are running big programs
you can run off a card in the front
its like calling up a sub
when running a regular program
that is in the control memory
its a m98 p1234
when we cant do to program size