What's new
What's new

Fanuc Lathe Zero Return Issue

Check if these parameters are available on your control ...

Parameter 1321 defines the lower-left corner and parameter 1320 defines the upper-right corner of a rectangular area where the tool is allowed to move. The area outside this rectangle becomes the prohibited zone where the tool would not enter (it stops at the boundary even if programmed that way).
I don't have any 1300s parameters in my control. It goes from 1-999 and then up to 8100-8200

Early in this thread, I asked you if the reference lights came on and you did not reply, so I am assuming they did. I had this problem sporadically over many years.

Mark where the slide stops when you reference in X. This will be from memory as I'm retired now. Fanuc controlled Johnford. Thinking the parameter was around #120. Both X and Z parameters were next to each other and labled to reflect X and Z, don't remember the exact wording. Let's say the X was 60000. Make a note of this. Increase this to 70000, shut down and re-reference. Note the X location again. Keep doing this until the slide makes the reference limit. Then change the parameter back to the original setting.
Thanks for the reply!

Sorry I never got back to you on your initial response, but yes, the reference lights do turn on. I've got the parameter data table sheet in front of me and the only values in the 120s that aren't zeroes is #121 which has me punch in 100.

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry I never got back to you on your initial response, but yes, the reference lights do turn on. I've got the parameter data table sheet in front of me and the only values in the 120s that aren't zeroes is #121 which has me punch in 100.
It took qualified engineer and I a couple of weeks to figure this glitch out. Course the engineer could not spend the whole time with this problem, so it took a while. After that, it was a quick fix. Do note the parameter number is from memory and yours may be in a different order. The main thing is to look for the X axis in the parameter description.
After it happened, I got in the habit of watching for the X reference limit to make. The program will run, so be careful, it's a hard crash in the future if you don't catch it.

It took qualified engineer and I a couple of weeks to figure this glitch out. Course the engineer could not spend the whole time with this problem, so it took a while. After that, it was a quick fix. Do note the parameter number is from memory and yours may be in a different order. The main thing is to look for the X axis in the parameter description.
After it happened, I got in the habit of watching for the X reference limit to make. The program will run, so be careful, it's a hard crash in the future if you don't catch it.
It looks like change parameter 508 from -5000 to -6000 made it home correctly on the X-axis. Can I leave it as -6000 or will this cause other issues?

Try jogging the table all the way down in X and as close to the spindle as you can get in Z, then home it, my Deawoo slide lathe does the same thing if It doesn't have enough room to move to Ref., and Ref. in rapid.

It looks like change parameter 508 from -5000 to -6000 made it home correctly on the X-axis. Can I leave it as -6000 or will this cause other issues?
I always reset it to the original parameter. Once the reference limit is made, it should be happy, till the next time. I probably went two or three years before the glitch happened again. And later, more often. I noticed it would happen more often when referencing both axis at the same time, so I started doing it one axis at a time. That helped a little, but it would still do it.

Now that you know it happened once, be careful. Watch the reference limit to make sure.

For this to happen, is there any chance this to happen that it is the power going out (glitch, e-stop, whatever) when the X is all the way down already? So that after it drifts down a smidge more before the brake catches, then it is now not within the X param range of the HOME switch anymore?

This would get worse with time as well as the brake wears?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I always reset it to the original parameter. Once the reference limit is made, it should be happy, till the next time. I probably went two or three years before the glitch happened again. And later, more often. I noticed it would happen more often when referencing both axis at the same time, so I started doing it one axis at a time. That helped a little, but it would still do it.

Now that you know it happened once, be careful. Watch the reference limit to make sure.
I'll make a note to whoever has to do it in the future. Thank you!

For this to happen, is there any chance this to happen that it is the power going out (glitch, e-stop, whatever) when the X is all the way down already? So that after it drifts down a smidge more before the brake catches, then it is now not within the X param range of the HOME switch anymore?

This would get worse with time as well as the brake wears?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Before we put the counterbalance on, anytime the motors would lose power the table would drop all the way to the bottom. Now that the counterbalance is on it only drops by a small amount. Our machines run around the clock so the only time they really get turned off is due to power loss.

Back