What's new
What's new

Fanuc Oi-TC simple question

jspivey

Aluminum
Some preface: I have some experience with Fanuc controls. We have a mill with a Fanuc Oi Mate MD control and another lathe with a Fanuc Oi-Tx (cant remember what it is exactly of the top of my head). I have ran both of these machines, the mill more than the lathe. I load programs on both machines through the USB ports. My point being that I have learned them both well enough to be functional at this point.

However, we recently got a new (to us) lathe with a Fanuc Oi-TC control that does not have a USB port, only a Compact Flash card port. After a little bit of messing with the control, I am not quite sure how to load a program as the procedure seems to be a little different from the other controls. So my question is, can someone give me a simple walkthrough on what to do. I would really appreciate it, as the manual that came with the machine is basically useless.

Attached is a picture of the control. I made it as far as viewing the program that was loaded onto the the Compact Flash card.

Thanks in advance.

Fanuc Oi-TC Control.jpg - Google Drive

I've never used that exact control. I wouldn't normally offer help on something I don't really know, but I can't imagine there are a lot of people on this site right now, so here's my guess. The first thing I'd do is rename the program to just O0001. No letters, other than the O in front, and no file extension. (delete the .TXT at the end)
Next, get back to the screen shown in the picture, and type:

O0001

Then push the EXEC soft key. If that doesn't work, type in the same thing, and try the F SET soft key, then push the EXEC soft key again. If that still didn't do it, push the left arrow soft key, and see if there are any useful looking buttons in that menu.

Good luck.

This is just from memory, i will have to check exactly what thew softkeys are called when i am in front of the controller tomorrow.

1. Enter manual guide i
2. Mode switch to edit
3. press the O. list soft key
4. press the M.card softkey,this will open the memory card and there will be soft keys to input and output programs to the memory card.

Editing / executing an existing program

Assuming that the existing program number is 1234, carry out the following steps:
• Select the EDIT or AUTO mode on the MOP panel.
• Press the PROG key on the MDI panel.
• Type O1234 (or simply 1234) and press the O SRH (program number search) soft key. If O SRH does not appear, press the return menu soft key (◄).
Program number 1234 will appear in the program screen, and O1234 will be displayed at the top right corner of the screen. If the specified program number does not exist, “DATA NOT FOUND” will be displayed. DIR soft key will display a list of defined programs. Note that though the program can be searched in EDIT as well as AUTO mode, editing is possible only in EDIT mode, and execution (i.e., machining the workpiece) in AUTO mode. Background editing (discussed later), however, is possible in AUTO mode also. For executing a program, i.e., for starting the machining, first set the proper conditions for machining (such as offset setting, hydraulic ON, tailstock EXTEND, releasing axis inhibit interlock etc.), bring the cursor to the first block of the program, and then press CYCLE START on the MOP.

Displaying the directory of stored files on the memory card

• Select the EDIT mode on the MOP panel.
• Press the next menu soft key (►).
• Press the soft key CARD. The directory will appear on the screen, with the heading DIRECTORY (M-CARD). The first two columns show file numbers and file names, respectively. Use page up / page down keys to see additional pages, if any. Comments, if any, in the first block of the files can be seen by pressing DIR+ soft key. For example, if the first block of the program is
O1234 (TENSILE SPECIMEN);
then (TENSILE SPECIMEN) will appear in the COMMENT column of the card directory.

Searching for a file stored in the memory card
Files can be searched by the assigned file numbers. So, you must know which file number contains which file. For example, file number 12 may contain program number 1234. Carry out the following steps to search for file number 12:
• Press the soft key CARD.
• Press the soft key OPRT.
• Press the soft key F SRH.
• Type 12 and press the soft key F SET.
• Press the soft key EXEC.
The file number 12, if found, will be displayed at the top of the directory.

A lot more can be done. What exactly is the requirement?

Thank you both for the responses. I am off today, but will follow up tomorrow after I have had a chance to try again.

Sinha,
All I am trying to do is load a program from the memory card onto the controller. At the moment, there is only the one program saved on the memory card for the sake of keeping things simple while I am learning the control. Thanks for the specific directions.

Copying a file stored in the memory card using file number

The following operation will read file number 12 from the memory card and will save it as program number 1234 in the CNC memory:
• Press the soft key CARD.
• Press the soft key OPRT.
• Press the soft key F READ (file read).
• Type 12 and press the soft key F SET.
• Type 1234 and press the soft key O SET.
If this step is skipped, the saved program number would be 0001, and if a program with this number already exists then an alarm would come and copying will not be done.
• Press the soft key EXEC.
While the program is being copied, the character string INPUT blinks at the lower right corner of the screen. Copying may take several seconds, depending on the size of the file.
Note that file number 12 need not be a part program file. It can be, for example, a parameter file, which will be saved in a format similar to a notepad file, as program number 1234. If program number 1234 already exists in the memory of the CNC, then it may or may not be overwritten depending on a parameter setting. While working with the memory card, if it is required to see / edit / delete the directory / programs saved in the control memory, press PRGRM soft key. If PRGRM is not displayed, press the return menu soft key (◄). For coming back to the card directory, repeat the initial steps (PROG  next menu  CARD). Repeat the last three steps to copy more files.

That is exactly what I needed sinha. Got it loaded and currently running my first part on the machine. Can't thank you enough for the detailed instructions, made my life a lot easier.

That is exactly what I needed sinha. Got it loaded and currently running my first part on the machine. Can't thank you enough for the detailed instructions, made my life a lot easier.

You may like to read this for a lot more relevant information.
What I wrote earlier was copied from this only.

Back