What's new
What's new

Fanuc Oi-TC soft travel limits (2005 Colchester Multiturn 1000)

hend.engineering

Aluminum
Hi,
New to Fanuc, having come from a 1990s Haas milling machine, and now feel like a complete fish out of water again.

Just bought a 2005 Colchester Multiturn 1000 and the soft limits are seriously restricting movement of the saddle and to a lesser degree the cross slide.

Found the (13xx) parameters and X makes perfect sense, I have from -30 to +300 and the movement corresponds exactly.

In Z however, I only have exactly 327.728mm of real + travel, where numerically in the limits it should be exactly 460mm. I increased the number to 480mm and it only allowed a little more in Z but nothing like the 20mm I would have expected.

Can someone talk me through the absolute basics please? I'm clearly missing something.

Full bed travel according to the manual should be 1159mm.

Can you post the alarm numbers for the over travel alarms that you are getting?

Are you looking at parameters 1320 and 1321? Did any documentation come with the machine that shows what values should be there?

This post might be helpful in explaining the values used in the soft limit parameters.
Fanuc Oi-MD Soft Limit

It's been many years since I have edited my soft limit params, but I would highly expect it to be an actual position, not a total travel param.

I think that you need to keep looking for another param.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Although an option on some machines, you might have a Stored Stroke Limit or Check left over from someone else.

I don't have an Oi manual so can't give you the parameters. In my 18i manual it says you can use G23 to enter the inhibit area and G22 forbids movement into it. These have to be called on a line separate from other calls. Of course the zone is set by parameter, but again, my 18i numbers would probably be meaningless to your Oi control.

The numbers may not match your machine, but the functionalities are likely there if you can find them.

Although an option on some machines, you might have a Stored Stroke Limit or Check left over from someone else.

I don't have an Oi manual so can't give you the parameters. In my 18i manual it says you can use G23 to enter the inhibit area and G22 forbids movement into it. These have to be called on a line separate from other calls. Of course the zone is set by parameter, but again, my 18i numbers would probably be meaningless to your Oi control.

The numbers may not match your machine, but the functionalities are likely there if you can find them.

IIRC the Oi shares many of the same parameters with the 16i/18i. If I have a chance later today I will take a quick look in the 2 different parameter manuals

Thanks for being the only one to chip in. Seems I've got the wrong end of the stick with this one and the stated travels are only technically reachable with a basic tool turret and some other witchcraft.

I have since figured out the soft limit parameters and am a bit more comfortable with these now. Only run the one program but got a decent feel for it - Going to try a run of parts soon!

Thanks again,
Tom.

Back