What's new
What's new

Fanuc Spindle Motor Bearing

ced_will

Plastic
I have a Fanuc spindle motor (A06B-0731-B900-#0900) that needs a new bearing, I called Fanuc to get a part # for the bearing but they don't do component-level parts.

A local shop quoted me $1500 in labor to replace the bearing, I would like to find out the cost of the bearing beforehand.

I don't know anything about motors so I don't want to open it to cause any damage.

Can anyone here help me with the part # or recommend a company that can help me?

Thanks

FYI:

... and this could all be BS for all I know, but I was recently told that pulling the armature out is a risky business as for some reason you can ruin sumpthing if the armature and the stator touch.

Seems questionable to me, but IDK?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

FYI:

... and this could all be BS for all I know, but I was recently told that pulling the armature out is a risky business as for some reason you can ruin sumpthing if the armature and the stator touch.

Seems questionable to me, but IDK?

I think there's some risks with permanent magnet armatures de-magnetizing, although I think that's with older magnet materials and less of an issue with modern permanent magnets.

Some sort of flux directing sleeve is used for safety:

Anyone else want to chime in?

Reactions: Ox
The Fanuc spindle motor is an induction motor, not permanent magnet so no issues with magnetism.

There is a sensor in the housing and slotted sensor ring on the motor shaft to be careful to not damage. Depending on motor age and spec, the clearance between the sensor and ring can be as small as .5mm.

P4 (spindle grade) angular contact bearings and deep groove bearings generally cost around $50 for a size in the range of 30-60mm. That's what I paid in Taiwan, and I see that at least one online shop (don't wanna get accused of spam/promotion) in the UK sells them for this same price.

I've never repaired a big motor like that, so I don't know about the labor cost, but even replacing a couple precision bearings inside is like ~100$ in hardware.

Keep in mind that when a machine tool builder makes a brand new machine, the entire control system kit typically costs under $20,000 for a basic 2/3 axis Fanuc or Mitsubishi system. I see people selling that model of Fanuc motor you listed for upwards of 10,000 refurbished......ugg

I dont believe this is a pmac motor, so no worries there, and even if it was they dont just demag by touching another part.

Some of the fanuc motors use proprietary dimension bearings that fanuc wont sell, hopefully youre not up against that, but being that this spins pretty slow I wouldnt think so.

Naturally be careful with any sensors, test their functionality and duplicate during the reassembly.

If you are nervous about this project I recommend you have it rebuilt somewhere thats capable and comfortable with the unit. 1500 sounds cheap honestly, so if they are a quality shop thats exactly what you should do.

Back