What's new
What's new

Fanuc Wire EDM - Change Behavior when Cooler Faults

BajaFire

Cast Iron
Mighty brains of the EDM Forum,
I have a Robocut C400iA with a 31 iW control. When the cooler faults, the control throws warning #2064 COOLER ALARM OCCURRED. Oftentimes, the cooler fault is a symptom of a much bigger problem (like debris in the line, which could be from a blown filter).
Thing is, with a warning, the machine just keeps on chugging (and of course this happens on parts that I run overnight). Is there a way to change the cooler fault to an alarm, so that the machine stops cutting until the issue is addressed?

Thanks in advance,
Luke J.

I have the same machine.
My pet peeve is how that alarm causes it to stop updating the temp readout.

So the alarm will happen at night, Machine keeps cutting, Water temp keeps rising, I come in and the temp says 66F, actual temp 84F. Good Job Fanuc! If it was actually recording the temp it would alarm and stop.

The real fix would require a ladder modification for the machine. Cooler Fault = STOP

Maybe the following helps, never used it.

HANDY SETTINGS>>WARNINGS/ALARMS
Last setting on the bottom left, change the setting to "IMMEDIATELY", or something close to it (my machine is in Portuguese and running a ~40h program, can't reset it right now to change the language). Default to me is "WARNING"

I have the same machine.
My pet peeve is how that alarm causes it to stop updating the temp readout.

So the alarm will happen at night, Machine keeps cutting, Water temp keeps rising, I come in and the temp says 66F, actual temp 84F. Good Job Fanuc! If it was actually recording the temp it would alarm and stop.

The real fix would require a ladder modification for the machine. Cooler Fault = STOP
Funny I also have the same machine (well the 600 size), and it always shows the actual temperature, all the way to 31ºC (About 88F), that's the highest it ever got for me. Even the graphs under the maintenance sceen work fine. Maybe it's some setting on your end?

Also worth noting my machine is configured to keep the water temp constant no matter what the air temp is, not sure how that affects the alarms/warnings the controller throws. By default it came in relative mode, keeping the water temp the same as the air temp.

Thanks, fellas. I changed the cooler alarm setting to "Immediately" as Michael suggested. Seiki, thank you for the clarifying screenshots. I can't confirm this works yet (not a good time to test it when someone else is setting up to run parts on it), but it sounds like the right tree for me to bark up.

I have a Robocut C400iA with a 31 iW control. When the cooler faults, the control throws warning #2064 COOLER ALARM OCCURRED. Oftentimes, the cooler fault is a symptom of a much bigger problem (like debris in the line, which could be from a blown filter).
Thing is, with a warning, the machine just keeps on chugging (and of course this happens on parts that I run overnight). Is there a way to change the cooler fault to an alarm, so that the machine stops cutting until the issue is addressed?

Thanks in advance,
Luke J.

Thanks in advance,
Luke J.
We have 7 of the 400i models. The strainers clog up on ours pretty quick and will cause warm-hot water. And as mentioned the alarm strategy can be set in handy.

I added a larger external Y-strainer to the output of the circulation pump.
It helps catch the cellulose that was being shed from the filters.
But in the end, you have to 100% drain both tanks and let them dry over the weekend.
Then you can vacuum the clean tank out. It just flakes off after it dries and shrinks a bit.

Strainer : https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/431/44085K12
Filter : 200 Mesh

Back