What's new
What's new

FeatureCAM Question: Deburr Radius

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys

How the hell do I tell FC to NOT give me a deburr radius during roughing???
Even though I have set the "Deburr Radius" parameter in "Machining Attributes" to 0, it only applies to the finish toolpath.
The roughing toolpath will still have the outside corner rounding to the amount of "Finish Allowance"

IOW if I set the finish allowance to .010, the friggin' roughing passes will still have a .01R on each outside corner!!!

Thank You!

gregormarwick

Diamond
Guys

How the hell do I tell FC to NOT give me a deburr radius during roughing???
Even though I have set the "Deburr Radius" parameter in "Machining Attributes" to 0, it only applies to the finish toolpath.
The roughing toolpath will still have the outside corner rounding to the amount of "Finish Allowance"

IOW if I set the finish allowance to .010, the friggin' roughing passes will still have a .01R on each outside corner!!!

Thank You!

The brute force method of making FC cut point to point with zero corner rounding is to use trimmed geometry instead of chained curves when defining your feature.

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Hmm.... maybe I don't follow...
Are you saying that instead of a curve, I use properly organized geometry elements?
Let's take a square for example. Instead of chaining the sides into a closed curve, pick each side individually in sequential order for the feature definition?

gregormarwick

Diamond
Hmm.... maybe I don't follow...
Are you saying that instead of a curve, I use properly organized geometry elements?
Let's take a square for example. Instead of chaining the sides into a closed curve, pick each side individually in sequential order for the feature definition?

Basically, yes.

edit: I'm not sure that I've ever wanted to do what you want to do with a roughing path (why do you want to do this?), so I'm not sure exactly how the roughing passes will respond to this method. They might do one edge at a time, in which case you would probably have to remove the lead in/out and generate a toolpath feature that you edit "by hand" - which would be a not small amount of work depending on how many passes the roughing path takes...

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Gregor

I always rough with cutter comp turned on, and I use diameter cop.
The problem is when the tool is rounding an outside edge where the step is smaller than the tool radius, you get a cutter comp interference error.
No problem, just remove the automatic edge radius and all is well.
Except, in Featurecam that only applies to the finishing toolpaths and not the rough. For roughing, it still adds a radius equal to the finish leave amount.

So, the way around it is quite workable, but one needs to make a note for the setup guy.
Basically, I set the leave amount to 0 on the roughing pass in FC, but tell the setup guy to pad the tool dia by .01 or .02 in the machine.

gregormarwick

Diamond
Gregor

I always rough with cutter comp turned on, and I use diameter cop.
The problem is when the tool is rounding an outside edge where the step is smaller than the tool radius, you get a cutter comp interference error.
No problem, just remove the automatic edge radius and all is well.
Except, in Featurecam that only applies to the finishing toolpaths and not the rough. For roughing, it still adds a radius equal to the finish leave amount.

So, the way around it is quite workable, but one needs to make a note for the setup guy.
Basically, I set the leave amount to 0 on the roughing pass in FC, but tell the setup guy to pad the tool dia by .01 or .02 in the machine.

I get it.

I never use full dia comp, wear comp only, and usually only for finish passes so I have never encountered this...