What's new
What's new

FEELER Vertical Machining Center VB-1650

rmnyyz

Plastic
Can anyone help me? I am new to FEELER machines and have looked high and low for the hydraulic reservoir. I have run many different machines but have never had an issue finding and topping up their hydraulics. Other than removing all covers around the machine, I am stumped. lol.

We have a Feeler VB-900 in my shop. For our model, there isn't one, at least not that I can find. Everything is pneumatic and electric pretty much. There is spindle cooler oil fill in the head, a clamp/unclamp oil in the head, way lube in back, lubricating oil for the cam box. If you look at the specs on Methods for the 1650, I don't see any reference about hydraulics either. The only reference I see on our machine is in the maintenance checklist, it calls out for checking the main hydraulic unit and cleaning the filter, but in remarks it calls those optional. The manual is less than helpful usually, due to poor translations from Taiwanese to English.

Yes the manuals are more confusing than anything. Having said that, I do see that it says to check and replenish all liquid levels including coolant, hydraulic oil and lubricant oil. Spindle oil is on front of head clearly and easy, lube oil is at back and no problem. Coolant a no brainer. It certainly sounds to me that the hydraulics are starving first thing in the morning. I also, in last couple of days, had the machine stop mid-auto cycle with these two alarms... spindle cool alarm #EX1020, and high/low gears oil to low #EX1400. Sometimes happens a couple of times, but then for the rest of the day it runs fine. Quite perplexed here.

Call Methods, or whomever you bought it from, and ask for a detailed explanation of where the sight glass and fill port are for hydraulics? I'm genuinely curious now.

Yes the manuals are more confusing than anything. Having said that, I do see that it says to check and replenish all liquid levels including coolant, hydraulic oil and lubricant oil. Spindle oil is on front of head clearly and easy, lube oil is at back and no problem. Coolant a no brainer. It certainly sounds to me that the hydraulics are starving first thing in the morning. I also, in last couple of days, had the machine stop mid-auto cycle with these two alarms... spindle cool alarm #EX1020, and high/low gears oil to low #EX1400. Sometimes happens a couple of times, but then for the rest of the day it runs fine. Quite perplexed here.
Call Methods, or whomever you bought it from, and ask for a detailed explanation of where the sight glass and fill port are for hydraulics? I'm genuinely curious now.
I will. That's the next move.

I will. That's the next move.
I emailed Methods and still no logical answer. They said the chiller unit at back of machine uses chiller oil, not hydraulic oil. They did not give me an answer as to where any sight glass or port filler for the hydraulic oil would be... if any. (scratching my head rn)

If yours is like our older HV1000, the unclamp cylinder is an air over hydraulic unit. There is a sight glass mounted to the side of the cylinder that keeps the hydraulic side filled when unclamping tools. This cylinder unit is behind a cover on the head unit, so you will need to remove the cover most likely. In theory, the system is closed an will not "use" hydraulic oil, but as the seals wear, the oil will bypass and the leve goes down to the point of not changing tools. Your first sign will be the tool knockout lessens, and eventually the tool changer arm is yanking the tool out of the collet.

If yours is like our older HV1000, the unclamp cylinder is an air over hydraulic unit. There is a sight glass mounted to the side of the cylinder that keeps the hydraulic side filled when unclamping tools. This cylinder unit is behind a cover on the head unit, so you will need to remove the cover most likely. In theory, the system is closed an will not "use" hydraulic oil, but as the seals wear, the oil will bypass and the leve goes down to the point of not changing tools. Your first sign will be the tool knockout lessens, and eventually the tool changer arm is yanking the tool out of the collet.
Interesting, but doesn't sound like my issue at the moment. I will check this out and keep this in mind. Thanks for the information.

I emailed Methods and still no logical answer. They said the chiller unit at back of machine uses chiller oil, not hydraulic oil. They did not give me an answer as to where any sight glass or port filler for the hydraulic oil would be... if any. (scratching my head rn)
I looked into the oil they told me was "chiller" oil and in fact its Mobil DTE Light, which is a grade 32 hydraulic oil. Getting more confused now.

Yeah, it almost seems like from the literature and that, that the spindle oil and hydraulic oil are the same. Even though they address them separately sometimes. Again, the literature is less than helpful. I guess the bigger question is what is going on to make you think the machine "sounds" starved for hydraulic oil as you stated in post #3?

The 900 also requires air oil in the back air panel, and oil in a cam box between the spindle and the tool carousel. The fill port for the cam box is on top in the back of that unit, by the tool change motors.

Back