Wael Elgasim

Plastic
Hello

I have the knowledge how to make spur gear on Fellows type 6A

I need help how to make Internal gear ?

I think i just need the knowledge how to reverse table or cutter direction

one more picture for indexing gear added 20220627_095014.jpg

Last edited:
There is a company that supports those for parts, service, training, and documentation. You might have to do a little looking, but it's there. I think it's called "Bourne and Koch."

You need the internal gear attachment from Fellows, ie a arm with a gear on it so the table is rev..
That's for a 7 or an 8. On a 6, just put an idler in the index gear train and run the crank over to the other side of the crankshaft so it relieves in the opposite direction.

Possible I've forgotten something but that should be it.

Don't go to Bourne & Koch unless you never want to fart again. Fleabay or anywhere else is better.

You need the internal gear attachment from Fellows, ie a arm with a gear on it so the table is rev...Phil
That's for a 7 or an 8. On a 6, just put an idler in the index gear train and run the crank over to the other side of the crankshaft so it relieves in the opposite direction.

Possible I've forgotten something but that should be it.
The arm with the gear is how you put the idler in the gear train.
What EG is describing is how you cut on the upstroke on an internal. Ignore that unless you need to cut upward against a shoulder.

The arm with the gear is how you put the idler in the gear train.
What EG is describing is how you cut on the upstroke on an internal. Ignore that unless you need to cut upward against a shoulder.
I probably misunderstood him - you need an extension arm for the 7 and 8. The 6 doesn't use that. The extension doesn't have a gear, but then again there's no "arm" with a gear on it, really. It's just another shaft in the index train.

If he cuts on the far side, then you're right about not needing to run the crank across. I was cutting on the near side, which is probably bad practice, you're right. Bad advice, I'll go slap myself now. :(

Yeah, just add the idler to the gear train and run the cutterhead to the far side.

I probably misunderstood him - you need an extension arm for the 7 and 8. The 6 doesn't use that. The extension doesn't have a gear, but then again there's no "arm" with a gear on it, really. It's just another shaft in the index train.
He's still wrong. Here's a photo of the idler arm stowed in place on a 6A, at the lower right corner, but not engaged. That bar it is clamped to is a fixed part of the machine body, not an idler shaft.The arm supports the bearings that the idler gear turn on. There is only one tooth count of that gear, and it does not get calculated into the gear train.
6AIdler.jpg

No he's not "wrong". From Phil's description I thought he was talking about the extension you have to put on the crank arm on a 7 or 8. I guess you could look at the idler setup and call that an "arm" but the Fellows books do not, they call the extension and crank on the 7 and 8 an "arm".

BFD. I SAID "you need to put an idler in the index gear train" which is what this is. And you don't have to "add" it. Unless someone has removed the idler shaft bracket, it sits there all the time, you just swing it up.

Good photo tho, op can see what were talking about easier than hearing words.

p.s. Just loooked up above, Phil said "You need the internal gear attachment from Fellows, i.e. an arm ... " which threw me off to the REAL "arm" and REAL "attachment from Fellows" which is an extension to the crank ARM and is extra, not built in like the swing-up idler shaft on the 6. It's a simple misunderstanding of not-quite-accurate words.

Jeeze.

Last edited:
If you don't have the idler arm
I hate you :D

More seriously, if you talk to anyone selling these machines and say "internal arm" they will immediately think 7 or 8. For example

It's just easier to use the same terms as people in the biz use ... 6'es don't have that part because they stroke the cutter a different way.

Gibbs might be a good place to ask for a manual or even parts, actually. They are the longest-lasting survivor of dealers selling used gear machinery.

Last edited:
He's still wrong. Here's a photo of the idler arm stowed in place on a 6A, at the lower right corner, but not engaged. That bar it is clamped to is a fixed part of the machine body, not an idler shaft.The arm supports the bearings that the idler gear turn on. There is only one tooth count of that gear, and it does not get calculated into the gear train.
View attachment 367581
Exactly that part is missing on my machine

Where to buy from ?

I hate you :D

More seriously, if you talk to anyone selling these machines and say "internal arm" they will immediately think 7 or 8. For example

It's just easier to use the same terms as people in the biz use ... 6'es don't have that part because they stroke the cutter a different way.

Gibbs might be a good place to ask for a manual or even parts, actually. They are the longest-lasting survivor of dealers selling used gear machinery.
Hi
Am the guy who asked about table reverse

How to stroke the cutter a different way ?
You need the internal gear attachment from Fellows, ie a arm with a gear on it so the table is rev...Phil
Where to get it from ?

View attachment 367581
Where to get that arm from

View attachment 367581
Can you give me measurments please ?

I will manufacture it my self

How to stroke the cutter a different way ?

Run the connecting rod over to the other side of the crank.

But homeshop is right about this, you should be cutting with the table in the locked-in position (is it still four-points on a 6 ?), was bad advice to cut on the relief stroke. /Me bad, was an awkward part I was remembering.

Last edited:
View attachment 367581
How many number of teeth on the arm gear ?
also what is the diameter of that gear ?

Back