What's new
What's new

Fighting back against big company requirements

Portable Welder

Cast Iron
I'm just a small welding shop and have been in business since 1988, a company that I do a few thousand dollars of work for a year wants me to pay $ 1,200.00 to sign up with a safety company called ISN, unfortunately, I'm just a 2 man shop and don't have company manuals on dealing with blood pathogens, employee discipline and 10 - 12 other areas. So I sent them a email letting them know I'm going to decline any work that requires me making a company manual and paying an annual fee every year to belong to this ISN.
I have always had an abundance of work and don't feel like submitting to their requests.
Is any one else fighting back ? or am I crazy ?

All about your "ISN" rating...Lots of fancy terms and verbage...now all they have to do is get a lobbyist to convince those who run your state's decision makers (campaign donation) that it's the way of the future....

Doesn't sound like it's worth the money/time/effort for the amount of work.

I will say that after having to take bloodborne pathogens training every year, I feel I'm qualified to author the manual you'd use for that:

Bloodborne Pathogens Training (Annual): If it's wet, and it's not yours, don't touch it.

If the company wants it, why don’t they pay for it? Increase your rates to allow for this and other anticipated bull squirt. Kinda like firing them…
They're willing to pay the 1200 fee but I don't have 3 days to write a manual when I have customer's waiting for me to get to them.

These corporate compliance systems are an absolute racket. Whether it's diversity, sustainability, ESG, ISO, or whatever other feel good garbage someone comes up with; they are "Intellectual" parasites that attach themselves to the means of production.

Purchasing agents who support these policies need to hear clear pushback - not a polite; "sorry we will not comply" but rather; "oh, you're one of those people... Extortion is a violation of our company's ethics policy. Let me save you the trouble and cancel your remaining po's for you."

Then write it when you have time. They can wait.
You’re not gonna go out of business if you don’t write the manual in the next 3 days and neither are they.

I see a lot of posts on here about people jumping thru hoops for their customers. Fuck that. You have to train your customers.

If they really want to work with you they'll figure out a way. Having also been on the corporate side of it, it can all be "overlooked" if the right person gets involved.

As the business owner, I too would also pass on the work considering the effort on your end to deal with the paperwork and reporting that inevitably goes along with it. There are a lot of good meaning policies corporations put into effect, but in reality are completely ineffective.

They're willing to pay the 1200 fee but I don't have 3 days to write a manual when I have customer's waiting for me to get to them.
Ask ChatGPT to write them? I wish I was kidding.

I asked ChatGPT to write a health and safety policy statement for a construction company and here is what it produced:

“At [Company Name], the health and safety of our employees, contractors, and the general public is our top priority. We are committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for all individuals involved in our projects.

To achieve this, we will:
  • Comply with all applicable health and safety laws, regulations, and industry standards.
  • Establish and maintain effective health and safety programs and procedures, including training, hazard identification and assessment, and incident reporting and investigation.
  • Encourage open communication and cooperation between management, employees, and contractors to identify and address health and safety concerns.
  • Continuously evaluate and improve our health and safety performance.
  • Provide necessary resources and support to ensure that health and safety is integrated into all aspects of our work.
We expect all employees, contractors, and visitors to our worksites to take responsibility for their own health and safety and the health and safety of those around them. We will hold ourselves and others accountable for upholding these standards."

Like - you are agreeing to make sure everyone has the next Fouchy Ouchy?
And if not - then you lose your business status?

I'm the anti-conspiracy theory guy, but I don't need to enable them with any more power than they already have for the next go either...

----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

I'm just a small welding shop and have been in business since 1988, a company that I do a few thousand dollars of work for a year wants me to pay $ 1,200.00 to sign up with a safety company called ISN, unfortunately, I'm just a 2 man shop and don't have company manuals on dealing with blood pathogens, employee discipline and 10 - 12 other areas. So I sent them a email letting them know I'm going to decline any work that requires me making a company manual and paying an annual fee every year to belong to this ISN.
I have always had an abundance of work and don't feel like submitting to their requests.
Is any one else fighting back ? or am I crazy ?

Hallelujah

Somebodies finally taking a stand.
Somebodies finally sticking it the man

------------------------------------------

next time I have to fill out a vendor form, I'm going to tell them

No I'm not playing by your rules anymore!
Ok no problem your off the vendors list!

Six months later when works slow

That vendors form, too late to send it in?
Yes
F'
Probably shouldn't have told me where to stick that pdf!

I've seen reddit posts where restaurants are adding things like "Healthcare for staff" and some small transaction charge to each bill.

I seriously wonder what some of these big companies would do if you broke it out, line by line on the bill. Labor, materials, AS9100 compliance, ISN compliance. I mean this seriously.

The normal process would be to wrap it in the shop overhead but, if only a few customers are demanding it, let them pay for it and know where the cost is coming from. If it's broken up that way, they might be able to creatively code it in their accounting system for tax purposes too.

Hallelujah

Somebodies finally taking a stand.
Somebodies finally sticking it the man

------------------------------------------

next time I have to fill out a vendor form, I'm going to tell them

No I'm not playing by your rules anymore!
Ok no problem your off the vendors list!

Six months later when works slow

That vendors form, too late to send it in?
Yes
F'
Probably shouldn't have told me where to stick that pdf!

Would you really fold when times get tough? 🤔

Back