What's new
What's new

Fighting fraud

michiganbuck

Diamond
Some guy just called asking about my Medicare.
Asked if I got my new card ..I said my card date is 2008
Then he asks can you tell me the number on your card.
I say if you know my name and address and are truly from Medicare then you should know my card number.
If you wish to send me a new card then do so.

mrSanders62

Cast Iron
Some guy just called asking about my Medicare.
Asked if I got my new card ..I said my card date is 2008
Then he asks can you tell me the number on your card.
I say if you know my name and address and are truly from Medicare then you should know my card number.
If you wish to send me a new card then do so.
We've had it since the beginning of the pandemic, probably all the crooks have gone online because of quarantine measures. We get calls from "bank security service" and they want to get access to card or personal account data

Freedommachine

Hot Rolled
Does that actuality work or is it an urban myth?
Not understanding the how at a techie level with credit cards and how they function.
Bob

I have an rfid protection wallet and it does work - it's just two aluminum plates and your cards are sandwiched between them.

I use credit cards for any digital transactions and pay off the balance every month. Credit card companies offer much better fraud protection than banks do. They pay me to use their service with cash back rewards and it keeps my credit score up as well.

I am also curious about the title fraud thing and identity theft protection. I too have only heard about it from sales pitches.

michiganbuck

Diamond
I had that china-sounding voice call me on my home line tell me there was an error in my something and that I must give access to my computer from the Microsoft office by following these instructions.

I said "What are you talking about I don't even have a computer.

Yes, you do / No I don't, Yes you do. / No...

Before he hung up he said, "You are just a GD MFer"...

Scottl

Diamond
I have heard about this, mostly from companies charging for protection.

It sounds like a scare tactic to drum up business. I do not think a fraudulent lien or deed transfer would withstand even the slightest challenge. If this were the case the Brooklyn bridge would be changing hands daily.

I think it might be a problem in some states with very poor controls but I agree it is likely more a sales tactic as we have a lot of developers and realtors in the family and none have ever mentioned hearing of such a case.

In the banking world with electronic transfers there are numerous scams but usually you are protected against loss unless you've actively participated such a sending funds to a scammer. A big scam here against the elderly is people calling pretending to be a grandchild in trouble who will be jailed unless grandma pays by giving the caller account numbers etc. No way to get those fund back because they bounce them between accounts around the globe to obscure any trail.

Scottl

Diamond
I had that china-sounding voice call me on my home line tell me there was an error in my something and that I must give access to my computer from the Microsoft office by following these instructions.

I said "What are you talking about I don't even have a computer.

Yes, you do / No I don't, Yes you do. / No...

Before he hung up he said, "You are just a GD MFer"...

I had a friend who had worked in one of those telemarket boiler rooms for a brief period after graduating. He said if they are selling shoes tell them you have no feet.

I've had callers pretending to be law enforcement get angry when I tell them I must take their info and call them back through their force's main line to verify that they are who they claim. I always respond that "If you are who you claim to be you understand how the process works, so unless you can send your badge over the wires that's how it will work." The response is usually a hangup.

Bill D

Diamond
Several times in the last few days I go to ebay and the page is in russian. I assume putin hackers did this. click a few times and it is back to English