What's new
What's new

Fighting fraud

Notifications are by email. Yes, that could get hacked too. That is the point. Identity theft and cybercrime are a huge threat now that so many aspects of our lives are accessed remotely.

Think about your retirement savings as cash in a safe. I’d want a big safe with lots of armor and a lock with lots of redundancy. I’d want the safe in a secure building with alarms. I’d want to know guards could get to it before some could break into it. Somehow, somebody convinced me to store it in a cellphone.

That doesnt sound much different from a shop sending you a message as you walk past.........except you wont get STD from the shop....I imagine.........incidentally ,I see on a conspiracy site that Bitcoin was invented by the CIA.......obviously they wont be needing any more taxpayer money.

The ugly secret they don’t want you to know - Insider Threats.
Or equally pointless, they hassle you to death to create nineteen letter passwords with lower and uppercase letters, numbers, and at least one forbidden character, just so Target can hand out all the data on 80,000 people at a time. Or the stupidass IRS decides that a private party with no known controls gets to run physical recognition tests for all taxpayers. wtf was in their heads ?

Keep a couple hundred bucks on their stupid card and the rest in cash between the mattress and the box spring. It's safer.

(And they won't be able to tell you "you can only withdraw $50" like they did to people in Greece and now Afghanistan, when the banks flock up beyond all belief.)

Internet fraud must be the No1 growth industry in the UK. You never hear of banks being robbed or armoured car hold ups anymore. Robbing via the internet is easy and nobody gets caught.

I hear programmes about it all the time. The latest one was about a guy who’d paid up his mortgage, lived on his own, and who was away from home a lot. He gets back from a trip away, tries his key in the door and it won’t work. He can see somebody inside the house so he bangs on the door. A guy comes to the door and our guy can see he’s doing work in the hallway.

Our guy says “ What the fuck are you doing in my house ? “ The builder guy says “ Your house ? get to fuck, I’m doing work for another guy who just bought it “.

So our guy and the builder call the “ new “ owner and the police.

The bottom line is whilst our guy was away the scammers applied for a copy of his lands deeds from the land registry, advertised and then sold the house to the new guy . Apparently the land registry don’t do any real checks ! I can bear this out because about 5 years ago I lost my deeds ( long story ) and I had no trouble getting a copy.

The kicker is according to UK law the guy with the new deeds owns the house so our guy has had his house stolen from under him and he can’t do anything about it in law. The new guy now owns the house. If I hadn’t have heard this on BBC radio with my own ears I wouldn’t have believed it ! How can a house be stolen !

I did find out that you can apply to the Land Registry for a facility whereby they inform you of any applications regarding your deeds. So that’s what I’ve done.

Obviously the scammers need - A) a house were the mortgage has been paid in full. B) a house that is left un occupied for significant amounts of time.

Look up “ Luton man left shocked as his house is stolen “ on the internet.

Regards Tyrone.

HolyFrigginMoly!!!
Unbelievable.
But sadly not a surprise.
The police are useless and the Gov dept doing no checks :willy_nilly: !!!
HubbaHubba, what a shitshow :(
Luton man left shocked as his house is ‘stolen’ - BBC News.

Tyrone - do you have a link to this please?
"I did find out that you can apply to the Land Registry for a facility whereby they inform you of any applications regarding your deeds. So that’s what I’ve done."

Thanks

Sorry matey, I was taking the credit for my wife’s actions there. She dealt with the land registry after hearing the radio programme. She drew my attention to the programme later. Is there nothing on the land registry site ? She’s out at the moment so I can’t ask her.

Regards Tyrone.

In Detroit, a vacant house is likely to be found rented out. Power is often left on to insure the house will not be listed as vacant so needing restoring to occupancy.

A crook will rent it out with getting first and last rent upfront..and a few months if not getting caught.
I know this happens because my son-in-law had this happen to one of his rentals.

Yes, you don't know if the person living there really rented it from some crook. or just moved in and then said he rented it.

There are no paper deeds here any more.....just an entry at the land title registry......I know the woman at the back of my land doesnt have proper title,as her house is still registered in the names of the grandfather and grandmother..who I dont even recall....the reason I know this is the Council gave me a master drainage plan with names of landholders ....She is seriously weird,posing as a teenager,and at other times as a peasant girl.....her father was OK ,he used to tip me off about the liberal party cell that met in the back street....I think he was a double agent.....the son was a bit weird too.

The police are useless and the Gov dept doing no checks.

With all the stupidness our government does one ould thing some of these bad guys would get busted...

But yes, some of our government people are just as crooked as the crooks.

A good law for elected officials would be a year in jail for every $10,000 they cheat for.

likely never happen. Some of these people become multi-millionaires..with neven earning that money. it must just fall out of the sky.

I caught the tail end of another scam story the other day.

Look up “ Lasting power of attorney fraud you and yours “. “ You And Yours “ was on to that one as well.

The UK is fraud central at the moment especially with Covid. I was getting a message a day telling me such and such a company had failed to deliver a parcel and they wanted my details to charge me for a re-delivery ! There are all sorts of scams going on, it must be a massive industry.

Regards Tyrone.

The police are useless and the Gov dept doing no checks.

With all the stupidness our government does one ould thing some of these bad guys would get busted... but But yes, some of our government people are just as crooked as the crooks.

That’s the problem, nobody is getting caught and getting jail time over these issues.

Regards Tyrone.

If there was such a law, and a few people want to jail the people who really wanted to do some public good might go for those jobs.. a year in jail for every $10,000.

I know of three big cheating events, that the elected perpetrators put thousands, and millions in their pockets and just got their hands slapped

Here in the EU, universal credit / debit / internet protection has almost killed these types of scams.
By EU law, all transactions are protected and any frauds immediately re-deposited to the account-holders account.
From the bank.

Thus all banks have a major interest in avoiding fraud, since they are the ones paying costs and interest, not the end user.
Magically, almost-all fraud disappeared in 12-24 months once the banks had to pay the costs, and could not charge the customer anything for it.
Cannot charge overdrafts, late payments, nothing, in case of fraud.
Any chargebacks are automatically credited by the bank.

One of the Big Benefits of the EU.
Previously no national government could stand up to their Big Bank, but in the EU no bank could stand up to the EU as a whole.
A 500k€ international fast transfer used to cost 3000€.
Now, it is done free (SITA with IBAN codes) or for 0.70€, per eu rules.

Most of the millionaires we know, hundreds, have a drawing account of limited amount (10-100-900k€) and a main account that is less internet accessible.
Not necessary, but prudent.
Doveray no poverai.

Most of the millionaires we know, hundreds, have a drawing account of limited amount (10-100-900k€) and a main account that is less internet accessible.
Not necessary, but prudent.

That's what I do but on a much, much, MUCH smaller scale.

Debit card linked to nothing with minimum amount, transfer money to it when making a purchase then it's back to not a lot.

WRT the mortgage scam I paid mine off a long time ago but never discharged the mortgage. No charges as zero balance owing, but it makes it a lot harder to have someone do the fraudulent deed transfer/sale thing.

PDW

My friend got caught up in a money scam that got up to $850 thousand dollars. He lost his own money and 25K of his brothers.
The law could not find the crooks..But because David recommended the investment to others he was the only to blame..His "on paper" money had gotten up 50K or so. He got some time in jail and a felony rap. The business he was just starting failed because the big retailer that was to sell his product would/could not do business with anybody havinf=g a felony rap on their record.
It pretty much made a mess of his life.

It was likely a part of the Ponzi scheme, Bankers and lawyers who were listed in the prospectus were real people..but those real people had nothing to do with the investment.

One of the Big Benefits of the EU.
Sounds like the EU at least pretends to have a government, unlike the US Congress which houses four hundred ninety-some whores. Ugly ones.

These particular scams are not common in China either, because those guys are freaks about following the process. No way in hell would they let some dude walk in with a piece of paper and walk out with a half million dollars. Have to go to Hong Kong to do that kind of thing.

Some guy just called asking about my Medicare.
Asked if I got my new card ..I said my card date is 2008
Then he asks can you tell me the number on your card.
I say if you know my name and address and are truly from Medicare then you should know my card number.
If you wish to send me a new card then do so.

Some guy just called asking about my Medicare.
Asked if I got my new card ..I said my card date is 2008
Then he asks can you tell me the number on your card.
I say if you know my name and address and are truly from Medicare then you should know my card number.
If you wish to send me a new card then do so.
We've had it since the beginning of the pandemic, probably all the crooks have gone online because of quarantine measures. We get calls from "bank security service" and they want to get access to card or personal account data

Does that actuality work or is it an urban myth?
Not understanding the how at a techie level with credit cards and how they function.
Bob

I have an rfid protection wallet and it does work - it's just two aluminum plates and your cards are sandwiched between them.

I use credit cards for any digital transactions and pay off the balance every month. Credit card companies offer much better fraud protection than banks do. They pay me to use their service with cash back rewards and it keeps my credit score up as well.

I am also curious about the title fraud thing and identity theft protection. I too have only heard about it from sales pitches.

I had that china-sounding voice call me on my home line tell me there was an error in my something and that I must give access to my computer from the Microsoft office by following these instructions.

I said "What are you talking about I don't even have a computer.

Yes, you do / No I don't, Yes you do. / No...

Before he hung up he said, "You are just a GD MFer"...

Back