What's new
What's new

Finding small hardware for a SB 9 B lathe

JoeJoe62

Plastic
I am new to PM and a newbie to restoring SB lathes. I took on a restoration project of a 1944 model of a SB 9B lathe. I have followed the process outlined in "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lather 9" Model A, B, &C." I have also purchased "South Bend Lathes Parts List For 9" Lathes." I have some missing parts such as a screw, spring and shoe in the right side of headstock that is inserted on an underside of the bearing supporting the eccentric bushing (Part No. PT376NR1, PT376NR1, and PT1075NR1). Also, I am missing the stop screw and nut on the opposite end of the headstock under the bushing supporting the eccentric shaft (Part Nos. PT377NR1 and PT1058NR1). I am also missing the screw and washer that closes the oil access point for the back gear assembly shaft (Part Nos. PT1151N1 and PT378NK1). Finally, I do not have any of the 17 change gears. I have been searching Ebay for these parts without luck. I do not want to buy and entire headstock to get these parts. Can anyone help on how to find these parts? I have had fun and frustration in the restoration process. I was never able to remove the taper pin of the handwheel on the apron )Step 37 of the SB Guide). I used a brass punch of the proper size but no dice. It wouldn't budge. I also found it impossible to remove the transverse gear shaft (Step 40 of the SB Guide) even using a heavy duty arbor press. I also made the mistake of getting a little bit of paint in some of the threaded holes on the headstock. I had to use paint remover and a dental pick to remove most of the paint and then used a tap to finalize the cleaning. The tapping process was very satisfying when the corresponding bolt glided into the newly tapped hole. Can you tell I am new to this hobby? Any help you can give me would be appreciated for finding the small hardware and the change gear set.

I have found these gears but am not sure if they would fit my 1944 model 9B lathe. Can someone identify them? Thanks.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 25
  • s-l64.jpg
    s-l64.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 88
I am new to PM and a newbie to restoring SB lathes. I took on a restoration project of a 1944 model of a SB 9B lathe. I have followed the process outlined in "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lather 9" Model A, B, &C." I have also purchased "South Bend Lathes Parts List For 9" Lathes." I have some missing parts such as a screw, spring and shoe in the right side of headstock that is inserted on an underside of the bearing supporting the eccentric bushing (Part No. PT376NR1, PT376NR1, and PT1075NR1). Also, I am missing the stop screw and nut on the opposite end of the headstock under the bushing supporting the eccentric shaft (Part Nos. PT377NR1 and PT1058NR1). I am also missing the screw and washer that closes the oil access point for the back gear assembly shaft (Part Nos. PT1151N1 and PT378NK1). Finally, I do not have any of the 17 change gears. I have been searching Ebay for these parts without luck. I do not want to buy and entire headstock to get these parts. Can anyone help on how to find these parts? I have had fun and frustration in the restoration process. I was never able to remove the taper pin of the handwheel on the apron )Step 37 of the SB Guide). I used a brass punch of the proper size but no dice. It wouldn't budge. I also found it impossible to remove the transverse gear shaft (Step 40 of the SB Guide) even using a heavy duty arbor press. I also made the mistake of getting a little bit of paint in some of the threaded holes on the headstock. I had to use paint remover and a dental pick to remove most of the paint and then used a tap to finalize the cleaning. The tapping process was very satisfying when the corresponding bolt glided into the newly tapped hole. Can you tell I am new to this hobby? Any help you can give me would be appreciated for finding the small hardware and the change gear set.

I’m in the same boat house with my 10k model c you will have fun and be frustrated at the same time but I’m enjoying learning about these machines I’m in the painting and finding part stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back