What's new
What's new

Firing an employee because a better option came along

Interesting to me is all those tv commercials about join the army/navy/airforce/marines, coast guard must be close captioned for deaf recruits. I checked they do not accept deaf enlistees. But aL LFEDRAl paid ads must be close captioned. I wonder if the recruiting brochures are in Braile?
Bill D

To the Op. If a long time customer told you they are dropping you because a better company came along you would have no reason to complain, would you?
Bill D.

Say you've got an employee that shows up on time, does exactly what he's told and no more. He's entirely forgettable aside from the stupid things he always forgets to do, like check coolant level after lunch even though he's been told numerous times to do so. He has absolutely zero desire to learn anything, just wants his check and to go home. Which is fine; He's making good parts.

Now say you've got a chance to hire a guy who is a known entity, is smart, is willing to start at the bottom and learn the trade, and is hungry. He is much more personable than the other guy, and stands a good chance to be a star employee.

You don't have enough work for both of them.

Do you fire somebody that hasn't done anything wrong, to hire a better option?

With gaining over 100 replies the Op owes these guys the results of his decision. What he did, and how did it turn out for better or worse.

Interesting to me is all those tv commercials about join the army/navy/airforce/marines, coast guard must be close captioned for deaf recruits. I checked they do not accept deaf enlistees. But aL LFEDRAl paid ads must be close captioned. I wonder if the recruiting brochures are in Braile?
Bill D
Sometimes the lower overhead of blanket rules wins over lots of extra space on the law books.
I’d make a case for common sense, but the courts have made it clear that common sense is unenforceable and the population has made it clear that someone will take advantage of any loophole.

If the Op does lay him off how long will he collect unemployment? How does that effect the ops unemployment payment rates going forward?
Bill D

Bill D

The weirdest place for braille I saw was on a drive up ATM.

I got rejected from the military for having one eye that does not have tunnel vision. I have something like 20/400in my left eye.

I qualified for aircraft mechanic in the testing..I know that does not mean you get that job.
I had two uncles who were that... and then they worked at Lockheed one as a millwright and the as a mechanic.

Back