What's new
What's new

First 5 Axis, Opinions

that actually sounds very similar to what i was doing in HH. if you're saying you can post that file directly from CAM, then no, i dont think you can do that in HH. but you can definitely tell a tool to use different radius or length values in different paths, as well as easy shift in your WCS for any specific toolpath, at the control.
Sure, you can definitely use different tool offsets on the HH and take advantage of the datum shift for individual ops.

The “comp” file takes that concept, and expands on it dramatically by storing it in a separate file that can be saved offline, and will automatically replicate all of those values if the program is reposted.

The HH controller doesn’t have enough power when handling string variables to parse out all of the data required to make the “comp” file.

I do a bunch of stuff like this, which again is a bit more complex than might be needed in a regular job shop, but the value is tremendous for how my shop operates.

Sure, you can definitely use different tool offsets on the HH and take advantage of the datum shift for individual ops.

The “comp” file takes that concept, and expands on it dramatically by storing it in a separate file that can be saved offline, and will automatically replicate all of those values if the program is reposted.

The HH controller doesn’t have enough power when handling string variables to parse out all of the data required to make the “comp” file.

I do a bunch of stuff like this, which again is a bit more complex than might be needed in a regular job shop, but the value is tremendous for how my shop operates.
i havent tried doing what you're talking about so i'll take your word for it!

For whatever it's worth, here's my feedback based on your environment vs ours and how that relates to 5-axis Mills:

Your environment is usually not less than +/- .003 tolerance. This is going to give you some freedom in being happy with machine results.
Our environment is in the +/- .0005 to .0002 total tolerance range. Machine has to be running "dead nuts" to keep jobs moving, repeating, etc.

We have both Okuma and Roders Mills. Okuma's are 3/4 axis, two Roders are 5 axis.

The Roders are new within the last 2 years. The Okumas vary, but are 5 years on one I think, and 8 years on the other, about.

In all cases we've had to have OEM techs out just after purchase, sometimes for extended periods, to track down and rectify issues surrounding runout, repeatability, maybe some other issues I don't recall. In the case of the Roders, our recent purchases, we had techs out for like two weeks digging into the machines. Weren't repeating & inconsistencies that were a problem. They could see the problem, they told us yeah, this shouldn't be happening, but in the end they ended up SENDING US A GUY FROM GERMANY to tune the Roders in to spec. He was here for like two weeks at least as well.

My recollection is that they said it was a machine specific issue, not something endemic to the product line.

BOTTOM LINE: My advise is, whatever you buy, make a concerted/conscious effort to take it through some test drives on sample parts. Double check spindle run out, double check repeatability part to part. Check all of that in all orientations. You do it, don't trust the techs setting it up.

I'm not suggesting Okuma or Roders or anyone else is dishonest. Not at all. Both companies sent people out in good faith, and I saw them digging into the machines for days, no goofing around. But my 2nd hand observation has been (the owner was 1st hand with them at the position) that even "big names" like Okuma & Roders have machines that need some serious love before they are running to spec. To spec as stated by the OEMs themselves.

As they say, "Trust but Verify".

Back