What's new
What's new

First post Tasmania Shenwai model SW 350 1975 information needed

VB1977

Plastic
Hi, this is my first post on practical machinist. I am a fitter machinist trained in the late 1980s by many post WW2 UK & European immigrants in a toolroom environment manufacturing copper lead crank & camshaft engine bearings.

I have just picked up this V bed 1975 model SW 350 Taiwan Shenwai lathe for a good price with face plate, 4 jaw and 2 x 3 jaw chucks, fixed and travelling steadies. Machine looks to be 20 inches between centers.

The lathe needs some restoration and care but for the most part seems ok in top and cross slide functions and the long travel feed works ok too.

I have not tried the screw cutting feed yet. This model is threads per inch only which suits me as most of my machining these days involves inch size Harley Davidson and British motorcycle refurbishment.

Does anyone on here know of information of Shenwai lathes?

Also is the color of the machine a Colchester color? Dove gray?

thanks in advance, David.

Attachments

• lathe 2.jpg
    lathe 2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 178
  • lathe 1.jpg
    lathe 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 193

donie

Diamond
1/4"X24 threads on old HD oil pump studs!
The machine looks like the old Jet imports, but has the carriage hand wheel on the right.
The machine should work fine for the basic lathe in a vintage Harley shop, performing the duties outline in the old manuals.
I know that, certified factory tech 1981, and ugly with BO too!

partsproduction

Titanium
The photos warmed my heart. My first non-toy size lathe was a brand new Jet 1236, very much like yours. But I had to have a GH lathe and needed to sell the Jet after five years to help pay for one, it sold for what I paid for it.
How big can a lathe be and still be smuggled into a nursing home?

PDW

Diamond
Hi, this is my first post on practical machinist. I am a fitter machinist trained in the late 1980s by many post WW2 UK & European immigrants in a toolroom environment manufacturing copper lead crank & camshaft engine bearings.

I have just picked up this V bed 1975 model SW 350 Taiwan Shenwai lathe for a good price with face plate, 4 jaw and 2 x 3 jaw chucks, fixed and travelling steadies. Machine looks to be 20 inches between centers.

The lathe needs some restoration and care but for the most part seems ok in top and cross slide functions and the long travel feed works ok too.

I have not tried the screw cutting feed yet. This model is threads per inch only which suits me as most of my machining these days involves inch size Harley Davidson and British motorcycle refurbishment.

Does anyone on here know of information of Shenwai lathes?

Also is the color of the machine a Colchester color? Dove gray?

thanks in advance, David.

Looks like one of the more or less generic lathes of the 80's and 90's. Most were pretty decent.

If you're in Tasmania and got that, congratulations. I've had to import pretty much every machine except one I own. Mostly when I head to the mainland over winter & see what fits in the truck coming home...

I'd just paint it a light machinery grey. It's not a vintage/collectible being restored to factory pristine condition, it's a machine tool made to cut metal. You'll only get it scratched & dirty again. At least I hope you will, else why have it?

PDW