What's new
What's new

Flat Belt Replacement

Shiseiji

Aluminum
Flat belt let go. McMaster-Carr gave a 3 - 4 week delivery time. I decided to try an automotive ribbed flat belt. Learned not many cars use a 33" belt. Decided to try a 34". Looks like it's going to work fine, surprisingly to me, it's a little tight. 35" probably would have been better.

1000000071.jpg

1000000070.jpg

1000000072.jpg

Based on a previous thread about getting a 33" custom belt made, I didn't think to look. Duh. I have a Logan 10" and splicing automotive belts is common. So I knew the serpentine belts have been very reliable and I could get one next day delivery.

Ron

I noticed you used a 6 rib belt. If you use a wider 8 rib belt it fits the pulleys perfectly and will give you better grip.

I used a Dayco 5080335 (8 rib, 33.5") belt and it's a perfect fit. You can get them at any auto parts store. Metric size is 8PK0850 for cross reference.
IMG_20221203_155743014.jpg

Thanks. I knew the 4 would fit, was too tired, story of my life right now, to do any more research on how much wider was the next couple of belt sizes. Thanks again.

The flat belts were to minimize vibration transferring to the spindle. Monarch even went to flat belts for the main drive, at least for a time. I wonder if the ribbed belts introduce some slight level of vibration into the finish, or would have when the machines were new and dialed in to spec. Dave

The flat belts were to minimize vibration transferring to the spindle. Monarch even went to flat belts for the main drive, at least for a time. I wonder if the ribbed belts introduce some slight level of vibration into the finish, or would have when the machines were new and dialed in to spec. Dave
I'd wager that a modern serpentine is smoother than an old flat belt given that they were joined with a metal link that would "click" against the spindle shaft each time the belt made a full revolution.

Does anyone know what type of flat belt Monarch used for their feeds? My 1951 CVA belt was continuous with no discernable seam but I don't know if it was original. CVA also went to a continuous flat belt for their drive train for some period. I have pulleys for both flat and V but used the V with BX belts. Flat might be more smooth but I believe they also put more force on the spindle. Dave

I just bought a serpentine belt and will soon install it on a 10in Logan (following feedback from many other on here).

When someone mentions vibration coming through the drive I wonder if they are confusing cog belts (ie. timing) with serpentine belts (i.e. banded). I can't imagine the vibration being any issue at all on a banded belt. Certainly if the pulleys are out in the open, I would for sure use a rubber serpentine belt.

For the 10in logan, I ordered a 7PK1035A belt. 7PK = 7 bands wide = 0.14"/band x 7 bands = 0.98" width. 1035 = 1035mm = 40.75" length.

Back