What's new
What's new

Foam to make tool box organizers

SBAER

Hot Rolled
I want to make foam tray organizers for socket sets as well as other hand tools. I have seen the foam that I want used by other companies that make these organizers but I don't know what the foam is called. These other companies seem to have a way of milling this soft foam so that they can get pockets of varying depth. How do they do that? I was thinking of laser cutting an layering the foam to achieve blind pockets

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 76
Are you using a laser to cut out the shapes or just a knife?

I wish. MK1 pocketknife. Here is a sample drawer - though some of the tools are out. It's about due for an update though. Some of the screwdrivers are missing and I'm going to get a better screwdriver set. That means a new piece of foam. Going to use the space a little more efficiently too, so I can fit a few more items in there.

pWZAh7w.jpg

I want to make foam tray organizers for socket sets as well as other hand tools. I have seen the foam that I want used by other companies that make these organizers but I don't know what the foam is called. These other companies seem to have a way of milling this soft foam so that they can get pockets of varying depth. How do they do that? I was thinking of laser cutting an layering the foam to achieve blind pockets

comes in many forms

Amazon.com : kaisen foam

LOL Even the indicator remains has its place. What a guy!

Lol, that's just sitting there, not cut in. Almost looks like it in the photo though, heh. It's been left lying where it was dissected. Indicator is only good for parts now, shaft was bent somehow. Somebody probably dropped it. I picked up a box of about 10+ busted Teclock indicators with a toolbox I bought including contents some years ago. Every now and then I pull some parts off one to fix another.

Multi-layer works well. Top layer is easy to cut all the way through for positioning, the bottom layer solid for cushioning. Glue if necessary when you are happy.

I found some youtube videos of people routing the cross link polyethylene foam with a special cutter. Going to try gluing some of that foam on a thin layer of plywood and milling it in a VMC, Mcmaster Carr carries the special router bit.

I wonder how pine or balsa wood would work? I will have to find some wood from a palm tree and see if it is usable for anything.
Bill D

Closed cell PE foam can be stuck together with a heat gun. You can buy sheets of two contrasting colors, which makes it easy to see what's missing. This is common in the aviation world where tool accounting is a huge safety factor. I used two sheets of 1/2". Not cheap. Here's a link with a video showing the process. I did it ages ago with a razor knife, which was a PITA. Laser cutter or waterjet would be a lot better. I think a CNC router would work well too. With a vacuum table, I don't see why a CNC will wouldn't work.

Jeff

I wonder how pine or balsa wood would work? I will have to find some wood from a palm tree and see if it is usable for anything.
Bill D

Be careful with wood choices, some may promote oxidation. Safe choices are things like Maple and Beech, commonly used for wooden planes. Mahagonny is used for storing tools, just make sure it is fully kiln dried. Avoid the varieties of oak. Pine may leak some pitch, Balsa is too soft to withstand extended use...a lot to consider.

Most of my measuring tools were purchased in the '70s and '80s. Some came in foam lined boxes or plastic containers. Regardless of the tool brand, almost all that foam has since disintegrated. Some rarely opened containers had the foam stuck to the tools that was very difficult to clean. I don't know what type of foam material was used back then, but obviously it was the wrong choice.

For us cheapskates out here (and we know who we are) has anyone tried those 2x2 foam tiles sold as either anti-fatigue mats or playroom mats (the multi-color ones). The ones I've seen have a slight grid on one side, and are smooth on the other. Seem easy to cut, but I have no idea of the corrosion characteristics of them...

I ordered mine from foam factory online website. Specifically its called polyethylene closed cell, cross linked foam. It comes in diff thicknesses and also different wieghts such as 2.2lb and 4 or
6lb. The higher lb is more firm and lower ks softer. I personally like 4lb. Used a mini router from micromark to cut out everything with a mix of diff bits. Glue with 3m 88 spray. Its sold on Foam factory as well as just about any hardware store and walmart. I didnt like the yoga mat crap type diy foam liners that yoj hear about. Some of those materials can actually damage your tools in the long run.

Most of my measuring tools were purchased in the '70s and '80s. Some came in foam lined boxes or plastic containers. Regardless of the tool brand, almost all that foam has since disintegrated. Some rarely opened containers had the foam stuck to the tools that was very difficult to clean. I don't know what type of foam material was used back then, but obviously it was the wrong choice.
I was going to say the same thing. I don't know what this stuff was (is?), but if anyone does it would be helpful to pass along.

Idk what kind was used but the right stuff to use is closed cell polyethylene. Chemically crossed linked. Its oil and water resistant and wont damage your tools.

Back