What's new
What's new

For Sale: South Bend 9 Follow Rest?

Chips Everywhere

Cast Iron
Hello,

I bought what was sold as a Heavy 10 follow rest, turns out, its too small for a Heavy 10. My guess, it's for a South Bend 9in lathe. I paid 200 for it, asking 150 shipped or best offer.

IMG_5854.jpgIMG_5855.jpgIMG_5856.jpg

Please PM if interested.

Will trade for Hardinge HC tooling.

Last edited:
Possibly not SB? If it were it would have a unit code on the main casting. If I had to guess I would suspect it's for a 9" seneca falls star lathe. My SF has a steady rest, with the same square-head adjusting screws.

I'm pretty sure its for a SB lathe, I have a Heavy 10 follow rest and its identical to this one, just slightly bigger. A friend who has a SB 13" and 16" also has steady rest that look like this one. This is a parts diagram from South Bend

Attachments

• Follower Rest.jpg
    Follower Rest.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 29
I'm pretty sure its for a SB lathe, I have a Heavy 10 follow rest and its identical to this one, just slightly bigger. A friend who has a SB 13" and 16" also has steady rest that look like this one. This is a parts diagram from South Bend

Look for the unit code stamped where they say it should be. For the record I was incorrect about the seneca falls guess, the separation between the mounting screws is much larger on that machine.

The separation between the mounting screws on my 10L is 1.25 inch, and the distance beween the centerline of the mounting screws, and the spindle centerline is 4.5 inch. Almost looks like that's what I see on your scale held up to the part.

If that fits my SB heavy 9 I'd be up for swapping the Buck chuck for it, if the chuck checks out and you're interested. The bolt holes on mine are 1 1/4" center to center and 4 1/8" center to spindle center.

Look for the unit code stamped where they say it should be. For the record I was incorrect about the seneca falls guess, the separation between the mounting screws is much larger on that machine.

The separation between the mounting screws on my 10L is 1.25 inch, and the distance beween the centerline of the mounting screws, and the spindle centerline is 4.5 inch. Almost looks like that's what I see on your scale held up to the part.

Not all tooling went out with codes, I have several South Bend tools and some attachments that do not have codes and where purchased N.O.S in their box. The casting has a 9W, but that is it.

I measured the follow rest.

Mounting holes center to center: 1.25"

Mounting hole center to follow rest "spindle center" is approximately 4.0-4.25"

Ooh. I have a rest like that for my heavy 9, I think. Will inspect that tonight and report back if it looks similar to the one you show.

Jim

I didn't know you had a heavy 9 Jim, that's good to know! The dimensions sound like a perfect fit for my heavy 9. Can't wait to pick up my chucks tomorrow :)

1) I don't have a follower rest for that H9 - but I do have what I think is an original steady rest, and there is no unit code number on it. Again the style of the fingers and the pusher screws, quite similar. Have not checked the dimensions on the mounting holes yet.

Attachments

• jrr_H9.jpg
    jrr_H9.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 50
For that particular H9, the separation for the follower rest mounting holes is 1.25 inch, and the distance up to the spindle CL is 4.125 inch.

1) I don't have a follower rest for that H9 - but I do have what I think is an original steady rest, and there is no unit code number on it. Again the style of the fingers and the pusher screws, quite similar. Have not checked the dimensions on the mounting holes yet.

Neat, I've never seen a Heavy 9. Looks almost like my Heavy 10, except I have a Cam Lock spindle and 2 tumbler gear box.

Yeah my big regret is the shop's not big enough to bring it into the basement. But it's warm and dry and fully functional. Keeps my motorbikes company.

I shortened the chip pan to make it look even more petite. BTW if the deal falls through (yeah right...) put me next in line please.

Yeah my big regret is the shop's not big enough to bring it into the basement. But it's warm and dry and fully functional. Keeps my motorbikes company.

I shortened the chip pan to make it look even more petite. BTW if the deal falls through (yeah right...) put me next in line please.

I'll keep you posted.

posted pics to your HC chucker wanted threads. I think it's a beaut - if I hadn't gotten a PB adjust tru chuck in the same lot I'd be thinking really hard about keeping it :)
IMG_0021.jpg

thanks to you Chips! I feel like I've found some rocking horse poo with hens teeth in it :)

chuck will go out Monday, I'll build a box for it once I finish my coffee.

looks pretty good to me :)
IMG_0064.jpg

didn't spend a bunch of time fiddling with it as I had other stuff on my plate, but the bolts fit perfectly and the center height is spot on. I thought it was off center horizonally until I realised I could just move the cross slide :D It'll take a bit of practice to get use to..

looks pretty good to me :)
View attachment 324289

didn't spend a bunch of time fiddling with it as I had other stuff on my plate, but the bolts fit perfectly and the center height is spot on. I thought it was off center horizonally until I realised I could just move the cross slide :D It'll take a bit of practice to get use to..

Nice, glad it worked out and that is going to be used.

Back