What's new
What's new

Forklift brakes poor operation in rain.

jeff10049

Aluminum
We have a Yale 5000# forklift about a 1980 model, anytime the brakes get wet such as just sitting out in the rain they do not work at all.
I have told all the employees to be aware of this, obviously major safety or property damage issues could occur.
However it is very easy to just jump on or forget it rained the night before and almost crash I have done it twice had to grab reverse, it's just a matter of time before something bad happens.
It takes about 500' of riding the brakes hard before they start to work at all, if it is being used in the rain you have to always ride the brakes let off for a second and it's another 500' stop.
When they are dry it has the best brakes of any forklift I have used, I have removed the drums they look good shoes have plenty of meat, no oil or brake fluid on them.

Anyone here have a suggestion for brake lining material that works when wet? is there such a thing? I don't think I can keep them dry very easy open to ideas puddles are a issue in the parking lot as well, I tried calling a relining place they had no clue about wet brake operation. Open to any suggestions or referral to a relining outfit that knows there stuff.

Jeff

That is a typical behaviour for drum brakes. In my years in the automotive trades I never heard of any type of lining that worked when wet in drum brakes. My only suggestion would be to cut some angled grooves across the face of the lining so it would tend to channel the water to the open side of the drum when going forward. Maybe some form of shield at least on the upper side of the drum/backing plate interface would help to keep rainwater out. The puddles ?? Slow down is the best I can offer.

Jeff,

I don't think there is any friction material that will work well when wet. I would crawl around the machine and find out what is channeling the rain into the brake area. If the machine has backing plates..which is must, then that brake area is typically out of the weather. Some feature of your machine is splashing water directly where is shouldn't be or letting it drip directly to the brake/drum area. Often there is a plastic or rubber plug to seal the access to the star adjuster, is that plug in place?

At the very least, on a clear day, use a hose to simulate a rain storm and see where the water is flowing in!

Very best solution would be to keep the machine under cover before someone is flattened.:eek:

Stuart

Water shouldn't be getting in there in normal use.

Check for
Missing rubber cover on brake adjuster slot
Sloppy fit of parking brake shaft that would allow water in
Missing or damaged seals
Cracks or hole in backing plate or damaged drum lip

Both sides or just one?

Edit: Sometimes Hyster/Yale have adjuster slot on drum, hidden by wheel.

Water shouldn't be getting in there in normal use.

Check for
Missing rubber cover on brake adjuster slot
Sloppy fit of parking brake shaft that would allow water in
Missing or damaged seals
Cracks or hole in backing plate or damaged drum lip

Both sides or just one?

Edit: Sometimes Hyster/Yale have adjuster slot on drum, hidden by wheel.

A 1980 model forklift with dry brakes that don't work well in the rain should be no surprise. By the mid-80's there were choices for sealed wet-brake models that do great in rain/mud etc. If you need to work in those conditions a dry brake lift will be an endless problem. May be time to upgrade.

A 1980 model forklift with dry brakes that don't work well in the rain should be no surprise. By the mid-80's there were choices for sealed wet-brake models that do great in rain/mud etc. If you need to work in those conditions a dry brake lift will be an endless problem. May be time to upgrade.

I disagree. They made cars with the same style drum brakes that worked for eons in rain, mud and snow so why couldn't they pull the same thing off for a forklift? Locally we had dozens of sawmill and reman facilities with oodles of forklifts, all working outside in the pouring rain and all had properly functioning brakes.

Stuart

It may be worth investigating the condition of the brake like linings/wheel cylinders/bleeding. If braking power is generally diminished it will be most and earliest apparent in the wet, just like cars.

I disagree. They made cars with the same style drum brakes that worked for eons in rain, mud and snow so why couldn't they pull the same thing off for a forklift? Locally we had dozens of sawmill and reman facilities with oodles of forklifts, all working outside in the pouring rain and all had properly functioning brakes.

Stuart

But all of us who grew up when drum brakes were the norm knew (were taught) that any time the vehicle was driven through standing water, braking power would be diminished, and the fix was ti "ride the brake pedal" to dry them off. Which further points to the fact that somehow water is getting into the brake drums where it shouldn't be.

Dennis

Back