What's new
What's new

Found this in a job posting: Is ANSI 14.5Y a real thing?

setlab

Aluminum
I came across an ME job position I'm wanting to apply for but there's something a little odd in the job description. I'm pretty sure whoever made it meant to type ASME Y14.5 (GD&T) but instead wrote "Engineering drawing standards (ANSI 14.5Y)" I'm pretty new to this industry in a professional capacity but ANSI 14.5Y isn't a thing right? All google results point to the ASME Y14.5 when I search for it.

I came across an ME job position I'm wanting to apply for but there's something a little odd in the job description. I'm pretty sure whoever made it meant to type ASME Y14.5 (GD&T) but instead wrote "Engineering drawing standards (ANSI 14.5Y)" I'm pretty new to this industry in a professional capacity but ANSI 14.5Y isn't a thing right? All google results point to the ASME Y14.5 when I search for it.
It sounds like they just had a "brain fart" when they typed it up.

Edit: ANSI 14.5 was succeeded by ASME 14.5.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. I bet if I point out this mistake I'll get the job for sure! lol

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. I bet if I point out this mistake I'll get the job for sure! lol
Ehhhh......... tread carefully. :D

Good luck!!!

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

I think somewhere on the drawings I make there's something that says "INTERPRET DRAWINGS TO ANSI 14.5" Which is funny, as after doing 1000's of drawings I've never read ANSI 14.5 and wouldn't know it if it hit me upside the head.

If it is anything like where I work, bullet points are provided to HR and someone who knows little or nothing about the position actually writes the posting.

ANSI was the equivalent to the old BS 308 pt 1&2 drawings, symbols and conventions including tolerance
I don’t remember a ASME drawing standard except weld symbols etc
So I’d guess if you told them it’s ASME when it’s ANSI you may well get a dear john
Mark

The Y14.5 Standard is the GD&T standard.
It was officially ANSI Y-14.5 until the 1996 revision when it became ASME Y14.5.

I took a GD&T class that was taught by one of the guys on that cowrote the standard. I asked why it changed.

He laughed and said it was because ASME paid for the donuts at the working meetings.

Back