What's new
What's new

Foundation for a mid sized power hammer

justin.mercier

Cast Iron
The dewalt that I got is an SDS+ shank tooling heavy duty hammer drill, from their pro line, its' what the guy at fastenall recommended, but instead of the almost 400$ they wanted for it there, I found it on clearance elsewhere for just over 150, I'm just waiting for my SDS+ shank 1" bit to come from amazon now, the hardware store didn't have one, drilling the initial holes with the half inch was like butter though =D

justin.mercier

Cast Iron
My 1 inch SDS bit came today and, holy cow, it was like drilling through wood putting the holes in the concrete with the proper professional level tools =P Now I just need epoxy to dry and cure, and then it's time to build a new motor mount, fabricate the tensioner arm, and get a new belt.

Rick Rowlands

Titanium
Yeah having the right tools certainly makes a difference. I have a Bosch SDS plus drill and i've drilled hundreds of holes with it.

You can also order drill bits from McMaster Carr if you can't find them elsewhere.

justin.mercier

Cast Iron
As far as the foundation goes, it's done !

Several cans of compressed air and some nylon spiral brushes later and the holes were clean and ready for the epoxy. Turns out that one tube of the Epcon A7 anchor epoxy was just enough for the 4 holes, thankfully, because it's expensive stuff !

I cut some 3/4 all-thread to 10 inch lengths and epoxied them in yesterday. Today I went into the garage, tossed a 1 inch fender washer and a 3/4 fender washer over each stud, and then double nutted each, so that percussive vibration wont cause a nut to spin off.

Now I just have some other projects that I want to do with the hammer to make it better in the new location. This list includes a few things.

1) Fix the broken brake

2) Find a 2hp 900 RPM motor (original spec speed) and fabricate a 5 inch drive pulley for it as per original spec (for 350bpm max) A 3HP motor would work as well, although I'd need to swap to a different VFD to generate the 3phase power for it.

3) Fabricate a motor mount to hang of the back of the hammer down low

4) Fabricate a new tensioner arm and bracket and mount it to the rear of the hammer in the original location and forge a new linkage arm to the treadle

5) get a new belt

foundation20.jpg

justin.mercier

Cast Iron
Step 2 should be done =D Found this motor for 200$ shipped to my door, used but in good shape.

Beats the heck out of the $600+ most places want for a true 2hp 8 pole 900 RPM motor

I cant find a 4.5 or 5 inch drive pulley for a 2.5 inch wide belt that fits a 1 1/8 inch shaft anywhere, so I figure this will be a project for the lathe to make my own drive pulley for the motor.

motor.jpg