What's new
What's new

FP2 Y-axis vertical power feed shaft repair

Hi Dennis,

The best way to quiet down the mill is a pair of peltors IMO

I have a pair of ear protectors hanging from the protective cap over the end of the drawbar. Nevertheless, I'd like to have the machine running as smoothly/quietly as possible. Yeah, it's not needed. But like a slick paint job, it adds to my enjoyment in using the machine and leads me to take more care in using it.

Changing topics, how are you getting on with your machine? Are you now using it on a regular basis?

Changing topics again, did the photo of that shell with the friction-welded shear pin give you a sense of deja vu? As Karl and I were looking at that, we were thinking of you (and very grateful to have much better access than you had!).

How much sound does it produce then
I have had them from 76 to about 90 Dba at max speed
You could take of the angle head (or turn it off) and measure again to get a idea of the amount of noise produced by that angle head

Peter

Hi Dennis,

I have a pair of ear protectors hanging from the protective cap over the end of the drawbar. Nevertheless, I'd like to have the machine running as smoothly/quietly as possible. Yeah, it's not needed. But like a slick paint job, it adds to my enjoyment in using the machine and leads me to take more care in using it.

Changing topics, how are you getting on with your machine? Are you now using it on a regular basis?

Changing topics again, did the photo of that shell with the friction-welded shear pin give you a sense of deja vu? As Karl and I were looking at that, we were thinking of you (and very grateful to have much better access than you had!).

I guess I have very sensitive hearing, just the sound of the face mill hitting the part being milled is so loud to me I reach for the earpro, and then the noise of the gears in my machine at higher rpms that I wasn't able to get rid of completely. I can hear and feel the machine perfectly underneath the earpro so that's never been an issue for me. I wouldn't be able to hear the machine without them I would say, the noise would just be too loud for me to make out any detail. So in effect, for me, the earpro helps me hear.

I haven't had much time to use it lately but it is fully functional aside from the piping for the flood coolant, bit I am getting along with a squirt bottle. I have vacation and so am working harder than ever, currently building concrete forms for a foundation pour for a storage shed, not much time for other projects, have to get it done while weather and free time permits.

Regarding the shared pin I have to say it looked a whole lot worse than the same area on my machine. For me the pin wasn't sheared, just stuck too hard to get out so I had to drill it out.

Hi Peter,

Unscrew the bezel at the front You have only little grip there so you probably damage it Then the switch comes out from the front.

I did not do any damage to the bezels to get them out. I just spent a few minutes turning a piece of 35mm aluminium to make a "poor mans collet" (ID 30mm). Slit on the bandsaw, and tapered slightly on the face so that it only contacts the anodized aluminium plate right next to the bezel itself.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The plating (nickel, chrome?) was flaking off before I did this. Underneath is brass. Does anyone know any easy "at home" process to replate the surface?

Cheers,
Bruce

Last edited:

Back